Author Topic: Our January Auction is pretty awesome and closes Sunday the 27th  (Read 13544 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Just wanted to post a little reminder that Sunday evening our January auction will be ending and it really has our best and widest selection yet.
Breeze through the listings here: http://www.movieposterexchange.com/buy.php?list=weekly

And take a look at some selected items below:

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Our January Auction is pretty awesome and closes Sunday the 27th
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:58:19 AM »
Hi,

I must admit to being new to this site.  Thanks for highlighting.

However, am I right in thinking there are two types of auction?  I click on your January Auction and then James Bond, and only one item pops up.  Playing around still further leads me to ignore the Jan Auction, go to Advanced Search, tick click James Bond and whole raft of other items pop up...?

Also, the FAQ seems to suggest, like ebay, you just list the item and it is up for auction.  So, then I am not following the January auction offer whereby clearly, some items are scheduled.

Also, how does one get in touch with Sellers to ask questions?

Apologies if I am missing one or several points.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:39:17 AM by Simes »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:20:50 AM »
Hi Simes, the site isn't new, it should be easier to use by now. In my opinion the navigation is a balls up - unintuitive/hard to use/confusing...

The top is full of clutter and I would imagine this is contributing to your experience. There are 6 rows of information/menus up there, I think you missed probably the most important menu.

What you'll need to focus on is the menu I highlighted below in orange, which is easily missed amongst the other guff (side note: why 2 identical looking facebook links next to each other).
- Your first results showed 1 result in the auction section "Live Auction" tab (side note: who knows why there are 2 active menu tabs..., its not done elsewhere, for a very good reason...).
- Your 2nd search throws you to the first tab "See all Items" tab, which includes 13 results: 12 buy it nows + the 1 auction item above.

For navigation, the site tries to be too clever without letting the user know whats going on.

I could list countless problems with the navigation, here is one easy to explain, it is a direct link showing a poster in the stills section. Oh, maybe type 'James Bond' in the 'Search Auctions' text box and you'll get 90% Buy It Nows instead, Search on 'James Bond' then click between the tabs and your search filter on 'James Bond' is lost.

Finding a product needs to be simple and intuitive, else it is a fundamental problem for a site, which of course equal lost dollars/customers.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 09:03:48 AM »
Hey fella - thanks for the response.  Am sure the site isn't new, but I am new to it.

You are completely right, the navigation is f--king awful.  I hadn't even come across that highlighted menu bar and had to click this and that before going to the Buy button at top to show this sub menu.

Whichever way you do this though, what is disconcerting is that if you click on the left nav bar for, in my case, James Bond, you can get two totally different search results.  If I happened to be searching for somehing less popular, I would have just disappeared from the site.  But it was my curiosity for just one search result in Bond whereby I thought - This can't be right.

For my part, I will check MPE from time to time, but I would never sell anything on it.

Also, is there a way to get in touch with sellers through it?

And why do they say, immediate listing if they only auction per month or whatever their collective timeframes are?

I am probably missing some points.

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 09:45:07 AM »
Did MPE change its policy (when selling) of having to ship your poster to them first?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »
Don't think so.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Charlie

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »
Do you have posters you would like to sell?
If so, Movie Poster Exchange is the absolute best way to get you the most money for your posters!
Movie Poster Exchange has three options for those wishing to sell movie posters:

1.     Fixed-Price Listing (The least expensive way to sell your poster, and you don't even have to send it to us.)
2.     Auction Consignment (If you have an item of exceptional value, this might be the best choice for you.)
3.     Direct sale to Movie Poster Exchange (The best option if you would like money right away.)

If you already have an account and wish to start selling, please log in and click on the either "manual upload" or "bulk upload" under the "My Selling" tab to the left.

http://www.movieposterexchange.com/sell.php

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »
Oh I missed that news.
An Error Has Occurred!

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »
Oh I missed that news.

No it still says ship to them in the FAQ's however I know a dealer that is just shipping stuff directly to the buyers...  Maybe I should just call Peter...  I've got a crap load of stuff that I wouldn't mind listing at 10% hit but hate that it is currently 10% plus shipping to MPE plus a $5 mystery fee for <$50.  Man if these guys would open it up score!  Maybe they should certify some folks or something.  Wonder if the dealer I know gets part of the shipping $$...

