Author Topic: Silent auction for NEOS2 Quad  (Read 8782 times)

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
Silent auction for NEOS2 Quad
« on: August 25, 2012, 01:50:37 PM »
I am trying something new that I have not seen done here before. I am going to do a silent auction. You will PM me your bids. The auction is for a NEOS 2 Quad rolled. There are some rules to this however. I will not accept bids less then $75.00 and the ending time on this will be Sunday 10 PM mountain time zone. Also if there is a tie between two bidders I will contact those bidders and let them know there is a tie and each bidder will have the chance to put in one last bid higher then the original bid they put in and whoever is the highest there will win. This is an excellent looking poster and the winning bidder won't regret winning this item. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
Re: Silent auction for NEOS2 Quad
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »
Just reminding everyone that this will end in about 12.5 hours. So get your bids in and don't miss out on this quad.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 06:35:55 PM »
A little less then 5.5 hours left for this. Just letting everyone know.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 08:00:07 PM »
4 HOURS LEFT

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:01:12 PM »
Is this one similar to the NOES 2 Quad?

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
This is for the Nightmare on Elm Street 2 quad (30x40) rolled. This is for the picture above. This is the actual item.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Ok, cool. For a second there, I thought it was the Nightmare Elm On Street 2 Quad.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 08:35:56 PM »
Not for part one but for Part 2. If you look at the pic above it will show you the item up for silent auction.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »
Just a little over 3 hours left. Good luck all. I will check back in a bit.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »
Not for part one but for Part 2. If you look at the pic above it will show you the item up for silent auction.

Since you seem to have missed me earlier sarcastic humor, I was joking about the fact that you labeled it twice as "NEOS2" as opposed to "NOES2".

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 09:03:21 PM »
Oh lol I just noticed that now that you said something lmao. Good catch :-)

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »
45 minutes left. Get those bids in. There are a lot of interested parties in this. At 10 pm mountain time I will PM the winner. And just be aware that the buyer is responsible for shipping.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »
22 MINUTES LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 11:52:34 PM »
less then 10 minutes left

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 11:58:32 PM »
2 minutes remain get your last and final bids in quick

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 12:05:15 AM »
It is over all. Thank you to all interested parties that submitted bids. I will not say who the winning bidder is out of respect for that individual. I will let them reveal themself if they choose to. Thank you all again.

guest8

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 08:41:12 AM »
I remember when Carson used to do these things.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 09:25:57 AM »
I remember when Carson used to do these things.

I wonder if he actually shipped the poster to the winner?
Chris

guest8

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »
I won one from Carson back in the day. I did get my poster, I just really don't think a public forum is the place for any kind of silent auction. It is just too easy for someone to get duped into over paying. I'm not saying that this is what happened in this case with Rdavey. I don't know him so I cant say one way or another.

But, I feel that something like these silent auctions should be reserved for auction houses or something of similar stature. The chance for someone to get played or tricked into over paying is just too high. Even if we have mostly honest sellers, if these silent auctions become "the norm" around here it will attract some of the not so honest types. There's just no way to regulate this sort of thing on a public forum and feel its just a recipe for disaster. Its just a matter of time before we would end up with another Carson taking advantage of the forum and its members and unless an elaborate sting operation was setup no one would ever know they are being lied to. Then again maybe Im just a cynical un-trusting ol' bastard :P

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 11:31:39 AM »
I won one from Carson back in the day. I did get my poster, I just really don't think a public forum is the place for any kind of silent auction. It is just too easy for someone to get duped into over paying. I'm not saying that this is what happened in this case with Rdavey. I don't know him so I cant say one way or another.

But, I feel that something like these silent auctions should be reserved for auction houses or something of similar stature. The chance for someone to get played or tricked into over paying is just too high. Even if we have mostly honest sellers, if these silent auctions become "the norm" around here it will attract some of the not so honest types. There's just no way to regulate this sort of thing on a public forum and feel its just a recipe for disaster. Its just a matter of time before we would end up with another Carson taking advantage of the forum and its members and unless an elaborate sting operation was setup no one would ever know they are being lied to. Then again maybe Im just a cynical un-trusting ol' bastard :P

I consider myself to be quite a cynical person as well, but I'm not sure I understand how a silent auction could result in such shenanigans. Maybe, since I've never partaken in one, I am not understanding how it works. I assumed that interested parties would simply offer up the maximum they want to pay for an item, and whoever has the highest number gets it for that price. So if five people bid $10, $20, $30, $40 and $50 respectively, the $50 bidder 'wins' for $50. Since it's silent, I didn't think the seller would go back to the other four bidders to try and solicit higher bids. And even if only one person bid $50, they would still have to pay $50 for the poster. Or am I missing something?

I personally wouldn't partake in one because I don't like the format. As a buyer, you risk grossly over paying for an item since you have no idea what other people are bidding. As a seller, you risk not getting the full potential of price because people (like myself) are reluctant to bid anything, or will just bid a small amount to minimize the risk. So while there are certainly "cons" to this method of auction, I'm not sure how someone could "con" a buyer. Unless of course they tried to actively solicit more bids by pretending that they were "tied" with someone else when they weren't, or if they just lied to everyone and told them all that they won and stole the money without sending anything to anyone. But I would consider that just blatant fraud and theft.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:32:17 AM by enki »

guest8

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 11:38:08 AM »
If an honest seller was doing it then the bidding would/should be as you stated. But as we all should know by now if someones crooked they will find ways to manipulate the system and make it work in their favor. Im sure because I prefer full transparency Im just being overly paranoid .. But all too often people get ripped off because they felt there were no "angles" and that they were "safe" .. If the seller were an honest one, why not just do an auction style post and have people bid in the thread. It could possibly lead to a higher sales price and all the cards would then be on the table.

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »
How did this other prior person (Carson) take advantage of people?

guest8

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »
How did this other prior person (Carson) take advantage of people?

The only instance that I know of for a fact would be the flat out stealing quite a bit of money from Holiday. If he wants to offer the details up again I'll leave that to Holiday.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »
What were the dimensions on that/this poster??  I'm sure mine don't have a boarder.... 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »
Just so you all know I am an honest seller and would never rip anyone off. I am not a crook like that. I am a very honest person. I contacted all the interested parties that were involved in this and let them know whether they won or lost the auction. The person that won I have sold to before and I trust the buyer that won and I am sure he feels the same ways as I do. I will not reveal the winner simply because they requested that I do not say who won it. I am leaving that up to the buyer of this poster to reveal who won it. I do like the idea of holding an open thread auction so everyone can fight it out. That is a good idea and may have to try that some time.