Author Topic: Worth saving? To back, or not to back!!  (Read 11790 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Worth saving? To back, or not to back!!
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »
As much as I am against linen backing I do think it has it's place. Really damaged posters that might never turn up again, or a total one only left in existance that needs to be preserved. I have had this Quad for some time hopeing to come across another, but I think this is never going to happen. So is this worth saving? I am sure it's from the first U.K. release in 1949. Any U.K. Abbott & Costello posters are quite rare anyway, so that alone is worth considering, But the big question is, how much will it cost to do? And how much will it be worth when done? Is a restored poster worth as much as a unrestored one? I don't think so. So any help/suggestions off you guy's will be greatfully received. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Worth saving? To back, or not to back!!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:09:11 PM »
Dude, it totally sucks.  It's not worth saving.  Send it to me and I will trash it for you.

Are you kidding?  Of course it's worth saving.  I think it would look awesome linenbacked, cleaned up, its colors revived, and framed.  Especially given its rarity.  I'd do it in a heartbeat.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 03:49:17 PM »
I agree.  I think that is one of the instances where linenbacking/restoration will definitely *increase* the value of the poster (if sold at auction).  Even though I have been trying to collect mainly un-backed posters as of late... if it was mine, I would send it off for resto.

Carson

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 04:22:19 PM »
When he says "save", eatbrie, I think Paul's asking whether to restore or not to restore. I don't think he's pondering whether to trash it. I'm a linen-as-last-resort type, myself, and agree with the above this baby needs it. I'd definitely send it in for resto with John or Dario. What a great piece.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »
Actually, I should revise my above statement... I still agree that this poster *needs* restoration if the intent is to preserve and/or display it. 

However, after some research I'm not certain it will increase the value enough to to make it worth your while if you intend to sell it.  Bruce has a record of one of these selling in 2003 in G-VG condition for only $238.50.  If it was restored on linen I would imagine it would go for a similar amount in this market, if not a bit more... say $300 to be generous.  After Bruce's 26% cut at that selling price, you would pocket $238 minus any restoration costs (which would probably be ~$250 if not more).  So you are out of pocket at this point, especially after shipping to/from... blah, blah, blah.  Contrast that will selling it as-is where you might get $100 or so, more if you are lucky.   

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify as I thought this might sell for closer to what the Universal Horror -- Abbott/Costello joint pic posters go for... which this title doesn't.

cinemarts

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 12:37:48 AM »
This is a problem for all collectors and dealers, where the cost of linen backing and restoration is outweighed by what the piece is
worth if it were in good shape to start with.

For someone who likes the film and/or the poster and wants to enjoy it, then the restoration cost is just part of the expense.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 01:16:09 AM »
Very true.  Many times in those circumstances (especially with more common/recent posters) it makes more sense to be patient and get a copy that is in better condition. 

However, with a poster like this -- early post-war UK quad -- the paper is probably pretty scarce so the decision becomes all the more difficult.  If you really like it, go for it and restore it to display.  You can always upgrade to an unrestored copy in better condition if it happens your way in the future... You might be out some money after the swap, but it shouldn't matter too much if you've been able to enjoy it in the meantime.

Let us know what you decide to do with it... it is a great poster regardless! 

cinemarts

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 01:53:34 AM »
This A&C quad also looks very brittle, and appears to be a letterpress or a silk screen from the pictures.
The paper perhaps flakes off a little more each time it is handled so in this case - if it's a keeper - better to get it done sooner rather thna later.

Harry Caul is correct - quads like this really do not show up that often.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 11:57:09 AM »
Thanks for the comments and info guy's, yes the poster is quite brittle and could do with somthing doing with it, as you say handling it is tricky. I have been waiting for another to turn up for quite some time, but this has not happened, I don't always check Bruce's site so missed that one. I don't suppose he still has a picture of it?
     Any info on where I can contact John or Dario. Are these guy's in the U.S.? Is there any one in the U.K. who is any good.

I never trash any posters I have, I don't sell either. They just stay in the collection so I would only be getting it done for myself. I have a couple that need doing though nowhere as bad as this is, so it is a good test piece.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
I have been waiting for another to turn up for quite some time, but this has not happened, I don't always check Bruce's site so missed that one. I don't suppose he still has a picture of it?
It was in the "Sales Results" section... unfortunately it doesn't come up in the Images section. 

If you plan on displaying it, I would probably go ahead with the restoration.  You may lose a few bucks on it someday if you ever find a replacement, but when you spread that small amount over all the days you got to enjoy the poster on your wall it will probably be worth it. 