-Charlie

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 02:25:55 PM »
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments and questions. I will try to tackle a few issues here:

There are not two types of auctions, but there are both fixed price listings and auction listings.  We give you the option to look through all of them combined, or to separate them.  When you click on the "Fixed Price Items" tab or the "Live Auctions" tab, the default is set to show you all items in those categories. You can then click on the refine your search buttons to the left to see only specific genres/countries/ or sizes in those categories.  So you could click on Fixed Price Items and then hit the "One Sheets" button to the left to filter out all other sizes. 

If you would like to only see James Bond one-sheets, you can use the advanced search tab at the top to be able to combine different search criteria (so you could click "one sheets", "James Bond", "1990-1999", and "United States" to only see those results. Which right now would only be the Goldeneye one-sheet. (Which is NOT listed in the stills/photos section but properly placed in the One Sheet section. The stills/photos tab is highlighted right now showing that it is a new tab and stays highlighted no matter where you are looking on the site at this time).

If you list an item for sale at a fixed price, yes it just goes right up.  If you would like to list your item for auction, we usually have weekly auctions but this special January auction is superseding them and is the only auction right now (and there is our new Stills/Photos category also).

As for asking questions about items, unfortunately the only way to do that right now is the "contact us" tab i the upper center of the page. We are working on being able to do that from individual items.

Not sure why there are still two facebook/twitter links right next to each other, I know we have asked the programmers to remove these and will ask again.

As for listings and the fees, we absolutely have the lowest per item fees you can find (even when taking into account the fact that you must ship a sold item to us), and I will show this with an example from our recent sales archives.

Six-sheet for Viva Las Vegas

We sold this for poster earlier this month for $1150. Our fee for this was $115.00, we also charged a 3% merchant fee of $34.50 and our consignor got a net of $1000.50.
IF, Bruce or Heritage had sold this poster for the same price (and that's a big IF, as Bruce sold a copy last year for $550.00, and Heritage's last sale was for $717.00), their commissions would have been as follows:
Bruce $1150 sale - $230 (20% commission) = $920 net to seller
Heritage $1150 sale (which equals about a $962 hammer before buyer's premium) - $188 buyer's premium - $192.40 seller's premium = $769.60 net to seller
Cinemasterpieces $1150 sale - $287.50 commission = $862.50 net to seller

So in this example you would receive anywhere from $80.50 to $230.90 more than you would from the same sales price with another seller (8% to 23% more money in your pocket). Which leaves ample room to help cover the cost of shipping the poster to us. 
And of course it goes without saying that you would still have to pay to ship this poster to the above sellers also! I think people forget that all the time when mentioning that they have to ship posters to us.  I am pretty sure you have to ship posters to Bruce or Heritage also when they sell for you.

Where you can save shipping dollars with Bruce is when you ship him a large box of $10-20 posters for his auctions. And I would think this is probably what Charlie is thinking about when talking of a crap load of stuff he wouldn't mind listing at 10% is that he can just ship them all at once.
Absolutely true. We do not have 20+ employees and are not set up to process a large number of $25 posters. So if you have a large box of stuff you just want to dump and don't care about the price then you are probably better off sending them to Bruce.

But a couple of key points about that:
1) Remember that Bruce sells almost half of all his items for $15 or less, and that's after factoring in all the great items people send him. So if you send a box of low-value items, your percentage is likely to be much higher. 2) for a $25 poster, Bruce keeps $12.50. If you sell a poster for $25 with us, once you factor in shipping a single poster to us plus commission, the price you get is probably very close. But the key difference is that YOU get to decide if you want to accept $25 on your poster if you do a fixed price listing with us, not a $1 auction where you hope the price gets up to $25 so you can get $12.50
2) You are welcome to list 50-100 (or whatever number you would like to list) posters at your price and then send them to us in a large box(tube) where we will keep track of them for you, ship them out when sold and just send you a check every month. We already have a couple of consignors taking advantage of this service. That way you only pay to ship a single package to us like you would any other auction company but can still take advantage of our low rates.

