Author Topic: What would this go for in Bruce's Haloween Auction?  (Read 5775 times)

Charlie

What would this go for in Bruce's Haloween Auction?
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:47:06 PM »
Just a value question.  When Bruce called for consignments for the Halloween auction I thought about some stuff I wanted to get rid of.  This 98 re-release 4 fogli of Clockwork Orange came to mind.  I am just not sure what it would go for.  What do you guys think it would go for?  I don't see many 4 fogli come up for this title and none have ever come up with this image.  The only other 4 fogli that came up was in lesser condition and went for $42.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: What would this go for in Bruce's Haloween Auction?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »
I can tell you from experience that 4-foglios are a bitch to frame up properly.  I would only go through the expense for something special.  Being a '98 re-release, I'm not sure this one would qualify as special 'enough' to most people.  I think $50 is about right for this one. Not sure if that is answer you wanted to hear or not....

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:23:59 PM »
I can tell you from experience that 4-foglios are a bitch to frame up properly.  I would only go through the expense for something special.  Being a '98 re-release, I'm not sure this one would qualify as special 'enough' to most people.  I think $50 is about right for this one. Not sure if that is answer you wanted to hear or not....

Not really looking for a particular positive/negative answer but I don't want to spend $10 shipping it for it sell for $30 and I actually end up losing money...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:34:31 PM »
Yeah, at $10 shipping and a $50 sale price, you would only net $20 or so.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:08:40 PM »

Probably ebay would be a better avenue.  At least the buyer would pay the shipping.

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 03:08:36 PM »
Yeah, at $10 shipping and a $50 sale price, you would only net $20 or so.

Wow, I didn't realize emovieposter takes 35% of the sale at that level - that's a big percentage.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »
I notice that whenever Sean starts needling me it is because he has an auction of his own coming up, and this way he gets to promote it. So how about this time you simply tell us about your auction and skip the disingenuous needling?

Bruce
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:20:10 PM by Bruce »

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 04:51:58 PM »
C`mon kids, don`t start...

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Bruce

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 06:23:35 PM »
Our Rates

We have carefully figured out how much time and effort goes into selling an item online, from start to finish. It takes the exact same amount of work to sell a $10 one-sheet as a $1000 one-sheet. The cost to us of the labor and overhead required to sell each item is an absolute minimum of $9 each. The vast majority of buyers pay with credit cards or PayPal, which costs us roughly three percent of the total. Taking everything into consideration, we have arrived at the below commission rates (note that the rate is very high on sub-$30 items and sky-high on sub-$12 items) in order to greatly discourage people from sending such items. We lose a substantial amount of money on all items that sell for just a few dollars each, and we are trying really hard to get people to stop sending them, as they "drag down" the final prices for all items.

Items selling for:    We receive this amount:
         $1000.00+    20% of the selling price
$500.00 to $999.99    22% of the selling price
$400.00 to $499.99    24% of the selling price
$300.00 to $399.99    26% of the selling price
$100.00 to $299.99    28% of the selling price
$ 70.00 to $ 99.99    30% of the selling price
$ 40.00 to $ 69.99    35% of the selling price
$ 30.00 to $ 39.99    40% of the selling price
$ 20.00 to $ 29.99    50% of the selling price
$ 12.00 to $ 19.99    60% of the selling price
$  8.00 to $ 11.99    66% of the selling price
$   .01 to $  7.99    75% of the selling price

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT OUR RATES: The rates are for each individual item sold, not for your consignment as a whole. Also, a "bulk lot" is considered a single item, so if a lot of 50 posters sells for $100, the rate you pay will be 28% for one item, not 75% for each individual item.

These may seem like really high rates on the sub-$20 items, but in actuality, we will not come close to breaking even on the sub-$20 items, because we have an hour of labor in every item, and we don't get enough to pay for that hour for items that sell for under $20, plus we still have to pay all the web hosting fees, advertising fees, and credit card fees (we'll get $5.99 for an item that sells for $7.99, but we still lose money on that item! We get $7.20 for an item that sells for $11.99, but we still lose money on that item! We get $12.00 for an item that sells for $19.99, and we probably just barely break even on that item, which is a waste of our time!) Therefore, we have made these rates extremely high on the sub-$20 items in an attempt to get people to stop sending them for individual sale (but we gladly accept such items as "bulk lots")! Sub-$20 items COST us money (we lose money on almost every one) and they cost our consignors money, because having a lot of sub-$20 items causes bidders to lose interest in bidding, and they bid less than they do when there are very few sub-$20 items! Remember that we must pay all the website fees, the credit card fees, and the cost of sending the items, and, unlike every other major auction company, WE CHARGE NO BUYERS PREMIUMS TO OUR CUSTOMERS! Please realize that if you were to sell these lower priced items yourself, you would probably find that you weren't even earning minimum wage, after taking into account the amount of time you spent and the fees you would pay. Selling items for just a few dollars each is just a waste of everyone's time.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »
I notice that whenever Sean starts needling me it is because he has an auction of his own coming up, and this way he gets to promote it. So how about this time you simply tell us about your auction and skip the disingenuous needling?

Bruce

Nope. No auction.
Just having fun needling a friend.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Bruce

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
You mean you DON'T have your usual incredible Halloween auction on eBay (or that new site) this year? You have had the most astounding selection for many years, and it would be very missed if it were not there (or in a new home). Say it ain't so, Joe.

Bruce

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »
Nope, no Halloween auction this year.  The eyes of the world will all be on you  :)
www.Kaijuposters.com

Charlie

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 11:28:46 PM »
Bruce, I didn't get response to my e-mail regarding restructuring your percentages for credit.  I saw on the e-mail from Phillip that you do do credit versus cash.  But, essentially, credit nets you more money because that is another 2 dollar bid here or 5 dollar bid there that may not have been submitted.  You would get higher prices and you have extra cash on hand...  

With items less than $50 why would someone like me who knows how to list on eBay ever really have motivation to send posters.  eBay has no initial shipping cost and only .25 listing and 8-10% final value fees.  Being that your service itself has only dramatic impact on rarer higher priced items (because even if a $15 poster sells for $30 your take makes up for it) its a no brainer.  The reason I even considered it was just to experience consigning something and to see how it would do.

Just some of my thoughts; not trying to damn the process just lay it out on the table...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:33:38 PM by Charlie »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 12:15:14 AM »
With items less than $50 why would someone like me who knows how to list on eBay ever really have motivation to send posters.  eBay has no initial shipping cost and only .25 listing and 8-10% final value fees.  Being that your service itself has only dramatic impact on rarer higher priced items (because even if a $15 poster sells for $30 your take makes up for it) its a no brainer.  The reason I even considered it was just to experience consigning something and to see how it would do.

I don't agree.  Consignment overall is way better than selling on Ebay. I've watched thousands of auctions on Emovie and have consigned 50 or so items to Emovie recently. It's just a fact that posters generally sell for more on Emovie, sometimes a lot more, sometimes for crazy prices (where are you anonymouse?). But more importantly, you don't have to deal with the nightmare of selling posters one by one.  If I had to sell my collection one by one, I'd go off the deep end.

Charlie

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 12:42:18 AM »
emovie:

Lets say it sells for $50

You net: $32.50

Your Costs:

$10+$2 (supplies) to ship poster to Bruce
$13 cost - yeah I picked up the CO for 10 Euros

Your Profit:

$32.50 - $25 = $7.50

eBay

Lets say it sells for $30

You net $27.50

Your Costs:

$0 shipping because buyer pays
$0.25 listing fee
$13 Cost of poster
$1.60 Paypal fee

Your Profit:

$27.50-$14.85 = $12.65

That is an additional 69% return even at a lower price fetched from eBay...  You may argue that there is labor cost to take into account; but why even sell a poster to net $7.50.  Still, that is a 55% return on my money without any labor...

So I guess maybe the key is to consign several at once to cut down on shipping cost and instead of focusing on the amount focus on the ROI w/o personal labor...

Aww what the hell; I think it would be fun to just see what it would bring...  Deadlines the 30th right?  Wonder if I can send stuff for the last M/M with it to cut down on ship costs.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 01:15:21 AM »
emovie:

Lets say it sells for $50

You net: $32.50

Your Costs:

$10+$2 (supplies) to ship poster to Bruce
$13 cost - yeah I picked up the CO for 10 Euros

Your Profit:

$32.50 - $25 = $7.50

But you don't normally consign just one poster at a time.  That doesn't make any sense. I packed 40 posters in one tube the last time I consigned to Emovie.  Cost about $25 to ship. So that's less than a dollar per poster.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:39:04 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

tstatum

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 01:36:10 AM »
And let's be honest if you don't have the supplies to ship one poster you haven't bought much.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 01:37:50 AM »

Aww what the hell; I think it would be fun to just see what it would bring...  Deadlines the 30th right?  Wonder if I can send stuff for the last M/M with it to cut down on ship costs.

