Author Topic: All Japan: Apocalypse Now B0/Eastwood-Western triple bill/Sin City B1 prismatic  (Read 7540 times)

Offline dsonesheets

• Hobbyist
Hello to all!  Well, as a consequence of reconstructive jaw surgery about 20 years ago, I've now had four root canals and need at least one, if not two new implants.  Since I was underage, my parents signed the contract for the surgery, which I just got a copy of and read all its 20 pages.  It essentially absolved my oral surgeon from ANY unintended consequences from the surgery, at ANYTIME after the surgery.  The placement of the screws caused the root canals, and now I'm in need of some serious cash because I also just found out implants are NOT cheap.

SO!

I am selling my Apocalypse Now Brando B0.  I don't like it, but I like the idea of being able to chew my food a little more than a poster right now. 

Also have an incredible rare size triple bill western Japanese poster, roughly 30"x30".  One of my serious sources in Tokyo told me that this kind of poster would have been a one-off, probably for a film festival.  He also said that there is a good chance that only two or three of these exist.

Anyone who's interested should give a shout out to me.  I'm on the road tomorrow, but will be in Iowa by tomorrow night or the next morning depending on if I stop somewhere on the way.

Also, ALL of my posters are being stored at my parents place in Iowa, mainly because my studio apartment doesn't have room for it, and it's kind of a shitty neighborhood, so I didn't like the idea of storing 500 expensive posters here.  The bottom line is that I will have access to ALL of my posters, and if there is anything else you are looking for, and I have it, I can send pics while I'm there and either bring them back to Denver if you might be interested, or ship directly from Iowa while I'm there.

Oh, also selling my Sin City prismatic Japanese B1, which had a print run of only 250, which I corroborated through two different sources.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Awesome posters.  Is there much restoration on the Apocalypse Now B0?

Good luck with the sales and the dental work.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Oh, also selling my Sin City prismatic Japanese B1, which had a print run of only 250, which I corroborated through two different sources.

Last time you posted one of these for sale, you said the print run was 500.  I take it you came by some new information since then??
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
Also have an incredible rare size triple bill western Japanese poster, roughly 30"x30".  One of my serious sources in Tokyo told me that this kind of poster would have been a one-off, probably for a film festival.  He also said that there is a good chance that only two or three of these exist.

Very nice piece and certainly quite rare. Seems to be the right end of a larger poster consisting of two or even three sheets since the Japanese sentence in the top white border is incomplete. It starts in the middle of a sentence because the "を" character one can read there is a particle, which cannot be used at the beginning of a sentence.

Armin

Offline dsonesheets

• Hobbyist
Well, bumping as all three are still available.  If no one can come close to my price (mainly on the Apocalypse Now B0), I think I will inquire at Profiles in History or MAYBE Heritage.  Gray/Grey has never really been too receptive to me, don't know if that's his normal attitude, or just doesn't like me, but it's always made me think twice about ever consigning anything through them.  Bruce would be a last resort, because a.) I need the money, badly, for my dental work b.) federal unemplyment ends in two weeks, and c.) I want to get top dollar for it, and not get chopped off at the knees over it.  Not going to name anyone, but someone made an offer that would have had me laughing it was so low.  Like "are you shitting me?" low.  Considering the people I have talked to have all come to the consensus that this is only the third copy anyone's ever seen, I would think there would be more debate on it or at least a little haggling, but I guess times are tough for everyone.

Anyway, bump for a Christmas present! That new tooth!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Why don't you state what you want for them?  I personally never participate to a sale like this because the seller could just play me and lie about other offers he got.  That's what Cockren used to do.  I'm not saying that you're dishonest, but it helps to have an idea of what the seller wants as a basis for discussion, even if it's too high.

T
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:22:03 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline dsonesheets

• Hobbyist
You know, that's a very interesting thing to say.  Since kind of getting back into the swing of things here, almost every perspective buyer has quoted Bruce's auction history prices as their basis of what a poster should be worth, so most of the time that's what I'm waiting to hear.  Why should I do the work and look all that up when someone else interested in the poster is going to do it for me?

Also, I've had a knack for picking good posters, and hanging onto them for years, and then when either thinning out the collection, or selling in times of need, I like to hear what other people think the posters I have invested in are worth. 

I can assure you it's not that I am trying to be deceptive, it's more two-fold.  First, I don't want to scare a potential buyer off because it's way too high, and second, I want to know what he's basing his asking price off of.  Is it because he saw another sell for a similar price, or is it just because that's the budget he has available?

