Author Topic: Paypal Claim or Just Contact Credit Card Company?  (Read 5591 times)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Paypal Claim or Just Contact Credit Card Company?
« on: July 13, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »
So it's been almost 45 days since a few non poster items I bought from an eBay seller in Italy haven't showed up, and this is 45 days since the seller supposedly mailed them which was May 31st.  I've already opened up a Paypal claim (didn't do it through eBay because I purchased multiple items from him and he didn't know how to combine them into one invoice with the combined shipping amount so I paid directly through Paypal) but I've yet to push it through for a decision (I've got less than two weeks left to do so).  Seller has no tracking number, all he has is a picture of some kind of "bulletin of dispatch" whatever that is, didn't look like much.  After my prior aggravation with eBay's dispute system I'm wondering if just filing a claim with my credit card company wouldn't be the quicker and easier route to go.  The seller is not going to do anything, he doesn't think he should be held responsible, but since he doesn't have a tracking number and more legitimate proof he actually mailed it, so I disagree.  From what I've read that other people have done (and this is even on Paypal's website) I can call up my credit card company and request a charge back, which is essentially a refund that there is nothing Paypal can do about it.  I've never disputed a credit card charge so I don't know what that all entails, if for some reason Paypal fails to back me up would I still have the option to contact my credit card company and get a charge back?  It seems like I would since according to Paypal's FAQ they cannot stop or reverse a credit card charge back.  Any thoughts?  This was another foreign seller who didn't bother to respond to my messages about this until I finally filed a claim against him, and even after him ignoring me I told him I'd wait another week, which is now up and still no package.

I've only had about two things in the past take this long that where actually mailed timely.  One was a CD I ordered that was from someone else in the US and it got delivered over a year later... yes A YEAR!  And a magazine I bought from the UK which took two months.  So this could possibly be another one of those situations, but when I have no viable proof where it is or if it was mailed, the seller is ultimately responsible right?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:15:31 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Paypal Claim or Just Contact Credit Card Company?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »
The lesson may be (as others have also found out the hard way!) don't buy anything from Italy
Chris

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 04:36:20 PM »
The lesson may be (as others have also found out the hard way!) don't buy anything from Italy

I buy a lot from Italy on eBay, it's essentially my #1 source for what I'm currently interested in poster wise.  I've never had any trouble in terms of getting stuff, usually a month tops usually it's only a couple weeks.  On rare occasions that it's taken longer it's usually because the seller didn't ship it for a couple weeks after I bought it, but this guy swears in sent it out at the end of May.  Technically Paypal should side in my favor if he has no tracking # correct? I'm just debating whether I want to fool with Paypal's making a decision or just try the credit card company. I guess in either situation I can fall back on the other, though I have more time to dispute a charge and less time to push the claim through with Paypal.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »
I'd go down the PayPal track first because theirs is a 'dispute' service to do with the supply of product and/or service. The problem I see with making a claim via the bank is you did actually authorise the payment, the fact you did not get the product is technically not the bank's issue, they're more concerned with fraudulent use of your card - but it won't hurt to try.
David

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »
I'd go down the PayPal track first because theirs is a 'dispute' service to do with the supply of product and/or service. The problem I see with making a claim via the bank is you did actually authorise the payment, the fact you did not get the product is technically not the bank's issue, they're more concerned with fraudulent use of your card - but it won't hurt to try.

I'll wait a little longer, I'm not trying to rip the seller off if he actually did send it, I just want what I paid for and I have another week or so before I have to push it through.  I wasn't going to make a claim through the bank, I didn't pay with a debit card, it was a credit card.  From what I've read if you pay with your bank card or acct you're pretty much screwed, but the credit card company would back you up if you paid for something and never got it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:10:45 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 05:17:06 AM »

This is not the case with credit cards, the fact you have not received the goods is fraudulent in it's self, and they will get your money back. I have found Visa and the like don't give a flying f*uck about Paypal and will take any money you are owed from them...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 05:37:47 AM »
Paul speaketh truthfulness aboverly.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 01:28:35 PM »
Well I waited another two weeks, nothing showed up, so I escalated the claim with Paypal. I guess if Paypal fails to back me up I'll turn to Visa.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »
Well Paypal's "resolution process" is surprisingly more useless than eBay's it's entirely automated and the keep asking me for crap that's not even relevant to my claim!!!  They want me to upload documentation... I'm not the seller I have nothing to prove!! I haven't received the item what I am supposed to upload... about ready to contact the credit card company.

Here's how inept Paypal is.  This is what they sent me, pay close attention to what I've bolded.

--------------

To complete our investigation, we need some additional details from you.
Please provide us with:

If you resolved this issue, (meaning you received a refund or the item, or
you reached some other settlement with the seller) please let us know.
Please respond to this email within 3 days. If we don't hear from you
within this timeframe, we may close this claim.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Sincerely,
PayPal

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Help Center:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/helpweb?cmd=_help
Security Center:
https://www.paypal.com/us/security

This email was sent by an automated system, so if you reply, nobody will
see it.
To get in touch with us, log in to your account and click "Contact
Us" at the bottom of any page.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:50:20 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 03:54:14 AM »
Well Paypal decided in my favor.  Finally.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »

Success!

Good to know it ended well.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 08:54:38 AM »

cheers

Now, tell us who this punk-ass seller is.
Maybe you can save one of us from similar grief.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »
cheers

Now, tell us who this punk-ass seller is.
Maybe you can save one of us from similar grief.

It wasn't poster related so I don't think anyone here will run into him.  Sadly I still lost $5 because I paid in Euros and since the end of May the Euro has gone down... oh well I can accept that as a risk of buying a lot from Italy, I'm going to be toning down my eBay purchases anyway....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:51:48 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »