Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2857938 times)

Bruce

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #3425 on: October 13, 2012, 03:53:14 PM »
Even though the stuff was marketed as poorly as possible, with dreadful photos, it was sure to do great. Previously unseen items in mint condition.

It was like selling some guaranteed original Rembrandts at a country auction.

At those prices I don't expect to see them re-auctioned, but what do I know?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3426 on: October 13, 2012, 08:32:59 PM »
Wow - original release Wizard of Oz one sheets sure do suck in terms of graphic appeal.  Kinda reminds me of Citizen Kane (RKO had no idea how to market it)...
Chris

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #3427 on: October 14, 2012, 01:42:33 PM »
Yesterday I had a chance to attend the worst-kept secret auction in the hobby the past month. It was one of the strangest (and longest) auctions I have been to since the discovery of the amazing Latrobe collection back in 2003 (where the style C Bride of Frankenstein featured in the Kirk Hammett thread originated).
What was not known by most people is that this was actually the second time this collection was scheduled to be auctioned.  The original auction was scheduled back in August (see flyer below) and it was pulled by the heirs literally a day before the auction and given to the current auction company.

Yesterday's auction company actually did a mediocre job in getting the word out (the auction was the talk of the French poster fair a couple of weeks ago), but of course when you have a group of around 35 posters and nearly half of them are unique or only second examples known it doesn't take a lot to bring the high bids out. The auction was fairly well attended, though I suspect mostly by area antique dealers. Any thoughts of their being great bargains to be had for the day were dampened about 30 minutes before the auctioneer even got to the movie posters when a piece of original art by James Montgomery Flagg which several art people had suggested to be might bring around $1500 at auction hammered at $4000. It was the beginning of what was to be a familiar theme throughout the day.
The first actual movie poster up was the Hirschfeld style Wizard of Oz one-sheet.  Before yesterday, most people would peg this poster's retail price as being somewhere in the $12-18K range, but it has been several years since one was available at public auction and the bidding for it went bonkers before settling at $59,000 (not counting 10% buyer's premium).  This poster and the better style Oz (which hammered at $72,500) were both bought by the same collector/dealer with one of them already having been resold for an even higher price.
Next up was a never-before-seen style one-sheet for Mutiny on the Bounty (and in my opinion much better than the more familiar style) which closed at $4500 and then a few lots later the lesser style one-sheet for Tarzan and His Mate brought $15,000 - almost double it's previous auction high.

Not everything set a record or seemed to be crazy high (though when it's the first time an item has ever sold, I guess it is automatically a record).
A 3-sheet for the Good Earth closed at $1200, immediately after the one-sheet had just closed for $2700, and absolutely beautiful 3-sheet for Trader Horn closed at "only" $7000.

There were several very nice stone-litho posters promoting MGM's famous Leo the Lion doing an appearance tour which I had never even heard of before.  Even those these tours were obviously giant publicity machines at the time, one of the photo albums contained some shots of the tour's stop in New Orleans in 1929 and it literally looked like Times Square on New Year's Eve with thousands and thousands of people crowded around the MGM wagon to get a look at Leo.

The last half of the auction had only the second 1-sheet ever to turn up for 1932's Tarzan The Ape Man and I was amazed at how deep and rich the colors were - absolutely beautiful, but perhaps the best Tarzan poster of the day was the never before seen 3-sheet from Tarzan & His Mate which had a fantastic portrait of Tarzan and Jane.

I believe that a majority of the posters were purchased by dealers (something that tends to happen many times when buyers find out about high-ticket items only a few weeks before they are sold and have to actually pay for them the day of the auction) and while many will be sold via private sale over the upcoming months, I am sure we will see a few resurface from more high-profile auction houses.

I took a couple of quick pics of the two highest priced items to share with you guys (and so you can see how everything was paraded around outside before and during the sale).

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3428 on: October 14, 2012, 02:15:21 PM »
Thanks for that back story and the 2 more candid shots of the OZ posters, Sean. Looked to be a very casual atmosphere, too.