But the real bottom line is that every transaction to me is not a sticker price that can't be changed.  I'm not going to say I want $2k for a poster, and that's it.  What about the guy who can only really spend $1800?  Maybe I'll work with that guy, and we'll both come away happy and satisfied in the end.

What really gets me though is how everyone HAS to have some market value they can point to to prove a poster is worth $X.  When Holiday won a Japanese Equilibrium B1 over me in an auction, I literally cried I was so heartbroken, because I had been searching for that poster ever since I first heard about it (it's mylar and really cool).  Years of searching.  And I know where to find Japanese posters!  It crushed me.  Can you put a price on that?  I finally got one, but the point is that posters can be very subjective, and not just something I pay so much for so I can add it to field #452 in my spreadsheet, file it under "P" for poster in my flat file cabinet and never look at it again.

And if you ask most people, I almost always come down from my initial asking price anyway, and almost always include shipping in the price that's been agreed on.  I just try to make everyone happy while at least making a little profit along the way, mainly so I can buy new posters for myself.

Oh, and as far as the ANow B0, I think I mentioned that Profiles sold one last year for something like $2300 w/ buyer's premium, so I AM putting prices out there...

Last but not least, I think this community is so tight that if I lied about what someone else "offered" me, and it was a lie, it wouldn't be five minutes before I was outed.  Besides, lying sucks, it's dishonest, and sooner or later you'll get caught in your own trap of lies.

Why don't you state what you want for them?  I personally never participate to a sale like this because the seller could just play me and lie about other offers he got.  That's what Cockren used to do.  I'm not saying that you're dishonest, but it helps to have an idea of what the seller wants as a basis for discussion, even if it's too high.

T

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
You know, that's a very interesting thing to say.  Since kind of getting back into the swing of things here, almost every perspective buyer has quoted Bruce's auction history prices as their basis of what a poster should be worth, so most of the time that's what I'm waiting to hear.  Why should I do the work and look all that up when someone else interested in the poster is going to do it for me?

Also, I've had a knack for picking good posters, and hanging onto them for years, and then when either thinning out the collection, or selling in times of need, I like to hear what other people think the posters I have invested in are worth. 

I can assure you it's not that I am trying to be deceptive, it's more two-fold.  First, I don't want to scare a potential buyer off because it's way too high, and second, I want to know what he's basing his asking price off of.  Is it because he saw another sell for a similar price, or is it just because that's the budget he has available?

But the real bottom line is that every transaction to me is not a sticker price that can't be changed.  I'm not going to say I want $2k for a poster, and that's it.  What about the guy who can only really spend $1800?  Maybe I'll work with that guy, and we'll both come away happy and satisfied in the end.

What really gets me though is how everyone HAS to have some market value they can point to to prove a poster is worth $X.  When Holiday won a Japanese Equilibrium B1 over me in an auction, I literally cried I was so heartbroken, because I had been searching for that poster ever since I first heard about it (it's mylar and really cool).  Years of searching.  And I know where to find Japanese posters!  It crushed me.  Can you put a price on that?  I finally got one, but the point is that posters can be very subjective, and not just something I pay so much for so I can add it to field #452 in my spreadsheet, file it under "P" for poster in my flat file cabinet and never look at it again.

And if you ask most people, I almost always come down from my initial asking price anyway, and almost always include shipping in the price that's been agreed on.  I just try to make everyone happy while at least making a little profit along the way, mainly so I can buy new posters for myself.

Oh, and as far as the ANow B0, I think I mentioned that Profiles sold one last year for something like $2300 w/ buyer's premium, so I AM putting prices out there...

Last but not least, I think this community is so tight that if I lied about what someone else "offered" me, and it was a lie, it wouldn't be five minutes before I was outed.  Besides, lying sucks, it's dishonest, and sooner or later you'll get caught in your own trap of lies.

Where you have to be careful, though, is how many people are actually going to buy an Equilibrium B1.  I know I wouldn't spend a penny on it, because I don't care.  I don't think it is a title that will mean much, let's say, 20 years from now.  I could be wrong... or maybe not.  Holiday has an amazing poster collection, but I've told him many many times to be careful with pricing.  I remember he bought a Melancholia B1 from Bruce for $500, I got the same poster from Bruce a couple weeks later for $90, and I think it recently sold for $50.  Haven't checked, don't quote me.  The point being, as you said, that pricing can be extremely subjective.

