Author Topic: dispute help  (Read 5317 times)

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
dispute help
« on: February 11, 2012, 04:25:43 AM »
ok.
sold a poster on ebay.
sent it via international signed for delivery.
11 days later, guy files a dispute saying poster hasnt arrived.
i post tracking number, says its in oz for delivery.
guy posts not good enough wants full refund.

where do i stand?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:26:19 AM by AmovieMasterpiece »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: dispute help
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 04:36:21 AM »
He hasn't collected/signed for it?
It's in the wrong country?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:37:19 AM by 50s »

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 05:10:57 AM »
What's his reason for the refund? If it's because he doesn't like the poster, he needs to send it back. If it's because it has taken 11 days, he hasn't got a leg to stand on surely?

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 05:24:43 AM »
I thought that if you provided ebay/paypal with proof that you have sent the item, there is nothing he can do...other than leave negative feedback.
Ves

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 06:06:40 AM »
cant you give him the tracking # as proof its there waiting for him?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 06:25:40 AM »
thanks for the reply guys, to clarify, its in australia out for delivery, he hasnt yet received it, but iv given him and paypal the tracking details, reason i ask is iv heard paypal dont care if you have a tracking number it must be delivered?

Charlie

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 06:28:29 AM »
I think as long as you are communicating the buyer can't escalate for refund.  If all else fails call eBay...

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 06:31:23 AM »
depending where he is in Australia it can be slow. I send from here in the country and it can take a week or more to get to Sydney. Wheres as when I am in Sydney I have got parcels from UK in 3 days. If he isnt in a capital city, or heaven forbid he is in Western Australia, it can be slow.
An Error Has Occurred!

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 06:31:50 AM »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:33:32 AM by Charlie »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 06:53:55 AM »
Sometimes when I follow tracking into Australia, the wording sounds like it is ready for collection but really meant it arrived at the parcel sorting facility a day or 2 away from actual delivery to final destination address. So wondering what the wording is on the tracking.

Otherwise sounds like the person may have changed their mind and doesnt want it so wont collect it maybe...

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 07:02:52 AM »
als it might be at his post office awaiting collection and he threw away the collection note with junk mail, or didnt get one, or something. I have had a parcel go back to USA (via surface mail) because i didnt collect it, but I was looking for the collection note and didnt get it. ACTUALLY it wasnt a poster it was Poster Price Almanac, I didnt recieve it, and I emailed John Kisch, he was nice enough to send me another copy, and then 3 months ater he emailed me the 1st one had just arived back to NY as unclaimed. HA.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 07:45:21 AM »
Seems to me that if the package is still in transit he has no right to a refund until he receives it and sends it back.
Especially if your tracking confirms it is in his country.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 08:12:07 AM »
thanks for the reply guys, to clarify, its in australia out for delivery, he hasnt yet received it, but iv given him and paypal the tracking details, reason i ask is iv heard paypal dont care if you have a tracking number it must be delivered?

No, my experience is if you have tracking info showing you sent it, you should be ok.
Ves

guest8

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 08:42:18 AM »
No, my experience is if you have tracking info showing you sent it, you should be ok.

but what if the buyer doesn't accept it? This is one downfall to requiring a signature.. Otherwise the postal worker will just leave it at the door and it will be "delivered" and then you are in the clear. If they don't accept it then I think that's different. More like a lost package. That's is just how I understand it, I may be wrong and I don't have time to try and dig up the research.

I personally think this guys trying to get out of the transaction, if it shows that it is out for delivery that's a good thing. I usually back off of a seller if they can show me that. The fact that hes still pushing for a refund (IMHO) means hes trying to pull something .. Maybe he changed his mind or maybe he is trying to work a scam to get the refund then keep the poster when it does arrive.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 10:57:25 AM »
So, who is this buyer on Ebay?
Out him so we can block him from bidding.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 10:59:23 AM »
I don't think It's arrived yet, Jon. If it's signed for it's registered on computer, if he refuses to sign for it, it gets registered as rejected. So you know either way. If it's lost you make a claim and get your money back, and he eventually gets his back from you. For mail to be officially lost is 15 days in the U.K. so maybe a few more for international.