That SEQUOIA poster on the ground, behind the guy holding the OZ poster, also looked to be amazingly vivid and in great shape, too!   thumbup

It just goes to show that hidden rarities are still out there, waiting to be re-discovered.

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3429 on: October 14, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »
"This poster and the better style Oz (which hammered at $72,500) were both bought by the same collector/dealer with one of them already having been resold for an even higher price."

My bet is that the Style D has been resold.  I thought it would go for more and I'm sure it would have in a more prominent auction.

BTW Bruce sold a LB Style C one sheet for $4,620 in 1991 ($7,814 with 2012 inflation adjustment.)

I think the 3S (Style A) is the best of the WOZ US posters:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:28:13 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Bruce

« Reply #3430 on: October 14, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »
I also auctioned that Oz three sheet. The original buyer still has it, and I am not aware of another one.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3431 on: October 14, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »
Thanks for the on the ground reporting Sean - great insight into the auction
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3432 on: October 14, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
 These are truly stunning. Thanks again, for the info, Sean.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3433 on: October 14, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »
Sean, do you know what this OZ item went for?

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3434 on: October 14, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »
While not posters, these pieces/facade panels of Leo the Lion's "touring cage" were also placed for bid at this same auction. Talk about iconic pieces from the golden era of MGM! These are AMAZING! clap clap

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:34:30 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #3435 on: October 14, 2012, 03:59:50 PM »
The Salome poster was a reproduction. It was not part of Phifer's estate and was just a reproduction that Phifer's sister-in-law had in the house.
Really loved that Eskimo poster with the sunburst, was hoping to pick it up for $1500 or less, but I dropped out at $2000.

The Wizard of Oz "poster" you ask about was mind-boggling.  It was a home-made sign, text on a piece of cardboard and they cut out part of the pressbook cover and glued it to the center.
The one you pictured I want to say sold for $2500, they had a second copy in even worse shape and it sold for $2600.
I was really shaking my head at those sales.

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #3436 on: October 14, 2012, 08:53:33 PM »
I find the Wizard of Oz posters butt ugly, but Trader Horn and Eskimo... those are amazing!
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Charlie

« Reply #3437 on: October 14, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »

Now that is just Awesome!!!  How much did this go for???

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3438 on: October 14, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »

Yes, thanks for the blow by blow Sean.  Must have been wild to attend.  As for your pics... those are hilarious!  It looks like a guy holding a sandwich board.  And the ear buds... Classic.  Looks like one of the guys dancing outside the "we buy gold" stores!  

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3439 on: October 14, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »
This WIZ OF OZ piece was auctioned in 2009, in New Jersey and went for a high bid of $16,000.00. The expression on the Lion's face is perfect, too:

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3440 on: October 14, 2012, 11:28:59 PM »
I find the Wizard of Oz posters butt ugly, but Trader Horn and Eskimo... those are amazing!

Yet another reason for me to like my Argentine brotha!
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3441 on: October 14, 2012, 11:29:56 PM »
And I agree those Leo the Lion signs are very cool
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3442 on: October 14, 2012, 11:31:48 PM »
Great post, Sean.  thumbup

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #3443 on: October 15, 2012, 01:33:51 AM »
Yet another reason for me to like my Argentine brotha!

We cool people know what's good  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3444 on: October 15, 2012, 07:40:30 AM »

That is either a dummy in the window with half size arms, or I am a dummy

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3445 on: October 15, 2012, 08:01:32 AM »
Don't be rude to Sean's girlfriend.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3446 on: October 15, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »

I think it's Zelda Rubinstein, back from the dead...

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #3447 on: October 15, 2012, 09:45:58 AM »

That is a Laughin Sal doll.
Billed as "The most amazing fun house attraction in history"

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3448 on: October 15, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »
Rich would be all over that in a heartbeat.
 wynk

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3449 on: October 15, 2012, 02:12:45 PM »
I was all over teh model Ted.. and she really did just have one leg

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------