Author Topic: Are "boosted" images clever marketing or outright deception?  (Read 21872 times)

Charlie

Re: Are "boosted" images clever marketing or outright deception?
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
Last time I weigh in on this.  If you say that no camera can truly capture the colors and details, how can you say in the next sentence that HA is deliberately misleading by boosting colors?  We have enough reports from folks who actually saw the posters in question and reported that they were bright and vibrant.

As I said earlier, no two cameras, no two light stands, no two user monitors, no two user graphic cards and no two picture editing programs will produce the same results.  YMMV, and if you are that concerned, buy a plane ticket.

Again, bored now.

I know that my responses are long, but please read them before making such strong statements.  Want to read it and then try again?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2012, 02:37:29 PM »
Charlie, thanks for the first hand account and your own, in person, observations about the condition and appearance of the poster(s) you were interested in. It sounds like you might have been the only APF member to attend (?), so unless someone else was there, with their own camera, or who talked to a Heritage rep themselves, much of the above is nothing more than opinions presented, "from afar." It is easy to do, from the comfort of one's living room, over the interwebs.

You were there, you made the trek, and got up close and personal with the pieces you had interest in. That is certainly better than any hi res image, printed catalog description, or paragraphs of individual's personal opinions (and who were not there). For that very reason, there is No reason to get blue in the face, either.

I'm sure it made for an awesome trip, overall.  clap

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
Amazing how people can just skim posts and then base an entire argument on words or accusations that were never put forward in the first place  eyeroll

The guy Charlie spoke with admitted catalogue photos *can be altered on occasion*.  End of story.  That's all I was ever trying to get across.

Of course there is no substitute to seeing a poster in person.  Any photo, scan etc will look different than the "first hand" poster.  But is abundantly clear that some of HA's photos have been altered (and now admitted to) to make the posters appear more uniform and for some perhaps more desirable...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:37:17 PM by CSM »
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »
As promised, here are photos of my Curse of the Werewolf compared to the Heritage originals.

First, I'm certainly satisfied with the poster and have no interest in returning it. The colors are quite good, especially for a 50 year old poster.

However, it's clear that the colors are substantially different from the Heritage image.  Clearly, the colors have been shifted to the red.  The woman's dress is orange in "real life" but is red in Heritage's pictures.  It also appears the colors in the Heritage pic are somewhat more "saturated."

Clearly Heritage needs to do a better job matching its digital images to the real item.

I'll have to go back and do some more comparative pictures.  This is the first time I've ever noticed any distinction between the actual poster and the digital image.

My pic on left, Heritage on right.  Note that the "Primary Color" book is true red and the dress is orange.

My close up of the woman in the image:

Heritage image:

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:40:23 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Bruce

« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2012, 07:59:49 PM »
Mel, the point has never been whether the "boosting" helps them in getting higher prices, or is necessarily done to be deceptive.

My point was solely that it IS happening, and that their images are substantially different from ours, and you have just completely corroborated that.

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »
The jury is out on whether the Signature Auction pics are aberrational. 

I can tell you that the Heritage picture for the Butch Cassidy B2 poster I bought from them is right on the money.  My camera is not that great so they look slightly different in the below comparison picture but holding it directly to the computer monitor it looks exactly the same:

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2012, 08:37:13 PM »
Last time I weigh in on this.  If you say that no camera can truly capture the colors and details, how can you say in the next sentence that HA is deliberately misleading by boosting colors?  We have enough reports from folks who actually saw the posters in question and reported that they were bright and vibrant.

As I said earlier, no two cameras, no two light stands, no two user monitors, no two user graphic cards and no two picture editing programs will produce the same results.  YMMV, and if you are that concerned, buy a plane ticket.

Again, bored now.

I agree with Jay.. especially the "bored" part

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2012, 08:45:56 PM »

However, it's clear that the colors are substantially different from the Heritage image.  

Are we still on April the 1st?  ;)

Now seriously, that's a great poster Mel, one of my favourite wolf man images. Well done.  thumbup
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Charlie

« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
However, it's clear that the colors are substantially different from the Heritage image.  Clearly, the colors have been shifted to the red.  The woman's dress is orange in "real life" but is red in Heritage's pictures.  It also appears the colors in the Heritage pic are somewhat more "saturated."

Cough, cough.  I feel a there is a debt to be paid here...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2012, 09:48:47 PM »
Mel, is that the closest we will ever get to a recantation?  ;)

Would have thought HA would have given you the Werewolf for free for all your unpaid defence work...
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2012, 10:16:17 PM »
Mel, is that the closest we will ever get to a recantation?  ;)

Would have thought HA would have given you the Werewolf for free for all your unpaid defence work...

Hey Chris, 583 daybills for sale!!!!!!

Cough, cough.  I feel a there is a debt to be paid here...

You'll get what's coming to you, pal!  In the mail....
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:17:45 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2012, 04:36:48 PM »
I was on it at 10:01pm...

Stepped all over me as I waited patiently for the door to open...
David

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »
Stepped all over me as I waited patiently for the door to open...

Don't forget about the dirt I kicked in your face too  :-*
Chris

agentprovocateur

« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »
I love this forum... you lot are hilarious ;D