Author Topic: Is it ok to post a link to a movie poster giveaway?  (Read 19550 times)

TenPercenter

Re: Is it ok to post a link to a movie poster giveaway?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 02:32:34 PM »
Sorry man, I'm sure you're a very nice guy, but I won't have anything to do with Peanut.  I used to love MPF, along with a lot of people here.  I actually met Holiday on MPF.  But Peanut drove us away.  His obsession with advertising money drove us away.  Which is why we (Holiday and I) decided to not endorse anyone on this forum.  We are all about our common passion, movie posters, not making money.

T

I understand completely no need for apologies.  I went as long as I could on some of my earliest forums to run without revenue... sometimes they just get too big to do that.  I partnered up on MPF simply because I wanted to help run another big hobby forum and Movie Posters was my TOP-TOP pick.  I've been asking Andy for years if he was interested in partnering/selling.  I even asked Holiday this year he said no thanks.]

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »
Ok... Got it... No linking to MPF.  I apologize for taking the previous advice... I only had to wait a short time for a response.

(I don't know who Peanut is, but I assure you that there are only two Admins at MPF... myself and Goodfella).  I assume that that means Goodfella/Andy...he mentioned that there were a couple of old members that didn't like him.  I knew about Holiday...

Now you know the other one.  And there are many, many more on here.  The guy, Andy or Peanut, couldn't care less about movie posters.  He creates forums to make money through advertizing.  That mind set is what drove us away.  I can't wait to see what Ari (owner of NS4) will say about this.

Again Greg, nothing against you, I don't know you and I won't hold you responsible for associating yourself with Peanut.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 02:36:34 PM »
You would never see Ari come on here to advertize his forum.  Both NS4 and APF live peacefully and respectfully.  Greg can link MPF here, which is fine, but to open a thread just to bump viewership of a forum we hate, not on my watch.

T

Oh I get it .. its was tom foolery! I meant more that I dont think Ive ever seen a post disappear on here before. :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 02:36:52 PM »
I thought this was said in jest .. but did you already know who he was at this point?

Believe it or not, but we actually check who joins our forum.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 02:37:51 PM »
But Greg, now that you're a member, feel free to start a poster giveway thread.  You would make a lot of members happy.
My Personal Collection

TenPercenter

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 02:37:56 PM »
You would never see Ari come on here to advertize his forum.  Both NS4 and APF live peacefully and respectfully.  Greg can link MPF here, which is fine, but to open a thread just to bump viewership of a forum we hate, not on my watch.

T
Again... sorry to stir the pot... That's what I was worried about and why I asked.  I was unaware you hate the MPF forum, I just knew there was bad blood between Andy and a couple of members.

FWIW, we never disallow links to competing forums on my other (non-movie-poster) forums.,.. If Andy has that rule in place at MPF I was unaware, and I would never have tried to post a contest here if I knew that neither forum allowed cross-posting.

TenPercenter

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 02:39:19 PM »
But Greg, now that you're a member, feel free to start a poster giveway thread.  You would make a lot of members happy.
LOL, I dont have any I want to give away yet... I'm still adding to the stack.  The SO is actually allowing me to put some up in the living room, I may have another addict coming to the fold.

guest8

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 02:39:45 PM »

Halloween 1978 :D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 02:40:33 PM »
I even asked Holiday this year he said no thanks.]

Yes, I know.  No, we're not for sale and as long as we both, Holiday and I, own this forum, there will NEVER be advertising.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »
FWIW, we never disallow links to competing forums on my other (non-movie-poster) forums.,.. If Andy has that rule in place at MPF I was unaware, and I would never have tried to post a contest here if I knew that neither forum allowed cross-posting.

Oh yes he does!  Peanut has systematically erased links to APF made by other members.  You see, Holiday and I have never erased anything on this forum.  We want people to be free to post whatever they like, as long as it's not offensive to others.  Your post is the first one, so you can be proud of that.  That also tells you how much we dislike Peanut, who btw, has made it a habit to delete posts.

T
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:44:30 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »

Halloween 1978 :D
Are you giving that away?,yeah I'll take it.

Pm only dude.

Stew

TenPercenter

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 02:46:08 PM »
Back at ya Greg, but really you have nothing to worry about. There's a reason this site doesn't have any rules and regulations posted. Honestly, I've been here since the beginning of this forum and I don't even know who the Mods are! :P

EDIT:::

Here Holiday sums up the reasoning behind the inception of this forum.

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,15.0.html

That's as close as you'll get to a rules and regulations post around here. :)
Thank you.  Summary was that people left MPF due to censorship and haters.  Neither of those could ever be attributed to me.  Not that you would, but you could ask all the members of other forums I help manage and I would be at fault for tolerance and being too nice.