Chill out for a few days, see how it goes...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 11:28:15 AM »
This is why I hate selling ANYTHING on eBay with Paypal. Buying, sure. But selling is a PITA.

You get crazy idiots out there who think that you have some instantaneous transportation device, and if their package doesn't arrive within 15 minutes of them paying you, they want their money back.

And then you have the fraudsters who try and claim that they didn't get the item, or it was stolen from their doorstep, or it wasn't in the package, or ________. And the buyer has total control. If they fight hard enough for a refund, Paypal WILL reverse the funds. Even if they "lose" the PayPal dispute, the buyer can just dispute it with their CC company and PayPal will reverse the funds anyway. eBay/Paypal has made it clear through their policies and actions that they only care about buyers, since they outnumber sellers 100-to-1, and will do whatever they can to make them happy, regardless of what's right and wrong.

On the very rare occasions I've sold something recently on eBay, fortunately I've had relatively good luck. No one scammed me, but I did have a buyer who did a BIN, waited five days, and then said they didn't want it. So not only did I have to relist the item with no recourse (ie: no more negative feedback ability against them), but I was out $5+ in listing fees that eBay refused to refund me.

Hopefully this guy is just an idiot and not a scammer, and once he gets his package he'll be OK. Good luck!

Juli

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »
And then you have the fraudsters who try and claim that they didn't get the item, or it was stolen from their doorstep, or it wasn't in the package, or ________. And the buyer has total control. If they fight hard enough for a refund, Paypal WILL reverse the funds. Even if they "lose" the PayPal dispute, the buyer can just dispute it with their CC company and PayPal will reverse the funds anyway. eBay/Paypal has made it clear through their policies and actions that they only care about buyers, since they outnumber sellers 100-to-1, and will do whatever they can to make them happy, regardless of what's right and wrong.

I agree. Selling on eBay is very annoying but there are some items I have where I don't know where else to really sell (such as autographs of modern celebrities).

I wish eBay would back the sellers. I recently lost money and my item because the buyer claimed he never received it when I am pretty certain he did and he was getting back at me for reminding him to pay me, then he finally pays for the item after 11 days. I sent the item out right away, then 14 days later he messages me saying he never got item. I was forced to refund him his money and never got my item back. Luckily he has not left me negative feedback, but who knows if he will in the future (it would be my first negative feedback).

~ Juli
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:19:38 PM by Juli »

ozcinemagic

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 05:55:23 AM »
I agree. Selling on eBay is very annoying but there are some items I have where I don't know where else to really sell (such as autographs of modern celebrities).

I wish eBay would back the sellers. I recently lost money and my item because the buyer claimed he never received it when I am pretty certain he did and he was getting back at me for reminding him to pay me, then he finally pays for the item after 11 days. I sent the item out right away, then 14 days later he messages me saying he never got item. I was forced to refund him his money and never got my item back. Luckily he has not left me negative feedback, but who knows if he will in the future (it would be my first negative feedback).

~ Juli

Make sure with any Item Not Received claims that you go through the process with Paypal. If a buyer is regularly scamming sellers then the amount of INR disputes will alert them to a problem. Without full tracking to back you up, it's all you can do.
Aust Post will refund up to $50 for lost items, although they are painfully slow. Anything dearer I put the price up to cover the more expensive postage. Overall though, I find by communicating with buyers and leaving them positive feedback straight away, I don't get many problems. My only other tip would be to open unpaid cases after 4 days and close them as soon as the option becomes available. Ebay is an auction, and at auction you pay on the day. If someone is slow paying, they've probably gone cold on the item or were half tanked when they bid! Better to cut them loose and move on.  ;)
Mark