I ended up doing something similar with this VERY beat up East German Lavender Hill Mob.  The resto costs were probably more than the poster will ever be worth, but I've never seen another and I absolutely love the image.  I don't regret getting it restored one bit!

(and yes, it was completely torn in half... in addition to be totally shredded on the right side)

BEFORE

AFTER

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 04:48:00 AM »
I agree with Harry, if you like it and want to display it, then go for it.  But I wouldnt back it just to prepare it for sale.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Bulla

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 07:11:18 AM »
I vote for saving if you can afford it and are not worried about the potential value afterwards.

Some of the before and after pictures on http://www.vintagemovieart.ca are outstanding.

cinemarts

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 08:47:04 AM »
I don't know anyone in the UK - good, bad or indifferent.

Phil

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 08:59:56 AM »
I know Spartacus is having something backed in the UK right now... It's not done yet, but I assume he at least knows what options are available....

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 11:00:21 AM »
Here's a link I have bookmarked.  Never used his services, but at least it gives you a name to ask around about.

scartacus

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 05:53:49 PM »
As Harry says, I looked into the UK backing situation a month ago. Alain Bourguin at poster science is very well respected. I spoke to him about my poster but went with moviepostergallery's people in the end. Next week I should find out whether I made the right call and will post the results.

Bourguin was quoting me around £60 to back, £30-60 for acid bath and deacidifying -- I needed some replacement paper and art which he was quoting at £60 an hour.  The quote he gave me was a little open ended and I would recommend trying to nail down a firm quote if at all poss. 

This guy seems very reasonable on price but I haven't contacted him:

http://www.filmquadposters.co.uk/linenbacking.htm

Bruce

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
We only sold this that once, back in 2003. Our Poster Image Archive is complete from mid-2005 onward, and very spotty from before that.

But I spent the afternoon searching through old files on our computers and found the image of that one we sold in 2003.

I put it online here:

http://www.emovieposter.com/unused/british_quad_africa_screams.jpg

Bruce

Bruce

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 07:29:09 PM »
Note that the one we sold has some differences. It has much more color and a United Artists logo. That makes me wonder if yours might not be an early re-release (although I suppose it could be the other way around). I imagine some of the experts here will know which way it is.

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 11:56:35 PM »
Wow, way to go Bruce... now that is service right there!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 01:37:54 AM »
I believe there may be an Africa Screams US half sheet with better colors coming up in the next couple of auctions on movieposterbid.com  If interested, maybe contact Richard to confirm.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 12:23:21 PM »
Thanks for that Bruce. It usually is like you say, the more colourful one is the first release. I would be suprised if this was any differant. Though mine dose have the United Artists logo also. I am thinking mine must be early fiftys. 

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 01:03:39 AM »
When he says "save", eatbrie, I think Paul's asking whether to restore or not to restore. I don't think he's pondering whether to trash it. I'm a linen-as-last-resort type, myself, and agree with the above this baby needs it. I'd definitely send it in for resto with John or Dario. What a great piece.

I think that message came through.  Thierry was just offering to "trash" it for him; i.e., send it to a trash bin shaped approximately 27x41 that somewhat looks like a drawer in a metal flat file cabinet somewhere to dispose of it, likely located in the area of Greater Los Angeles.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 12:34:43 PM »
I think that message came through.  Thierry was just offering to "trash" it for him; i.e., send it to a trash bin shaped approximately 27x41 that somewhat looks like a drawer in a metal flat file cabinet somewhere to dispose of it, likely located in the area of Greater Los Angeles.

Yes, yes. Holiday, did leave one detail out to help anyone who might be looking for the place. It is located in a garage in the Greater LA area.  ;)

Chad

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »
As much as I am against linen backing I do think it has it's place. Really damaged posters that might never turn up again, or a total one only left in existance that needs to be preserved. I have had this Quad for some time hopeing to come across another, but I think this is never going to happen. So is this worth saving? I am sure it's from the first U.K. release in 1949. Any U.K. Abbott & Costello posters are quite rare anyway, so that alone is worth considering, But the big question is, how much will it cost to do? And how much will it be worth when done? Is a restored poster worth as much as a unrestored one? I don't think so. So any help/suggestions off you guy's will be greatfully received. 

Paul,

Did you ever end up having this one backed and/or lightly restored?

cheers

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »
Forgot all about this, No haven't had it done Jeff, it's in my to do pile....  I have a few draws with posters that need that special something.

I have not seen another for sale either....