Anyway... if MFP is really that bad then I have work ahead of me. :)  Andy is preoccupied with promotions at work and illnesses (and deaths:() in the family and has asked that I manage a lot of the nuts and bolts.  (that I can do)  Again, if there are censorship rules in place at MPF I'll make sure we review them, and change them if needed.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »
I don't accuse you of anything, Greg.  Again, you seem like a really cool dude.

And believe me, if you ever take over MPF completely, we will be more than happy to reconsider.

T
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:49:29 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

TenPercenter

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2013, 02:50:11 PM »
Oh yes he does!  Peanut has systematically erased links to APF made by other members.  You see, Holiday and I have never erased anything on this forum.  We want people to be free to post whatever they like, as long as it's not offensive to others.  Your post is the first one, so you can be proud of that.  That also tells you how much we dislike Peanut, who btw, has made it a habit to delete posts.

T

I didn't know that.  I really didn't dig into the forum content, but we did spend hours talking about site technology, mechanics, workings etc.  Honestly, if that's not a posted policy (not allowing links to APF or any other site), then I'll work to change it.  That seems to do nothing but hurt the members...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2013, 02:50:50 PM »
Thank you.  Summary was that people left MPF due to censorship and haters.

We left MPF due to Andy/Peanut antics.  Nothing else, nothing more.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 02:54:58 PM »
You also know, I assume, that no one posts on MPF anymore.  Bruce Hershenson has been keeping it alive for the past 2 years.  See how many threads have had zero responses.  The numbers you see at the bottom were greatly inflated by Peanut to steal advertisers' money.  It used to go from 2,000 members on to 5 in a matter of minutes. If you search APF, you will find many threads about it.

T

PS: You probably don't know this, but 4 years ago, MPF used to be thriving.  And then Peanut started erasing.

T
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:56:23 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Bruce

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »
You also know, I assume, that no one posts on MPF anymore.  Bruce Hershenson has been keeping it alive for the past 2 years.  See how many threads have had zero responses.  The numbers you see at the bottom were greatly inflated by Peanut to steal advertisers' money.  It used to go from 2,000 members on to 5 in a matter of minutes. If you search APF, you will find many threads about it.

T

PS: You probably don't know this, but 4 years ago, MPF used to be thriving.  And then Peanut started erasing.

T

I keep it alive? I am not even one of the legions of advertisers!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 02:59:06 PM »
I keep it alive? I am not even one of the legions of advertisers!

But you post a few times a week.  That's more than anyone else ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:59:42 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 03:06:28 PM »
Welcome Greg.

Just one comment - so you joined in a managing partnership on MPF with very little knowledge of what it is and its policies?
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 03:10:35 PM »
Just had a quick look, seems like a poor attempt at our usual Halloween thread...
 Which we never did this year.

It's more than a Hobby...

TenPercenter

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2013, 03:11:36 PM »
You also know, I assume, that no one posts on MPF anymore.  .... You probably don't know this, but 4 years ago, MPF used to be thriving.  And then Peanut started erasing.

Well THERES a problem we can fix. :)   Mods at one of my other forums get frustrated at me that I dont allow deleting posts/threads.  Freezing a thread now and again maybe ... when it escalates into hate/insults/threats, but never deleting posts unless it's irrelevant  what we call 'insta-spam'.  

Yeah one of the first things I'd like to see, is more posting on the forum.  The content is there, and the long tail SERPS (SEO speak) is there so there's plenty of traffic from the rest of the world.  it's the posting that could use a boost.  There are plenty of reasons for newbies/researches to come to the forum but for those that need instant advice... we need veterans posting.  

It'll be a fun little project for the next couple of years.  

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
Just had a quick look, seems like a poor attempt at our usual Halloween thread...

There's still time for the non-Aussies (who are basically non-persons anyways - especially David right now!)
Chris

TenPercenter

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »
Welcome Greg.

Just one comment - so you joined in a managing partnership on MPF with very little knowledge of what it is and its policies?
  Not exactly.  I went over posting policies during a two-hour discussion regarding a whole host of topics.  Commercial posting policies (spam) and banning offenses such physical threats and repeated abuse are the topics we went over.  I never thought to ask if there is a rule against posting to other poster forums.

TenPercenter

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »

Ok, it was a poor attempt but it's what I came up with in an evening. We'll do a better one next time. :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2013, 03:15:47 PM »
  Not exactly.  I went over posting policies during a two-hour discussion regarding a whole host of topics.  Commercial posting policies (spam) and banning offenses such physical threats and repeated abuse are the topics we went over.  I never thought to ask if there is a rule against posting to other poster forums.

Did actual membership counts or relative forum activity (i.e. frequency of posting) or advertising revenue come up?
Chris