Author Topic: Walk the Line ADV DS Fakes?  (Read 3234 times)

raulleaf

Walk the Line ADV DS Fakes?
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:51:18 PM »
There is a guy on ebay selling DS Walk the Line Adv for $9.99 Qty 4; Have you guys heard of any DS fakes for this poster?  What about hearing anything about this allpostersonline.com as a seller?  They look ok....

http://cgi.ebay.com/WALK-LINE-MOVIE-POSTER-ORIGINAL-DS-Johnny-Cash-/270691942413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f067f400d

raulleaf

Re: Walk the Line ADV DS Fakes?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 08:35:15 PM »
How about a size in general; after my episode with the Pulp Fiction and the Unforgiven I am starting to wonder if all my posters are fake.  I bought one of the DS Walk the Lines from this guy 6 months ago or so.  The Star Wars DS I bought from him had the water mark so I didn't think anything of it... Please don't tell me they fake that (the watermark) too...  I measured the WTL and it is 26.75 X 40 but is double sided...  Anyone have easy access to measure their known original...

Thanks,

I know as a newbie I may be bombarding the forum but I am literally losing sleep over this stuff.....  Maybe its the long weekend.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:55:15 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »
Get some rest - my DS is 26 13/16 x 39 3/4.  The font on the small text should be sharp and clear.  The reverse is an exact mirror image of the front - not lighter/whiter.  

I doubt there are any good DS fakes of this poster - it's a very popular poster but not particularly uncommon.

MoviePosterZone has rolls of many popular posters and the ones I've bought from him were legit.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:54:15 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »
-- and shipping them in PVC tubes!!  ;)

Why the ";)"?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 09:48:54 PM »
Because he/she is shipping in a way that will cause no worries about a crushed tube arriving in the mail.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:50:37 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

raulleaf

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 09:52:09 PM »
Ok, I see sleep in my future..  I double checked the measurements by pulling it completely out of my storage cabinet and sleeve, laying it flat and guess what, it is 39.75 X ~26.75 like Mel's.  The tape measure is not the best instrument for measuring posters; need to investigate a better option. The text is sharp and the reverse is the same not lighter than the front....   Whew...

Thanks Mel for taking the time to pull it out; I don't know how I can owe you one over the net but I do...

-Charlie    

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:55:42 PM »
Most times it's a matter of economy of scale in terms of reprinting a ds poster.  I've seen a few, but they are usually high dollar posters.  While that version of Walk the Line commanded a few bucks early on, it's not enough to be reprinted I don't think.  However, that was before Shepard Fairey was hugely famous, I think, so it may also be that there's more of a demand from that angle to warrant reprinting.  In the end, I trust Mel's analysis.

H
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 11:07:32 PM »
Most times it's a matter of economy of scale in terms of reprinting a ds poster.  I've seen a few, but they are usually high dollar posters.  While that version of Walk the Line commanded a few bucks early on, it's not enough to be reprinted I don't think.

Good call Holiday.  Lot of unnecessary paranoia about reprints around here IMHO.  It's just a matter of economics.  It takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money to make perfect, high-quality copies of posters, especially double-sided posters.  With so many cheap originals floating around for most posters, it's just not profitable to sell high-quality reprints.  However, it is profitable for a company like MovieGoods to pump out relatively low-quality, easily distinguishable reprints   (The president of MovieGoods admitted in testimony that MovieGoods pulls in $6 million annually.)  Anybody on this board can distinguish those reprints in seconds.  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:09:52 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 11:20:24 PM »
Holy fuck, it's time for us to start printing some posters.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »
Holy fuck, it's time for us to start printing some posters.

Most people do not care if it is an original poster or not. They love the movie and want the poster they saw up, and then look at an original for say 100 or a repro for 15, 90% of people buy the repro. Only us morons spend the money for the original paper.

That is what pisses me off about the ads, photo, canvas listing assholes in the original category, they kill the market because the common browser have no clue what they are looking for and buy the cheapest thing they see.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 11:33:07 PM »
Most people do not care if it is an original poster or not. They love the movie and want the poster they saw up, and then look at an original for say 100 or a repro for 15, 90% of people buy the repro. Only us morons spend the money for the original paper.

That is what pisses me off about the ads, photo, canvas listing assholes in the original category, they kill the market because the common browser have no clue what they are looking for and buy the cheapest thing they see.

Hey Dale, you sell a lot on Ebay.  Can you use your "influence" to get that junk out of the original categories? I've complained several times but nothing ever happens.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:33:30 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »