Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2863304 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1225 on: July 27, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
It seems a bit funny to me ...
... If this guy was simply wanting to show off, then it would be cheaper in the long run to create his own website and do it that way.

On a personal note, I wonder how much he actually spent on his collection?
I never like to see people state such information (for whole collections or monthly spends etc), but for him I will make a rare exception.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #1226 on: July 27, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
Its a guy that uses ebay to show off his collection.  All offers for it are auto rejected.  Its a complete waste of time, and he comes across as a pompous asshole in the process.

It would be amusing if he actually had anything worth showing off (like when Todd uses eBay to list his Bride of Frankenstein one-sheet).
Why would anyone want to "show off" what he is trying to sell?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1227 on: July 27, 2011, 10:10:14 PM »
Slightly crinkled Barbarella commercial poster (29x43) went for $400 tonight:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:10:34 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1228 on: July 27, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
???

wow1
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1229 on: July 27, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »
I think sometimes you guys don't understand why people buy things

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1230 on: July 27, 2011, 10:46:50 PM »
Is that a platyeagle?
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1231 on: July 27, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »
I LIKE that Barbarella poster.  $400 was just too rich for me....

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1232 on: July 27, 2011, 11:30:54 PM »
I think sometimes you guys don't understand why people buy things

bed1
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #1233 on: July 28, 2011, 01:00:54 AM »
Buyer probably had it on his wall as a teenager.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1234 on: July 29, 2011, 08:48:01 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150635969978&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

I missed out on this mylar star wars poster.  I was the last non-winning bid.  Not too disappointed though, I have a couple of more posters in my auction sites before my official hiatus until November takes effect.   ;D

Brian

"Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1235 on: July 29, 2011, 09:16:36 PM »
   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150635969978&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT
   I missed out on this mylar star wars poster.  I was the last non-winning bid.  Not too disappointed though, I have a couple of more posters in my auction sites before my official hiatus until November takes effect.   ;D
  Brian

brian, while I certainly understand the rarity of this poster, it is highly recommeneded that you wait for a copy in better condition than this one as this one is mightily ferqed up.
Just be patient and wait for the right one.. It will happen. You get one like thios and all you want to do is replace it because you can't even frame it

did you like the PF's??

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

raulleaf

« Reply #1236 on: July 29, 2011, 09:23:28 PM »
brian, while I certainly understand the rarity of this poster, it is highly recommeneded that you wait for a copy in better condition than this one as this one is mightily ferqed up.
Just be patient and wait for the right one.. It will happen. You get one like thios and all you want to do is replace it because you can't even frame it

did you like the PF's??

You are so right.  I feel this exact way after buying a piece of crap or not having the patience to wait for a rolled copy... 

Ditto to your statement...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1237 on: July 29, 2011, 09:24:06 PM »
I have a couple of more posters in my auction sites before my official hiatus until November takes effect. 

Hiatus?  You just get here homey!  If you successfully go on long-term hiatus, you're a better man than me.  I've gone on "hiatus" hundreds of times, which usually last a day or so :)

raulleaf

« Reply #1238 on: July 29, 2011, 09:26:37 PM »
Hiatus?  You just get here homey!  If you successfully go on long-term hiatus, you're a better man than me.  I've gone on "hiatus" hundreds of times, which usually last a day or so :)

Going on 8 days now and then I got fucked over.  Would have bought that Kwai RR quad and the Paint Your Wagon quad that completed a few days back...  Discipline at my peak; no good deed goes unpunished.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1239 on: July 29, 2011, 09:29:50 PM »
I'm on hiatus in-between each new purchase

mesmrized

-------

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #1240 on: July 29, 2011, 09:56:35 PM »
did you like the PF's??

You said that you sent me a tube of cheese puffs instead.  So, I was just going to wait until I got really hungry to open it up.

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1241 on: July 29, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »
Someone said cheese?
My Personal Collection

raulleaf

« Reply #1242 on: July 29, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
Someone said cheese?

I wonder what Brie puffs would taste like?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1243 on: July 29, 2011, 10:43:14 PM »
I wonder what Brie puffs would taste like?

my guess: brie puffs

wynk

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1244 on: August 06, 2011, 07:00:31 PM »
This one just sold for $225.  I was the under-bidder at $200.  It is faded, so I'm sure it's not worth nearly as much as the one that sold at HA... but that one sold for almost $6000!

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9608083

The un-faded one from HA recent sale...

Bruce

« Reply #1245 on: August 06, 2011, 08:58:59 PM »
You can't fix fading except to "dip it in paint". But there are some restorers who will oblige, and some auctions that will describe the finished product as "very fine" and I imagine that well may be the fate of this card.

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1246 on: August 06, 2011, 09:33:56 PM »
I realize that Bruce and, had I won, I had no intention of 'repainting' it. But surely it would still be desirable given how rare it must be?  I assumed the low price was more due to the (lack of) exposure for the auction.

Had you sold this card as is in one of your mini/majors, what do you think it would have sold for?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1247 on: August 07, 2011, 01:10:32 AM »
I really don't think "fading" explains all the differences betwen the cards.  The red lettering at the top is still red on both despite the alleged fading - but the pink and orange are completely gone?  Not to mention "Cleopatra" is grey (I suppose the paper could have darkened. I think it might be a separate printing.

Regardless, it is still a nice poster (even if I am Egypt-biased ;) )
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1248 on: August 07, 2011, 07:02:25 AM »
Does Orange turn to yellow when it fades, and that evenly... I'm not so sure. Red is the first colour to fade out of all the colours. I'm tending to agree with Chris, this maybe a different printing, or one of the posters may have been taken with a flash or some kind of better lighting set up. I know it makes a huge difference to the colours on my cheap camera, and that's just with or without the flash on. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #1249 on: August 07, 2011, 07:35:29 AM »
It is almost surely NOT from a different printing. Notice the exact same theater info. A bunch of these were found many years ago in a stack. The framed one may have been on top of the stack and received the most dirt. I would have to see it out of the frame (and a good picture) to see to what extent it could possibly be "cleaned". It is not impossible that it would look pretty good after "cleaning", but it would not look like it originally did, without being "dipped in paint".

I have seen items that were massively "worked over" that have been described as just having had a "good cleaning". Remember that auctioneers and sellers often try to present something "in the best possible light", which sometimes can involve bending the truth.

Bruce