The idea was that you don't have to ship a poster to us until we have a confirmed sale.  NO OTHER auction/sales company allows you to do this. It's a huge advantage for part-time dealers (like Ari) who can list a bunch of items with us and still carry them to local shows/markets and offer them to customers. You don't have to be missing the inventory and missing out on potentially selling the piece yourself.
Or if you are a collector and have a piece at home you would sell for $XXX amount, but don't want to send it off to an auction house, risk having it damaged and coming back unsold, you can list with us and not ship it to us until it is confirmed we have it sold for you.

But if you have a bunch of stuff you would just like to auction off and are unsure what to do, call us and talk to Peter we would be happy to try and help you out (even if the best idea turns out to be not using us).

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »
Hi Crow,

Many thanks for answering a slew of questions so fully.

I guess an understanding of individual websites is always expected, and now I know how to search everything, I probably know the way forwards.  However, if a static (as it appears) sidebar menu can, under different scenarios, offer two entirely different search results, I wonder if this strategy cannot be simplified.

My first stab resulted in no search results obtained for Bond.  If this was a Splash poster, then clearly I could undserstand this!  But bearing in mind it was Jim himself, clearly I figured this was unlikely.  And because I had the time, I could swan around the site to find alternate results.  Not everyone has Time.

Another thing I noticed (I have already said I have Time) was that Dr No returned no results.  Whereas Dr. No (with a stop) did.  Google this is not.

Anyway, good luck sir.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »
Hi Simes, the site isn't new, it should be easier to use by now.

Hey Simes, I should clarify, my first post (above) was directed at MPE, not a lack of search skill on your part! 

Six-sheet for Viva Las Vegas

Anyone new visiting your site would think this poster is listed in the Stills section by looking at the above. I reckon you've been looking at the site too long and need fresh eyes to look over the whole site.

Summary of my understanding:
- If you estimate your poster is worth at least $100, you send it to MPE and they will list it for you (full service e.g. photograph, grade, list it).
- If under $100, it can only be listed Buy It Now where you manually list it, grade it, photograph it yourself. The pricing structure %10 commission, $5 service fee for an items sold under $50, 3% Merchant fee, & sold item must be then sent almost immediately to MPE so shipping cost per each poster must be factored in (unless you shipped at least 50 Buy It Nows in advance). 

1) Remember that Bruce sells almost half of all his items for $15 or less, and that's after factoring in all the great items people send him. So if you send a box of low-value items, your percentage is likely to be much higher. 2) for a $25 poster, Bruce keeps $12.50. If you sell a poster for $25 with us, once you factor in shipping a single poster to us plus commission, the price you get is probably very close. But the key difference is that YOU get to decide if you want to accept $25 on your poster if you do a fixed price listing with us, not a $1 auction where you hope the price gets up to $25 so you can get $12.50

The above comparison saying MPE and eMovie return to the seller the same $ on lower priced items, fails to clarify that Bruce provide full service listing for those lower priced posters whereas at MPE the user must do it all manually themselves (photo, grade, create listing, etc). MPE focus more on the higher priced items. As most people have a range of high and low end items, by letting MPE have your high end stuff, you are left with the low end stuff to get rid of manually yourselves eBay/MPE/MPB. Bruce I believe takes the lower end stuff as part of a package with higher end stuff included, saving you the bother of listing those lower end items yourself.

A suggestion, your site wastes valuable real estate by not adapting to the users browser size. It would look better showing more product. You could display 4 times as much.

Here is an example of automatically filling the page to suit the users browser:

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:52:51 PM »
Hey Simes, I should clarify, my first post (above) was directed at MPE, not a lack of search skill on your part!
Ah, yes.

Makes sense sir.

Cheers.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »
Anyone new visiting your site would think this poster is listed in the Stills section by looking at the above. I reckon you've been looking at the site too long and need fresh eyes to look over the whole site.

Agreed. And we will take care of the highlighted color - again, it was just to show that we now have a stills section.

Summary of my understanding:
- If you estimate your poster is worth at least $100, you send it to MPE and they will list it for you (full service e.g. photograph, grade, list it).
- If under $100, it can only be listed Buy It Now where you manually list it, grade it, photograph it yourself. The pricing structure %10 commission, $5 service fee for an items sold under $50, 3% Merchant fee, & sold item must be then sent almost immediately to MPE so shipping cost per each poster must be factored in (unless you shipped at least 50 Buy It Nows in advance). 

