Author Topic: A collective raising of the bar?  (Read 15289 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
A collective raising of the bar?
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:57:08 PM »
Seems to me, that since being a vocal part of the poster collecting community online several years ago on the MPF, that many of us have gone down the road of quality over quantity (at different rates) when it comes to incoming and sought after movie paper.

Not knocking anyone's tastes or choice (now or in the past), but back in the MPF hey day, many of the posters in the 'latest addition' threads don't come close to ones 'round here as of late.

Many of us, me included, have been shedding weight...via consignment, ebay, trades, whatever.

I remember Mel/Forty Candles when he first arrived on the scene, was in a buying frenzy...many recent DS material all over his apartment. Now...take a gander at some of the incredible and rare materials gracing his walls...almost night and day in terms of value and rarity.  Harry Caul had a modern movie poster fire sale at one point if I'm not mistaken, and while he is certainly sitting on one hell of a horde, he is throwing out personal pics of old Bond quads and women roughly 50 feet tall like its no one's business. David/Fallen even sent his once revered pile o' 2000s quads to Bruce (drama aside, seriously) to get back whatever monies he could at this point.  And don't even get me going on Charlie...while you are still smitten with Natalie Portman and the Stargate paper of the world...you recently unleash a To Catch a Thief sixer. Damn, dude...seriously.

Myself...while I do not post recent arrivals that often if at all, I am a bit shocked and taken back by what I have managed to snag and for the prices I paid (and how I managed to unearth) certain pieces. Seriously, if you would have told me 6 years ago I would have some of the pieces I recently nabbed in the past year or so I would have laughed and probably would have offered advice along the lines of 'get real'.

What do you all think?
Are we collectively as a group starting to go towards a less is more approach?
Is this an indirect competition of sorts in terms of us starting to turn towards the wheat rather than the chaff?

Either way, I raise a glass to you all. Neat times to randomly drop in a poster forum, I must say.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

guest8

Re: A collective raising of the bar?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:44:55 PM »
haha .. well I am still picking up mostly modern crap :P .. But not just anything that strikes my fancy.

Ive actually been working on my "fine art" collection. Ill post up some photos when they arrive from the gallery. ;)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
it's a natural progression that comes from the learning experience

I remember the first time I saw a Hal Foster "Prince Valiant" original at the NY Comicon in 1969 for $100 and said to myself "Wow.. That's so great.. I'll probably never be able to get one of those".. I have since had dozens of them, including the great one on my wall.

You learn. You get older. make more money.. Things change

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:08:16 PM »
Are we collectively as a group starting to go towards a less is more approach?

Nope.  There are still plenty of Bieber posters left for me to acquire.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:19:49 PM »

T

can you put some up so we can egg them?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »
I was just thinking how amazing it is the prices people are paying at auction for posters in shitty condition. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
I was just thinking how amazing it is the prices people are paying at auction for posters in shitty condition. 

Examples?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 08:13:03 PM »
this listing surprised me over the weekend

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161402&lotNo=51284

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 08:16:30 PM »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 08:21:28 PM »

T

;D   

Im here to help the bar never get that high.   

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 08:23:18 PM »
it's a natural progression that comes from the learning experience

I remember the first time I saw a Hal Foster "Prince Valiant" original at the NY Comicon in 1969 for $100 and said to myself "Wow.. That's so great.. I'll probably never be able to get one of those".. I have since had dozens of them, including the great one on my wall.

You learn. You get older. make more money.. Things change

Wow, so the one member who actually considers the topic with a thoughtful reply is...Rich?  mesmrized thumbup

I was mistaken,

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 08:25:12 PM »
This is an interesting topic, Ben.

Question for everyone to think about:
Do you think people are starting to finesse their collections more because of the evolution of the digital poster?
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 08:39:07 PM »
Do you think people are starting to finesse their collections more because of the evolution of the digital poster?

I don't.

In fact, I personally think that once physical posters become extinct there will be a swarm of new collectors...jonesing for Watchmen DS etc all the way to matte Goldfinger one sheets.

For me, I have been buying posters I would be proud and excited to frame, hypothetically. It may never be framed, but it if was...I would be cool with it. Also, like Rich said...growing and change and more money and all that. Another reason for me is that I have enjoyed saving up and making a big splash. The incoming tubes and packages are much more thrilling that way.

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 08:39:47 PM »
Wow, so the one member who actually considers the topic with a thoughtful reply is...Rich?  mesmrized thumbup

What do you mean?  I answered.  I said "No."  I am not thinning my collection.  In fact, I am probably buying more now than ever.

T
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:42:28 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 08:42:07 PM »
What do you mean?  I answered.  I said "No, I am not thinning my collection."

You did, kinda...to be fair.

Beyond thinning, you don't find yourself going after bigger ticket items after all these years?

