Author Topic: Are "boosted" images clever marketing or outright deception?  (Read 21721 times)

Charlie

Re: Are "boosted" images clever marketing or outright deception?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Damn Rich, I watch the whole scroll hoping something would blow up when the two blahs met.  I feel cheated.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 02:46:43 PM »
And I sat ages waiting for them to come back again, and they didn't....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »
Damn Rich, I watch the whole scroll hoping something would blow up when the two blahs met.  I feel cheated.

Me too, Space Invaders style....
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 03:16:58 PM »
Bruce, again, I do understand what you are saying.  Please understand the following:

No two cameras are going to capture the same image.
camera images are useless unless they are imported into a program and converted into an accepted image format (gif, jpg, bmp, etc)
All of these programs use compression, and thus take liberties with resolution, color depth and contrast.
They are then placed on a webpage and displayed on a computer where you have no control of the settings.  My computer here at work has twin displays.  As hard as I have tried, there is a color and contrast difference between the two.  Drives me nuts at times.

It isn't like this "unnamed party" is going into photoshop and erasing foldlines and defects.  This is an image file, taken from the camera.  You believe he is changing contrast and color saturation.  I'm not so sure, and if your photographer is any sort of pro, he is doing it as well.  You just believe your choices are more 'natural'.  But I can guarantee you that what I see on my screen is not the same as you see on your screen for the same poster.  So I am not seeing the real poster anyway.  As hard as you try, I am sometimes surprised by what arrives.  Usually the colors on the real are more vibrant than on your images, so some could say you mute yours. :)

Now, if you discuss including large images, there is no argument.  Nobody includes images as large and detailed as yours.  They are appreciated and I wish others did so.  Again, that is a bandwidth and money issue though.

OK, this should probably be my last post on this as I suspect we are boring the members.  Sorry folks, the engineer in me got tweaked.
-Jay-

Bruce

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 03:36:12 PM »
"Again, that is a bandwidth and money issue though"

Sadly, there is also a morality issue. I know that almost everyone who has ever purchased expensive posters has (on one or many occasions) opened a package and found a poster that was not what was pictured.

You think this is caused by the wonderful cameras they (ALL such sellers, not just one) use. I think they are intentionally deceiving the buyer.

We have to agree to disagree.

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 04:02:28 PM »
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Charlie

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »
Well my opinion is sellers should stop relying so much on pictures and typical grades and describe the defects of the posters better.  I know Bruce puts commentary regarding scuffs and crease etc. dings...  But more would even be better. 

The in question just provides a general description of what that grade may be and sometimes describes defects.  I once bought an poster from in question and must have passed over some of the defects in the photo, but I sure read the write up.  If it would have said "there is a noticeable stain in the freakin center of the poster" I would have looked harder.  I was some what disappointed when I unrolled it. But when I checked the photo there it was... So it was on me.

Charlie

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »

You should pay attention you boost yours too Rich...  My Dirty Harry B2 looked like it had sat over the lazy boy of a 4 pack-a-day smoker for 20 years when I got it... unlike the photo...  But I knew it wasn't perfect to start with and got a deal, so I'm happy. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »

I didn't know it was Xmas already!?
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »
Will post Dick tomorrow, gonig to bed early now...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 05:03:23 PM »
Will post Dick tomorrow, gonig to bed early now...

Let's hope this does not start a trend!   :o
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 05:05:21 PM »
Let's hope this does not start a trend!   :o

Or inspire a new thread!  laugh1
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:10:58 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »
You should pay attention you boost yours too Rich...  My Dirty Harry B2 looked like it had sat over the lazy boy of a 4 pack-a-day smoker for 20 years when I got it... unlike the photo...  But I knew it wasn't perfect to start with and got a deal, so I'm happy. 

Charlie

I don't boost anything. I don't edit anything. I don't do anything other than resizing.
the camera shoots & you get the picture you get. As I said earlier in this thread, I only shoot so you  can see condition issues. I'm not concerned if actual color matching can be achieved under these fluorescent lights, and maybe you need to calbrate your monitor.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Charlie

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 05:16:54 PM »
Charlie

I don't boost anything. I don't edit anything. I don't do anything other than resizing.
the camera shoots & you get the picture you get. As I said earlier in this thread, I only shoot so you  can see condition issues. I'm not concerned if actual color matching can be achieved under these fluorescent lights, and maybe you need to calbrate your monitor.

I'll take a photo tonight and we can compare.  This may be exactly what Jay was talking about.  I did notice the other day that some photos looks different from my home monitor hooked up to a HDMI cord versus here at work on typical pin connection.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »
Charlie, if you go back in this thread or where ever this silly discussion started you will find I ran down a whole host of reasons why a picture on my computer looks diff than one on yours.

to think I would take the time to color orchestrate my photos is also silly. You don't really think I have time for such foolishness do you? The only setting in my camera is for lighting & white balance, which the camera does automatically. I don't run any macros or image correction at all other than resizing images. I don't have time for anything else.

Now if I'm shooting for PRINT, like for a book or print ad - oh yes I certainly will edit images to achieve a desired result. That's a different ballgame

-------

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:30:56 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »
Shoulda known.  Full moon tonight.  I'm guilty as well.
-Jay-

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 11:29:51 PM »

to think I would take the time to color orchestrate my photos is also silly. You don't really think I have time for such foolishness do you? The only setting in my camera is for lighting & white balance, which the camera does automatically. I don't run any macros or image correction at all other than resizing images.

I think you do, Rich. In fact, I have proof -and I am showing it- that you are shamelessly boosting images in the site you run.

I recently bought this at movieposterbid:

And this is what I got when I opened the package:

;)
Matias

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 11:33:44 PM »
Fantastic Matias!  ;D
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 11:47:16 PM »
That's priceless, Matias.  Stout and Moss have nuthin' on you!  thumbup

Charlie

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 11:48:39 PM »
Yeah sorry my comparison promise fell through; I forgot that we were going to see Star Wars 3D tonight...  By the was is now the only way to see it.  I know some dogged it, but it was the best looking Star Wars I've ever seen.  I got giddy and wanted to applaud when it was over...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 11:52:14 PM »
Oh matias.. I was wondering what happened to that item. We sent yu the wrong piece. The person who won that item was so disappointed to get that Underworld poster & has been asking me every week if the missing item turned up. Can I have you send it to the real winner

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 11:55:43 PM »
Oh matias.. I was wondering what happened to that item. We sent yu the wrong piece. The person who won that item was so disappointed to get that Underworld poster & has been asking me every week if the missing item turned up. Can I have you send it to the real winner

So it was a mistake? You are OK in my book now...
I'll ship it back so the true owner can have some piece of mind.  thumbup
Matias

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 11:59:59 PM »
That's priceless, Matias.  Stout and Moss have nuthin' on you!  thumbup

Thanks Ted, Stout and Moss actually have nuthin' on Mega Ethan

http://megaethan.tumblr.com/
Matias