Can one say they want specific stuff in the Mini/Major? Doesn't Bruce decide what stuff makes it in there or not?

Like, could I include 20 of my worst Mexican lobby cards in the Mini/Major ???

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:51:14 AM by 50s »

Bruce

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 05:50:36 AM »
Charlie

I don't want consignors who have only one item to auction (unless it is a wonderful item), but I do allow people to send one item, if that helps them out. I also don't want consignors who have an exact idea of what they would expect for their items and will be disappointed if they get any less, even if the items overall do better than they wanted! I also don't want consignors who think of their time as not costing very much, who will spend an hour listing and shipping a single item on eBay and not consider their time worth anything, so if they netted $6 extra they see it as doing "better".

What I DO want are consignors who have a lot of items and don't want a part-time or full-time job selling those posters! The simple test of whether what I offer is right for anyone is for that person to send me ten or 20 items (assuming they have that many to sell) and then see if the total they get back from me is an amount they are both happy with, and is also an amount that is greater than what they could have gotten for the posters selling them any other way (where they sell them all at once).

Not everyone is going to be a consignor. Sean for example never has. He has been happy to sell on eBay, and for him the time spent on listing the items, packing and shipping, and dealing with the buyers is worth it to him. There ARE however, quite a few dealers who USED to sell quite a bit directly on eBay as Sean does, who now send their items to me. They LOVE not having to deal with eBay or buyers, and many of them have told me they are making more money than before, because they now have far more time to go out and find new acquisitions. As eBay keeps raising their fees and becoming more and more "anti-seller" we keep getting more and more new consignors (we have now had over 800!).

I need to get 2,000 consigned items EVERY week, and if I got them one at a time I would go crazy! My average consignor sends at least 100 items at a time, and as Mel points out, the shipping per item then goes WAY down (and the work of selling 100 items one at a time is drastically higher than just sending the entire group to me).

Bruce
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:52:59 AM by Bruce »

Charlie

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 10:12:52 AM »
OK I'm starting to get it.  I think I started this thread because of the call for the specific Halloween auction and I simply asked myself "What type of Halloween stuff do I have?" And the clockwork was rolling around in my head.  I've never consigned or sold a poster before so this is all new to me. 

Thanks for your patience Bruce...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 10:48:11 AM »
That brings up the question of what to do with the junk in your collection?  Never mind the part about one man's trash.  I'm sure many of us have stuff in the collection that has little or no value and that we didn't particularly seek out.  I hate to throw it away, the same way I hate to throw out a book.  The title is likely semi-scarce and a piece of history, but it is a piece that nobody particlarly wants.

So, I hang onto it and clutter up my storage.  I'm starting to worry because I'm getting old and it is probably bad enough to saddle the kids with disposing of it.  I hate to add the part where they need to sort out the chunk that isn't worthy of Bruce or Rich.

And if you think it still is one man's trash, here is an excerp of the "A's" 1 sheets from my database.  I'd say 20-25% is pure junk. (to be fair, I tend to grade somewhat harshly)

Movie Name   Year   Cond   F/R   notes
101 Dalmations   1996   F   Rolled   Polish 1 sheet
1776 (Musical)   1972   F   Folded   
52 Pick Up   1986   VG   Folded   One small hole at folds. Some corner bends
99 and 44/100% Dead   1974   VG   Folded   minor tears and wrinkles
A Day of Judgement      VG   Folded   
A Midnight Clear   1992   NM   Folded   
Abyss, The   1989   G   Rolled   Prev Folded.  Scuffs and wrinkles.
AC/DC Let There Be Rock   1982   F   Folded   
Affairs of Dobie Gillis, The   1953   F   Folded   
After the Fall of New York   1984   VG   Folded   Tear lower left
Aladdin   1992   VG   Rolled   Double Sided. Hands holding lamp style.
American Werewolf in London, An   1981   F   Rolled   Previously Folded
Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders   1965   VG   Folded   
Angel of Vengance      F   Folded   
Animal House   1978   VG-G   Folded   Style B  stains, some water wrinkling
Annie Get Your Gun   1956   fair   Folded   torn,
-Jay-

Bruce

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 01:09:55 PM »
Jay, that is why we have the Sunday bullk lots. People who can't bear to throw stuff out ship it to us, and we put it in lots, and sometimes they go for next-to-nothing, but they go to someone who will enjoy it or try to re-sell it (many well known dealers are regular buyers of bulk lots).

Bruce