Author Topic: How Long Do I Wait?  (Read 4345 times)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
How Long Do I Wait?
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »
Ordered a poster off eBay from a seller in the UK, he's stating it was shipped the day after I paid which would have been two weeks ago.  99% of the time anything I've ordered from the UK (be it eBay or any other website) arrives in around a weeks time.  Even the seller himself says I should have received it by now.  How long should I wait before asking for a refund or filing a non-received item claim with eBay?  I was going to wait until the end of the week just to give it a little more time but just wondering if anyone else in the states has had this with happen buying from the UK.  The guy seems honest, he responds quickly and has 100% feedback of over 4,000 but I've had seemingly legit sellers tell me they shipped something out quick and when I finally receive the package I learned they really shipped it out the day I emailed them asking where it was.  Would three weeks be enough time to give it?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:01:17 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: How Long Do I Wait?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »
Ordered a poster off eBay from a seller in the UK, he's stating it was shipped the day after I paid which would have been two weeks ago.  99% of the time anything I've ordered from the UK (be it eBay or any other website) arrives in around a weeks time.  Even the seller himself says I should have received it by now.  How long should I wait before asking for a refund or filing a non-received item claim with eBay?  I was going to wait until the end of the week just to give it a little more time but just wondering if anyone else in the states has had this with happen buying from the UK.  The guy seems honest, he responds quickly and has 100% feedback of over 4,000 but I've had seemingly legit sellers tell me they shipped something out quick and when I finally receive the package I learned they really shipped it out the day I emailed them asking where it was.  Would three weeks be enough time to give it?
How much was postage/shipping from the UK?

Stew

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:16:34 PM »
It was 5 pounds, which I thought was low, but then I looked at some prior purchases and I'd bought a poster from another UK seller that was 6 pounds for shipping, got that in a week. That one was folded, as is the one I'm waiting on.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:38:39 PM »
It was 5 pounds, which I thought was low, but then I looked at some prior purchases and I'd bought a poster from another UK seller that was 6 pounds for shipping, got that in a week. That one was folded, as is the one I'm waiting on.
5 pounds sounds about average,for postal costs to the U.S,give or take.
Such a low price,would indicate that the seller might have sent it to you by way of Royal Mail small packets service.This service really is the most basic and cost effective way to send a single or two posters.
The thing is though,delivery times can vary wildly,very few shipping options from RM have any kind of guaranteed delivery times,usually,it can be 1 week to 3 months unless you want to splash out on top notch "next day" etc..
I have always found that when I send from the UK to US,the average is a couple of months,yet when I receive a package from the US to UK,it`s 7 to ten days,,I have no idea why there is such an anomaly over the same distance.
It would be great if we could all nail the best way for us to send each other stuff as quickly and cost effective as can be.
I noticed that the guy you have bought off has been completely up front and has good feedback,whereas you have noticed other sellers delay,dork you about and then send out the poster you bought,i think as long as the communication between you and the seller continues,then maybe give it a wee bit more time before you start filing a claim..
Just my 2cents..

Stew
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:43:04 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:44:47 PM »
We have just had a bank-holiday over here, which would slow things down by quite a few days. Though I don't think packages should take more than 3/4 weeks now-a-days at the very most.

If all seems fine with the seller, give it a bit longer. Can you post the sellers name?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »
I'll wait a little longer, 2 months seems excessive from UK to US.  I buy things from the UK on a regular basis, only once has it ever taken two months and part of that was because the seller sent it late.  Without fail it's usually a week, week and a half at max.  I have no problem waiting, if I had bought this from someone in Italy I wouldn't even be asking the question because the shipping time is always about 3 to 4 weeks coming from there, but the UK deliveries are usually pretty speedy.  I just don't want to wait too long that I can't file a claim with eBay or Paypal, which I believe you have to do within 45 days, he's quick to respond but I don't know how cooperative he'll be if I don't receive it.  Thanks for the input.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 02:54:47 PM »
We have just had a bank-holiday over here, which would slow things down by quite a few days. Though I don't think packages should take more than 3/4 weeks now-a-days at the very most.

If all seems fine with the seller, give it a bit longer. Can you post the sellers name?

If things change for the worse I'll disclose his ID, but as of right now I don't see the point, I can send you a PM though.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 04:53:10 PM »
I think sometimes we really need to relax and not expect packages (especially international) near instanteously!

With Paypal you have 45 days to enter a dispute.  I have had international packages arrive 30 days+ after shipment.
Chris

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 05:20:39 PM »
Hi, Folks!

We always use fully insured Royal Mail International Signed For Airmail which passes from Royal Mail to USPS in the USA. 

On average, it takes around 7/10 days and costs us around 12 pounds - plus or minus, depending on the weight of the package.  Using the Royal Mail Tracking reference, you can track the package all the way to its destination.

We had one instance recently where delivery from UK to Colorado took 15 days - the package reached New York within 3 days and was held there without any explanation for almost 2 weeks before reaching its final destination in Colorado.  However, that was exceptional.   Usually, it's 7/10 days.

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »
I think sometimes we really need to relax and not expect packages (especially international) near instanteously!

With Paypal you have 45 days to enter a dispute.  I have had international packages arrive 30 days+ after shipment.

I'm with Chris.  If you paid using paypal, mark your 45 day limit somewhere so you don't forget.  If you don't receive it by then, lodge your claim.

I've had things take from 1 week to anywhere up to a month to get to the same place.
Even parcels I've sent to the same person on the same day, arrived weeks apart.  Go figure!
Ves

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 07:00:25 PM »
The post office's ears must have been burning as it showed up today.  The mail carrier actually delivered the usual junk mail and left, and then came back a couple minutes later with it and another package, typical USPS.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »
The post office's ears must have been burning as it showed up today.  The mail carrier actually delivered the usual junk mail and left, and then came back a couple minutes later with it and another package, typical USPS.

;D
Chris

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
Intl stuff have to give 3 weeks unless it is coming express, that is not the norm (6-10 days) but it happens with holidays peak mail seasons and customs anymore. Not to say don't ask questions but I would not file a claim on anyone before then.