This said, when you tackle movies that have proven their worth, not Equilibrium or Melancholia, but Apocalypse Now, you get a real premium.  Your B0 up there is exceptional.  I believe Matt (Harry Caul) owns one too.  I think the 2k you mentioned is a fair market price, give or take.  People will not see it again anytime soon and it is one of the most famous war movies out there.  Certainly an iconic image.

So now we know.  Thanks for that.  There are a lot of crooks out there, and after seeing what Cockren did to forum members and my partner in crime Holiday, I think putting prices out helps people realize that you are not one of them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Was the Apocalypse Now B0 that sold at Profiles linen backed?  It appears that this copy is linen backed, and if so, the extent of restoration that was done on it was not mentioned.

Steve, aka DSOS, Schan and I both asked questions about your posters for sale earlier in this thread.  Would you prefer PMs (private messages  :P) regarding questions about your posters for sale?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:04:55 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Was the Apocalypse Now B0 that sold at Profiles linen backed?  It appears that this copy is linen backed, and if so, the extent of restoration that was done on it.

Steve, aka DSOS, Schan and I both asked questions about your posters for sale earlier in this thread.  Would you prefer PMs (private messages  :P) regarding questions about your posters for sale?

The PIH copy was linen backed, but I think I remember it (reportedly anyway) being in pretty good shape prior to backing.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
  Gray/Grey has never really been too receptive to me, don't know if that's his normal attitude, or just doesn't like me, but it's always made me think twice about ever consigning anything through them.  Considering the people I have talked to have all come to the consensus that this is only the third copy anyone's ever seen, I would think there would be more debate on it or at least a little haggling, but I guess times are tough for everyone.

Anyway, bump for a Christmas present! That new tooth!

Grey basically told me once that they were only interested in collections over 5k.  Not sure why they don't want to deal with with one or two posters.  But your poster would have to garner 2k at least, IMO.  I have only of the same three that you are probably referring too: Yours, Harry Caul's via ebay, and another one at some auction house.

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline dsonesheets

• Hobbyist
Sorry, been focusing on email inbox and was neglecting checking the thread itself. 

First, yes, I'm pretty sure it was a 500 print run on the Sin City.  Don't know what made me say 250. 

And as far as the restoration, 1.) There were no tears or paper loss. 2.) The majority of the problems were due to the fact that whomever owned it folded the shit out of it, and in uneven folds too, so there was a main horizontal fold, which went through Brando's face near his mouth, and a bunch of other vertical slanting folds. 3.) Finally there were a lot of little scratches that needed to be touched up.

I just sent out a bunch of photos recently to someone, but for some reason I can't find it in my outbox here.  To say the email system is confusing is a complement.  I don't get why I have to check a box to have something saved in my outbox.  Shouldn't that be automatic?

Anyway, I have some detail shots of the major scratches that were touched up.  But the bottom line is that there was no paper loss, and no major tears or tape (to my recollection - it was done a couple years ago).  It was all just mounting it, getting the folds out and touching it up, which took a while, but PR was really great on the price!  I don't recall it being a money pit at all.

Did that answer everyone's questions?  Sorry again, between the threads here and private emails and emails saying I need to reply here to PM's it's kind of crazy.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Thanks for clearing that up about the restoration, Steve.  Sounds like it's a nice one, and after seeing pictures of the only 3 known, it looks like they all had great resto work.

Bruce would be a last resort, because a.) I need the money, badly, for my dental work b.) federal unemplyment ends in two weeks, and c.) I want to get top dollar for it, and not get chopped off at the knees over it. 

Part of the trouble with selling stuff is that people want top dollar for their items and they want it as soon as possible.  Stuff that is priced at high retail generally takes longer to sell, but Bruce's auctions have a good history of realizing fair market value, and he may be able to auction it for you fairly soon if you contact him.  Of course, there is always the possibility that it sells for less than what you expected, and the possibility that it sells for more.

Good luck with the sale and the dental work.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Part of the trouble with selling stuff is that people want top dollar for their items and they want it as soon as possible.  Stuff that is priced at high retail generally takes longer to sell, but Bruce's auctions have a good history of realizing fair market value, and he may be able to auction it for you fairly soon if you contact him.  Of course, there is always the possibility that it sells for less than what you expected, and the possibility that it sells for more.

This is very, very true.
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery

they want it as soon as possible. 

Not I.  I am patient.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Not I.  I am patient.

Yeah, I see you have quite a few of the same ones for sale as you did a few years ago.  If you're in no hurry to sell some stuff, such as collectibles, then the phrase "patience pays off" rings true.

Same here.

Archie, what are you selling?

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Nothing in particular, just in general..