Author Topic: Ebay Sniping software  (Read 9585 times)

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
Ebay Sniping software
« on: February 08, 2010, 04:26:53 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good Ebay snipe tool? My wife is getting bored of me getting up in the middle of the night to put my bids on. I've seen a few, some free, some paid for but am not sure which is the best. Thanks for any advice!

guest8

Re: Ebay Sniping software
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 06:02:33 AM »
I havent used it much but the little that I have JBidwatcher seems pretty good.

linder1

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 06:13:26 AM »
I use BidNip.  I think you get 5 free snipes when you sign up, something along those lines.

http://www.bidnip.com/a.php?id=25288
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:38:01 AM by linder1 »

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 06:21:50 AM »
Thanks for those ideas. I don't want to use it all the time, but it could come in handy when the time zone difference makes it a problem.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 06:54:02 AM »
I use auctionsniper.com
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 07:01:13 AM »
I use bidnip and never had a problem using it

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »
Gixen is free. I would normally recommend it without reservation as I've used it for 2+ years now without issue. However, just last week it failed to put in a bid for me on one auction. It wasn't an important poster to me so it wasn't a big deal... But I would not be so forgiving if it was something rare.

Anyone else have an issue like this when using other programs?

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »
The only time I ever had an issue with auctionsniper is when i changed my username on ebay and did not update it on there.  it does cost, but it is pretty minimal.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Posteroid

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 09:53:14 AM »
Also using auctionsniper.
Only had had one technical problem in five years or so.

Armin

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 11:59:50 AM »
I feel like I'm very late to the game with automated sniping. I've got a bid on with Auction Sniper so I'll keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow morning!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 01:11:28 PM »
Bidnapper.com @ $7.99 month - works well, not too expensive

guest8

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 01:13:27 PM »
What I like about JBidwatcher is that its just an app on my computer and its free!!! :D

I dont get spending money to potentially try and save money :P

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 01:25:55 PM »
Also using auctionsniper.
Only had had one technical problem in five years or so.

Armin

Can I ask the specifics of the "technical problem"?  Did the bid fail to be placed? 

That is what happened to me with my Gixen problem.  Then again, I've probably placed well over 200 snipes with them and for only 1 to be problematic, that's not too bad for free software.

linder1

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 07:32:35 PM »
What I like about JBidwatcher is that its just an app on my computer and its free!!! :D

I dont get spending money to potentially try and save money :P

I hear you, but what I like about bidnip is that it's a la carte.  You can buy snipes in packs as small as 20 and up to 250.  At 20 they cost 35 cents a snipe.

Since I buy maybe 10 items a year from eBay these days, it's pretty economical.  And I don't have to worry about my comcraptastic connection going down and missing something, not to mention electricity cost of keeping my computer on 24/7.  I'd rather pay 30 cents or so and use their 60+ servers and not worry about it.  Set it and forget it for $3 a year.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »
Esnipe.com, and I love it!!! 

Also used by Holiday.

T.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 07:39:08 PM »
I use Auction Sentry

so what I had to leave my computer on last night so it would bid on the Blue Dahlia window card I won while I was sleeping

I love the program and I have been using it for probably 10 years at this point

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest8

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 08:03:36 PM »
I hear you, but what I like about bidnip is that it's a la carte.  You can buy snipes in packs as small as 20 and up to 250.  At 20 they cost 35 cents a snipe.

Since I buy maybe 10 items a year from eBay these days, it's pretty economical.  And I don't have to worry about my comcraptastic connection going down and missing something, not to mention electricity cost of keeping my computer on 24/7.  I'd rather pay 30 cents or so and use their 60+ servers and not worry about it.  Set it and forget it for $3 a year.

See my computers are ALWAYS on !! LOL .. I have two desktops that run non-stop only rebooting if Windows crashes or while Im doing updates. So keeping the computers on for programs isnt anything to me

linder1

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 10:09:09 PM »
See my computers are ALWAYS on !! LOL .. I have two desktops that run non-stop only rebooting if Windows crashes or while Im doing updates. So keeping the computers on for programs isnt anything to me

Understand.  This is a minor ancillary benefit.

The main thing for me is I figure an operation that is dedicated to providing the service with many servers will have a more reliable connection that comcrap.  Therefore I spend the $3-$4 a year and don't worry about it.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 10:14:51 PM »
I won't use sniping software on my pc, because:
- sometimes my pc reboots itself after an automatic windows update and I haven't manually rebooted it as it requested
- sometimes parts of the internet are unavailable to me, short lived hiccups
- my broadband pay as you go modem for some reason disconnects itself. I guess in theory my data allowance also could run out overnight whilst reloading some news sites or other sites that I am not looking at (whilst sleeping)

For the cost in pennies to snipe professionally it is worth it to me. All it takes is waking up one morning and seeing that your bid didnt get placed, and someone else got it for peanuts, is enough to make you cry! Not worth it (to me anyway)....

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 02:59:42 AM »
Well my first snipe went well. got the item for about 30% of my max bid and got a good nights sleep too. Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm a convert!

Juli

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 11:07:48 AM »
So I bid on a poster and I was winning it until the last second. Then some sniper came and took it from me. I'm surprised someone did that because I had this poster on my watch list for like ever and no one ever bought it with the Buy It Now it also had for $24.99. It was also an auction style listing which started at $15.00 so I put in the $15 bid, and no one else bid on it, so I was expecting to win it as it seemed no one else cared about it. Then at the last second mean old sniper gets it. To make matters worse, the seller doesn't have another one for sale (they used to have quite a few).  :o

~ Juli

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 11:34:36 PM »
Esnipe.com, and I love it!!! 

Also used by Holiday.

T.

And I...
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 11:38:38 PM »
I used esnipe when I used ebay, worked fine, and very cheap.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 04:30:54 PM »
Another esnipe user   I've been using it for many years and only had an issue when I changed my eBay password and forgot to do it on esnipe.  If you want a free sniping program, try gavelsnipe.  It also snipes Heritage auctions, if you're so inclined