Author Topic: insurance  (Read 5376 times)

pdb1

insurance
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:34:34 AM »
 ;)hi all i was thinking last night and i expect you all have spent a lot of money collecting your posters and was wondering do you cover your posters on your home insurance or not have any one had any taken what would you recommend
thanks  8)

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
Re: insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:31:59 AM »
Michael James & Associates offer a special collections policy from Ecclesiastical Insurance

Michael James & Associates are based in Surrey UK and can be contacted by e-mail at info@mjacroydon.co.uk or by telephone at 020 8657 9948

Hope that's useful!

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »
Finally got around to increasing my renters insurance from $20,000 personal property to $75,000.  

I'm paying $300 a year for the insurance through Travelers/GEICO, which I guess is worth it for peace of mind.

I took pictures of each drawer in the poster chest, downloaded Paypal history, etc. to provide proof if it all goes up in smoke...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:33:58 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »
Finally got around to increasing my renters insurance from $20,000 personal property to $75,000.  

$75K seems very low, specially someone who is corporate, before you even start with the big appliances and posters add up what it would cost you to replace each business shirt, tie, suit and shoes, then the jeans and sneakers...clothing really does add up

@pdb1 I'd check your current Home & Contents policy (or whatever it is called in your neck of the woods), unless you have extremely high value individual items then you are probably already covered, although I do know (here) if you have a 'collection' of something then you have to nominate what it is and value.
David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 03:37:30 PM »
Another option, too, is with a company like Collectibles Insurance Services, LLC, which deals in collectibles coverage:

http://www.collectinsure.com

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »
$75K seems very low, specially someone who is corporate, before you even start with the big appliances and posters add up what it would cost you to replace each business shirt, tie, suit and shoes, then the jeans and sneakers...clothing really does add up

@pdb1 I'd check your current Home & Contents policy (or whatever it is called in your neck of the woods), unless you have extremely high value individual items then you are probably already covered, although I do know (here) if you have a 'collection' of something then you have to nominate what it is and value.

$75,000 is the max for the general renters policy.

My furniture and clothes are not very valuable - probably worth $10-$15K - so the rest would cover the posters.  

According to the policy, "memorabilia, souvenirs, collectors items and similar articles whose age or history contribute to their value" will "be settled at actual cash value at the time of loss."

I figure with my pictures and transaction history from Paypal, Heritage, Emovie, etc. I should have sufficient proof to max out the coverage if it all was destroyed.

The main point is that I've had grossly insufficient coverage for at least two years, so I finally got my act together.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:50:01 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 04:58:20 PM »
$75,000 is the max for the general renters policy.

According to the policy, "memorabilia, souvenirs, collectors items and similar articles whose age or history contribute to their value" will "be settled at actual cash value at the time of loss."

Geeze, you guys have it tough protecting your assets. IIRC you've spent around $100K on your collection yet can only insure it for $75K (including the rest of your contents)?

And the guy who is renting a penthouse that is tastefully decorated, a fantastic wardrobe for both him and his wife, jewelery, etc some nice art but nothing too extravagant and a small but valuable collection of metal wingnuts can only insure it all for a max of $75K?
David

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 05:19:10 PM »
You get get higher $$$ policies but you have to hire an appraiser.

$300 is $25 a month and that's the most I am willing to pay, given the extremely low odds of anything happening. (Of course, anything is possible.  A $2 million house in my neighborhood recently burned to the ground due to a fire started by lightning. No one was there, fortunately.)

Besides, if I consigned my entire collection today - which is the only realistic way to dispose of it - I'd be lucky to recover $50K, so I figure $75K is about right for a general renters policy.

Anyway, my particular situation is not that noteworthy, just trying to encourage others to get sufficient coverage.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:22:40 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 06:18:27 PM »
You get get higher $$$ policies but you have to hire an appraiser.

not with Collectibles Insurance Agency

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 09:12:55 PM »

I'm paying $300 a year for the insurance through Travelers/GEICO, which I guess is worth it for peace of mind.

I took pictures of each drawer in the poster chest, downloaded Paypal history, etc. to provide proof if it all goes up in smoke...

Smart moves lawyer man!
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »

If it goes up in smoke, where are the records being kept, in the same apartment?

Just askin'  ;)
David

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 02:23:06 AM »
If it goes up in smoke, where are the records being kept, in the same apartment?

Just askin'  ;)

I think on this forum

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 02:33:32 AM »
I have an insurance story.
A bloke had hundreds of thousands in $100 notes, this was when we had paper notes in Australia.
Inside a safe.
His house burned down.
He had records of the cash, it wasn't money to be laundered or anything, just a funny old man with a distrust of banks.
Anyway the money all ignited in the safe from the heat.
They opened and it was all ashes.
However he was able to prove it was cash and not just papers, documents etc, from the ashes. And even how much there was.
Anyway, that's your bedtime story for the day.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Through the Stones

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 01:18:23 PM »
My understanding about this is that there needs to be a way to prove the value of each piece in your collection.  USAA, whom I use, specifically told me that eBay or auction prices don't reflect actual value and can't be used for replacement costs.  They said the tricky part about stuff like this is that, without documentation, it's very difficult to prove it's value because there are no "official" methods, for lack of a better term, of doing that.  Coins, comics, ball cards, etc have price guides and grading services, etc... they suggested getting an appraiser so there is some kind of official value associated with them.