The above comparison saying MPE and eMovie return to the seller the same $ on lower priced items, fails to clarify that Bruce provide full service listing for those lower priced posters whereas at MPE the user must do it all manually themselves (photo, grade, create listing, etc). MPE focus more on the higher priced items. As most people have a range of high and low end items, by letting MPE have your high end stuff, you are left with the low end stuff to get rid of manually yourselves eBay/MPE/MPB. Bruce I believe takes the lower end stuff as part of a package with higher end stuff included, saving you the bother of listing those lower end items yourself.

Semi-correct.  If you are using the fixed price service, yes you must do the listing yourself to qualify for the 10% rate.
But if you are auctioning items with us, we will do all the work for the same 10% rate! (and in auctions so far we wave the $5 under $50 fee).
Now we still don't have the manpower to list 2,000 $5 items a week, so if you have boxes of them we still suggest you send them all to Bruce as he is not only staffed for it but encourages it.

A suggestion, your site wastes valuable real estate by not adapting to the users browser size. It would look better showing more product. You could display 4 times as much.

Also agreed, and something I would like for us to work on.

And please keep other comments and suggestions coming. We get "your site looks great" emails all the time, so I need to hear other views to help us keep improving it.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 06:36:56 PM »
Agreed. And we will take care of the highlighted color - again, it was just to show that we now have a stills section.

Better just to put the word "New" in red text next to that tab. People will clearly know what you mean, without getting confused. That menu is lost amongst the other stuff there anyway so likely people wont see the blue blob, which is lost anyway amongst the other blue blobs.

Re other suggestions, I'll check back in 6 months to see what was implemented from the above to see if my suggestions were of value first  ;)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »
Better just to put the word "New" in red text next to that tab. People will clearly know what you mean, without getting confused. That menu is lost amongst the other stuff there anyway so likely people wont see the blue blob, which is lost anyway amongst the other blue blobs.
Re other suggestions, I'll check back in 6 months to see what was implemented from the above to see if my suggestions were of value first  ;)

And by blue blobs, I assume you mean the Registration/Log-in/Search bar?
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 07:35:14 PM »
And by blue blobs, I assume you mean the Registration/Log-in/Search bar?

... plus... Gallery, Bid Now, Twitter, GavelSnipe   (see image - 3rd post in this thread)

Charlie

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 11:15:54 PM »
OK. I get them ready for auction and then list them?; the $5 fee is waved...  bed1  That has peaked my interest.  Better than paying the 70% to Bruce...  Want to have an all modern poster auction? 300+ titles...  I'll even throw in some good stuff like Fargo DS OS...

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »

Don't agree - fluid/liquid websites are few and far between (Amazon is, Wikipedia is - Apply isn't, nor is eBay, Facebook, Twitter, SMH, Christies, eMovie or Heritage). To change now would is a major re-work of the site and cost (depending on whether their web designer works for cash, posters or food). Maintaining a fluid site can be, (but doesn't have to be) much more difficult than a static one.

I can't even think of a major gallery website where the images would fill up the entire screen as you have shown. I believe a page like that for a business site would look messy, fine for an a homemade site but not for a site who is also trying to have a 'clean professional' as well as provide a product/service.

However, that said I do agree there could be more images shown per line, three is not enough, four seems to be an acceptable standard, and is comfortable to 'take in'. It would be a relatively easy fix, as currently the column (container) for each 'auction' is set at 32%. However, change that and then you need to look at addressing the 'standards' of the image sizes, images are the key and I'm not sure there is a uniform size set, the design of the container size (the place where each auction is displayed) seems to be based on the biggest size auctioned rather than the most popular size they auction. I'd base everything on a 1SH, and make the standard size bigger (wider) and there will be less white space to the right as a result (and will make the images proportionally bigger too).

The 'white' space inside the 'container' I think is a design problem, again, a lot of things seem to be based on the biggest (biggest image, biggest title). The poster title at the top is set to a height of 50px, this is so if the title goes to two lines it won't push the image down (fair enough), but as a result leaves a 'white space' under it (to the poster) when the title is just one line. Let me ask: is the image what catches the eye or the title? Simple fix: put the title under the poster, this is the reason almost every image in almost every gallery in the world that has a variable length title is below the image.