I was mistaken,

Charlie

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 08:45:20 PM »
And don't even get me going on Charlie...while you are still smitten with Natalie Portman and the Stargate paper of the world...you recently unleash a To Catch a Thief sixer. Damn, dude...seriously.

Either way, I raise a glass to you all. Neat times to randomly drop in a poster forum, I must say.

Thanks!  Yeah, my progression in better paper may appear to be taking off and it has caught me by surprise too.  However, when I first started collecting, as a country hick (didn't even have a stop light) starting college, the poster I desired the most was the TCAT US OS.  I even thought I stole one off ebay, which turned out to be my very first fake.  Needless to say 15 years ago, I never imagined I would ever own one, let alone the sixer...  Never thought I would have a BAT either...  I feel I am approaching a pinnacle of sorts with the sixer, as I never thought past getting a TCAT. Guess there is still a Rear Window OS/3S 'peak' out there to climb...

I also think that this forum contributes to the quality.  There are so many posters I would have never seen or dealers I would have never dealt with, without it.  Rich helped me find Sabrina.  Matt helps me find some rarities - can't wait to get my Place in the Sun.  Holiday got me into Japanese stuff, him and Hideyuki...  Let's not forget Bruce - like a damn candy store every week... Ves, Ari, Rick and Matt down under... I now have the 2nd largest Aussie video poster collection thanks to Dave.  Mel helped me score stuff.  My UK buddies Paul and Tob...  I feel like I am warming up for the Oscars...  Dario with the linenbacking...  Ted was proofing long winded descriptions about Black Swan posters that I never finished...  Even T got in the action with a Lebanese Stargate...  Z turned me on to Bob Peak - Still need that German A1 Apoc...  Peckinpah with German posters... Dave and his Mondo posters - Traded Frankie for Black Swan and African Queen... I still haven't told anyone about the urls  ;)...  Heck I think I was even friendly with Jeff when we chatted up Rick SHOCKWAVE.. My wife forbid me from skype after that.  Matias helped me find stuff.  Brandon, Mark Lawd, Ed, many others with images for my digital files... Scored that Megamind from Dale...  The Canadian Kookaburra and his noirs.  I could go on and on.

I think it is this community that has made us better collectors. That is why I hated to hear some of the thing said of late.  My hat is off to all!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 08:50:28 PM »
You did, kinda...to be fair.

Beyond thinning, you don't find yourself going after bigger ticket items after all these years?

Hm...  I always have, to some extent.  But bigger ticket is relative.  Is there a monetary number attached to it?  Is bigger ticket above $1k purchase price?  Higher?  I do purchase a bunch of those every year.  But it's not about buying more of them as time goes by.  It's about finding what's available and what pleases me.  Sometimes only a couple show up.  Sometimes a dozen or more.  I went on a spending spree at the end of last year, but it was motivated by availability more than changes in my collecting habits.

Oh, and I still buy the modern stuff.  I like movie posters through history, old, new, doesn't make a difference to me.  It's an evolution, and a short one at that.  Movie posters are only 100 years old, so I think it's a little early to be picky.

T
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:59:11 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 08:57:21 PM »
Wow, so the one member who actually considers the topic with a thoughtful reply is...Rich?  mesmrized thumbup

What do you mean?  I answered.  I said "No."  I am not thinning my collection.  In fact, I am probably buying more now than ever.

T

I guess I am just second in this case.
 gun1 gun2

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »
Lots of possible answer, I wonder...could it be a lack of fresh meat joining this forum (and staying) the fun of watch newbies (and we all were one of them once) buying up those pieces we wouldn't twice at yet we still get to appreciate their joy and enthusiasm of their purchase. I probably don't spend any less per annum than I did (probably more) but the volume is down as the wantlist narrows at the top of the pyramid.

Perhaps all this site needs is some serious SEOing and marketing to get new blood in here, then again new blood is competition...

David

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 09:25:18 PM »
In fact, I personally think that once physical posters become extinct there will be a swarm of new collectors...jonesing for Watchmen DS etc all the way to matte Goldfinger one sheets.
The incoming tubes and packages are much more thrilling that way.

Good point. It will be interesting to see the influx of collectors once digital media takes over completely though whether or not we will be around to see that is another matter!

The incoming tubes and packages are much more thrilling that way.

I agree. Exactly the same at auction - you win the gear and walk out with it the same day.

I personally find myself buying the obscure stuff that generally others wouldn't bother with, but from time to time I will buy a non-Bond poster.
I think my last non-Bond poster purchase was The Matrix holofoil credits one sheet in 2012; something I had been trying to find since 2005.
Although, most of my non-Bond gear is being sold and I'm only keeping the stuff I really like and want to keep such as the aforementioned.

I still can't get over that incredible picture of Thierry's dumping of posters in his back yard!
Perfect topic to repost that image!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 09:50:09 PM »
First off let me say this is a fairly positive thread (thus far) which is refreshing.  Maybe it owes something to that nostalgia factor of thinking back to being but a novice collector.  I can only imagine how Mel feels being a mega-elite 5 star collector now.  Must be difficult to remember those times lost in a glossy wasteland of hypermodernism...so thanks Ben for starting this...but I digress.