In insuring them, they suggested that I put them under a valuable personal property rider like our wedding rings or other things like our computer and ca,eras, etc... without that, they would only be covered by our Home Owners insurance which means they are only covered in the event of one of the 16 named perils (Lightning or fire, Hail or windstorm, Damage caused by aircraft, Explosions, Riots or civil disturbances, Smoke damage, Damage caused by vehicles, Theft, Vandalism, Falling objects, Volcanic eruption, Damage from the weight of snow, ice, or sleet, Water damage from plumbing, heating, or air conditioning overflow, Water heater cracking, tearing, and burning, Damage from electrical current, Pipe freezing)

So for instance, your framing your newly linen backed three sheet of King Kong and you trip, spill your coffee all over it, then step on it punching a hole in King Kong's face and then crash into the wall destroying your framed Star Wars birthday One sheet... under standard Home Owners you are totally screwed.  Under a valuable personal property policy you are covered.

That's how I understand it and I'm not saying that's 100 percent lock stock either.  A buddy of mine had his entire collection in a storage unit and a pipe froze and burst giving almost everything that lovely lower thirds water damage/stain that would give you nightmares and he fought for months with the storage unit insurance company on replacement costs.  They guy told him there was not proper documentation or a reliable source for putting a replacement cost on each piece.  He used iGuide for help but got shut down on eBay histories and stuff like that.  He says ultimately he feels he got about half of what he should have so I am really interested in how to go about doing it right so I am protected.  Love this thread.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 01:35:14 PM »
forget all other insurance companies for this stuff. Collectibles Insurance Agency is the nuts
They don't need a list of your possessions. You don't need anyone to evaluate your collection before you get a policy. You tell them what you want, they will figure out the premium & you're covered. They do not however go for monthly premiums - they bill a 6 month premium, so you need that money all at one time.

if you have a loss, you submit a list of material that has been damaged, lost of stolen. If you have pictures or receipts to show proof of ownership, you are golden.

You will be paid "replacement value". You submit your list with a value. Their adjustor will call you and once you have agreed on the amount you're supposed to get to replace your collection, you get a check in short order.

for collectibles, there is no other choice.

http://www.collectinsure.com/index.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:37:39 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 02:48:09 PM »
forget all other insurance companies for this stuff. Collectibles Insurance Agency is the nuts
They don't need a list of your possessions. You don't need anyone to evaluate your collection before you get a policy. You tell them what you want, they will figure out the premium & you're covered. They do not however go for monthly premiums - they bill a 6 month premium, so you need that money all at one time.

if you have a loss, you submit a list of material that has been damaged, lost of stolen. If you have pictures or receipts to show proof of ownership, you are golden.

You will be paid "replacement value". You submit your list with a value. Their adjustor will call you and once you have agreed on the amount you're supposed to get to replace your collection, you get a check in short order.

for collectibles, there is no other choice.

http://www.collectinsure.com/index.html

I just got a quote of $582, double what my general renters insurance is charging, so it's more expensive, although it appears the "replacement value" coverage is better and less hassle to collect in case of damage.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 02:59:21 PM »
... although it appears the "replacement value" coverage is better and less hassle to collect in case of damage.

Just that part of it is worth the extra I would have thought.
David

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »
if you ever have a claim, watch how easy CIA makes the process

right now one of my friends, who is a well known film author & screenwriter, has a loss that will be six figures. He will be paid faster & better than any other company that you can find.

it's worth the extra money

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 03:12:25 PM »
$300 a year is the max I'm willing to pay under my particular circumstances.

Most of you own your own houses and your collections are more vulnerable than mine.

I live in a ginormous 50 year old solid brick apartment complex (450 apartments!) with no theft or security issues.  The fire department is very close and CONSTANTLY coming here to service false fire alarms, so there's no serious fire threat.  

A water pipe did burst downstairs and that's the only realistic scenario that could take out my collection.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:18:00 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
Bump.

Some good points, and ideas were offered here, too.

;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:31:17 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 07:20:07 PM »
So I'm dropping my rental insurance and getting collectibles insurance instead since my rent insurance went up 33% for no apparent reason.

Collectibles Insurance is charging me $450 for a one year policy for a $115,000 replacement cost policy.

http://www.collectinsure.com/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:20:53 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 07:16:32 AM »
For my part, I have inventoried my entire collection and emailed it to the insurance company.

There is a max £ level of insurance per item, and one poster can equal one item.  My collection has been classified as not 'antique-worthy', or whatever the insurance term is so doesn't warrant a special insurance.

As to the total of the collection plus my house contents, I just up-ed the total to include all, and we are done.

As and when something of note is added (rarely), then I will date and print off another copy to issue to the insurance company.