By adding the title below you could then remove the border (line) between each row, the images would become the 'natural' border and thus remove another piece of 'eye clutter'.

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:38:25 PM by Silhouette »
David

Charlie

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 04:47:59 PM »
I love this one

http://devatic.com/?theme=TheAgency

Just a random semi-related thought...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 05:57:51 PM »
Sean - please clarify the "3% merchant fee" - when does this apply and when doesn't it?  In essence with the 3% isn't the total cost to the seller/consignor 13% (regardless of calling it commission or not).

Does the 3% only apply to auction items someone sends and lets you photos and list?
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 08:34:55 PM »
I assume that's for people using credit cards, least that's what we call merchant fees, it's to cover the cost the bank charges the merchant (Sean et al) for receiving money via credit card.
An Error Has Occurred!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »
Liquid layouts are great for galleries and ecommerce sites - more product in front of eyes. The main negative is just with text heavy sites where text would spread across the page. Gallery/ecommerce sites are not text heavy (besides Bruce's), they are image heavy so are ideally suited to reaping the benefits of using liquid layouts, especially when used for their search results pages. At least all image based search results pages should be created using liquid layouts.

The main problem from not using a liquid layout, as can be seen from the MPE screen example below - is the user cant see all products as they need to scroll down first. In this MPE example, had a liquid layout been used, all products would have been visible to the user without the need for any scrolling. There is a potential for missed sales. Most people spend 80% of their time "above the fold". Look at all that wasted advertising space!

A site can look unprofessional using liquid layouts especially if they are text heavy sites and poorly designed. This can be got around however by more coding by the developer to make it look better ;-) or by using hybrid layouts (combination of fixed and liquid layouts). Use a fixed layout for content on text heavy pages like a home page (headers and footers and background can still be liquid), and liquid layouts for gallery/product listing/search results pages.

Curious, for example what is unprofessional (functionally - I am artistically challenged) about the search results page which uses a liquid layout on the EyeCandyPosters.com website I screen grabbed in a previous post? And is that worth the trade off of only displaying a limited view of products when using a fixed width layout? It is an ecommerce site I built - I can easily display prices, cart, by flicking a switch, with negligible change to the layout.

One other important reason to make the site layout liquid is that the site can then be easily tweaked for displaying optimally onto portable devices such as smart phones (i.e. on small screens), sharing virtually all the same code. Think of one column of products - a one column liquid layout. Little needs to change on the code side to make a liquid layout site optimized for both web and mobile devices when built like this from the start. Squeezing a fixed layout website into a small mobile device screen - looks unprofessional and is also difficult to use. The cost of retro fitting a website for use on mobile devices is an unnecessary significant expense for a website owner to pay for (either a site rebuild, new mobile site or separate app needs created to be done). This cost can be significantly minimized if a site is built using liquid layouts from the start. For your new sites Dave, how are you providing smart phone users an optimized mobile experience, or providing the client the upgrade option for this, if the client requires it?

The cost to convert a large websites such as Heritage, eBay to liquid layout is huge. Those sites need to be heavily rebuilt. For MPE, the site does not appear complex and the conversion cost may be worth it. It is key to have a site built correctly in the first place to avoid expensive rework. Other sites that use liquid layouts besides Amazon include Google, Overstock.

It is possible to create a liquid layout site but restrict the width thru simple CSS setting. That will provide an easier/lower cost upgrade path for clients that may later want liquid layouts or a better experience for mobile users.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »
I assume that's for people using credit cards, least that's what we call merchant fees, it's to cover the cost the bank charges the merchant (Sean et al) for receiving money via credit card.

If that's the case they are passing along the buyer's payment fee that they get charged onto the seller?
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »
Yeah, well I guess in normal scenarios.
Eg, you are the owner, seller.
You have a store, you sell an item, the buyer uses their Visa card.
You the seller wears the merchant fee (most stores do this, only places that work in a small margin would charge a fee to the buyer for using credit).
So, if this is correct for MPE, then as with a store, the seller is the one who has to work the bank fees into their profit.
An Error Has Occurred!