Charlie I admit I had to look up just what a Kookaburra is - I figured it was something downundery and I was right.  I also found parallels in this fact: The Kookaburra's loud call sounds like echoing human laughter.  It's true we're definitely all a little bit nutso in our infatuation with pretty pieces of paper.  Daybill collectors particularly.

Now back to the topic at hand.  I think part of the reason is something as simple as time passing.  The more time that goes by the more opportunities that come up (granted this is usually coupled with some very diligent work but on those rare occasions it's a freak accident of being in the right place and the right time).  For example when I first started my dream poster was a Big Sleep daybill.  Did I ever think I would see one for sale, let alone actually in a range I could afford? - only in my dreams.  But time flows by, you increase your craftiness (perhaps much like the Kookaburra itself), you develop your collector's bloodhound tenacity and learn to 'play the game' so to speak.  It's true some things fall in your lap but usually it is using those instincts developed over time to sniff out something(s) special.  There of course also needs to healthy doses of patience mixed into the perfect brew.  

So where am I going with this?  There are a lot of very nice posters out there that at first consideration seem out of reach due to price or lack of availability.  But, over time, through some hard work, a little luck and much patience those specific items that send our hearts a fluttering and our pores a pouring with sweaty desire can be had - and of course added to the collection to join their brethren.  While we are not strictly defined by the posters we collect, repeat the process many times over and "the collection" becomes something that really speaks for us as individuals; revealing our personal quirks and interests through the posters we accumulate.  The passage of time leads to an increase in both skill and dumb chance and the resultant pieces of paper that coincide...

As best represented in my once-thought-impossible acquisition of my favourite poster for instance displayed centre-right ;D :

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:53:55 PM by CSM »
Chris

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »
Interesting topic.  

A lot of people may think the artworks for the most iconic movies are the best to have because they are the most popular, and then they realize that there are a lot movies and art that is not as popular but mean a lot to them.  

The "great" stuff is relative, unless one considers only the most expensive items "quality."  Although there are only a few people here who share pictures of their expensive acquisitions, I'd say that there numerous additions to latest acquisitions, best of the year, etc. threads that really are "5 star" quality, and there are too many to mention, but it's definitely cool to see a lot of stuff here and be a part of this place.  

cool1
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:26:43 PM by NeoLoco »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 10:07:49 PM »

While we are not strictly defined by the posters we collect, repeat the process many times over and "the collection" becomes something that really speaks for us as individuals; revealing our personal quirks and interests through the posters we accumulate.  The passage of time leads to an increase in both skill and dumb chance and the resultant pieces of paper that coincide...

Agreed.

Nice setup.   thumbup

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 10:19:50 PM »
So where am I going with this?  There are a lot of very nice posters out there that at first consideration seem out of reach due to price or lack of availability.  But, over time, through some hard work, a little luck and much patience those specific items that send our hearts a fluttering and our pores a pouring with sweaty desire can be had - and of course added to the collection to join their brethren.  While we are not strictly defined by the posters we collect, repeat the process many times over and "the collection" becomes something that really speaks for us as individuals; revealing our personal quirks and interests through the posters we accumulate.  The passage of time leads to an increase in both skill and dumb chance and the resultant pieces of paper that coincide...

This is fantastic. Well thought and well put. Completely agree.

Love that Big Sleep, BTW. Between that and The Mummy one you have, you may start getting some more competition.  ;D

I was mistaken,

guest8

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:15 PM »
Wow, so the one member who actually considers the topic with a thoughtful reply is...Rich?  mesmrized thumbup

I resent that, even though i use a lot of smileys my answer was serious! :) I used to buy every Mondo poster released now I might buy a few a year and even when I try I seem to miss out (still sore over missing that Horkey TTT variant!) and I would also just buy up any other modern poster that struck me as the least bit interesting. While now It has to be some striking artwork or Batman .. or some movie that I liked for one reason or another. Then again the old me creeps out and takes over again, I've been buying up Hunger Games posters! :P I think it might have to do with Jennifer Lawrence, Im not sure. :)

And I did just buy 7 or 8 pieces of actual artwork, All Csaba Markus and a Romero Britto. So my my taste is ever widening but I still always find my way back to the "hyper-modern" posters that brought me to collecting. While I can appreciate the classical posters and titles and I do like some of the artwork. It just doesn't speak to me the way a new poster does (if its a good one). I mean really, how many people do you know that has a room floor to ceiling full of Mondo prints and two bus shelter frames that currently hold a MoS and Amazing Spider-man posters in their living rooms!? ;D

The whole pruing phase was just me culling the heard of the posters that I didnt have some kind of connection with or they were ones that I knew someone else would appreciate more than I did.