Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838094 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10900 on: July 12, 2023, 03:21:39 AM »
I don't think it's much of a challenge to be honest.  These posters are everywhere and should not cost a quarter of what they sell for. 

The only rare one I own is the Thai.  It took me 10 years, money and a lot of arm twisting to get.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #10901 on: July 12, 2023, 05:11:51 AM »

It's funny, I'm vacationing throughout Europe for a month with my family and I just realized how impossible it is to bid on anything from there.  I mean, HA and Emovie are at 2am!!!  I like posters, but I like my sleep way more.  I had a lot of posters I wanted to bid on from Bruce on Tuesday and realized it is impossible.  It really sucks from here.

T

I completely agree. Auction schedules are horrible for someone who lives in France like me. That's why I unfortunately no longer bid on eMovie because it's clearly in the middle of the night.
Slightly more luck on the HA signature auctions (and the last Propstore US) which start earlier, and I can watch three quarters, until midnight local time.

It's really a shame, but that's the way it is.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10902 on: July 12, 2023, 10:19:12 AM »
I completely agree. Auction schedules are horrible for someone who lives in France like me. That's why I unfortunately no longer bid on eMovie because it's clearly in the middle of the night.

That just makes no sense to me. You know you can place a bid before the middle of the night, don't you?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10903 on: July 12, 2023, 12:24:46 PM »
This book made to convince financial backers to invest in Alejandro Jodorowsky's movie adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune last sold at Christie's in November 2021 for $2,900,000.  The same copy was just auctioned off at Heritage for only $90,625 (BP included).
https://historical.ha.com/itm/books/science-fiction-and-fantasy/-frank-herbert-alejandro-jodorowsky-dune-suresnes-aviaplans-ateliers-industriels-de-reprographie-no-date/a/6275-42064.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

I remember when it sold at Christies, there were a few places online where you could look through the pages, but they seem to have gone unfortunately, although there is a nice video on YouTube. It'd be great if it one day made it into a big Taschen style art book for general sale.

YouTube Vid:

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10904 on: July 12, 2023, 02:08:53 PM »
That just makes no sense to me. You know you can place a bid before the middle of the night, don't you?

Because some people (like me) like to either use a sniping program (no time added, you win or you lose, the end) or control the situation in person should some jerk overbid them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10905 on: July 12, 2023, 04:55:29 PM »
zero chance that book sold to a new buyer

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10906 on: July 12, 2023, 05:06:33 PM »
That's why I unfortunately no longer bid on eMovie because it's clearly in the middle of the night.

sunday?
admittedly it is bulk crap!
but weirdly sigauctions now take place on sunday only (which is great!)

now that emp now has so many auctions ending midweek means it is difficult for euro people for a number of reasons - later auction finish being main one

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #10907 on: July 12, 2023, 09:43:25 PM »
Just my own personal thoughts on the conversations here:

-Back To The Future: It's ridiculous. The poster itself is extremely common and shows up in every auction ever. Many, many copies available on eBay and other sites. There's zero reason for it to be that expensive. Now it seems every other seller is hopping on that bandwagon and trying to sell it for $1k+...it's a shame because I'll likely never have a chance to own one now. I'll just have to stick to my video posters for 2 and 2. Great films, love them, but I'm not going to go broke paying that much for common posters.

-eMoviePoster: The Sunday auctions I am personally not a fan of when they end. I work Sundays and my schedule used to allow me to be off on time to bid then. Now I'm working later so I can't check on the auctions while I'm at work and they are ending. In the last set I had my eye on a few nice bulk lots that I really wanted. Put my highest bid thinking I'd be safe...only to lose on most of them by the next minimum bid. If they had ended at 7PM like the Tuesday/Thursday auctions I'd be safe and would have been able to continue bidding as long as I felt comfortable. I WILL give them credit for that though. I LOVE the extensions that prevent sniping and go on as long as the bidders want. I've always been annoyed by snipes on eBay when I would have gone higher if I had the opportunity.

Of course, everyone's thoughts on these discussions are totally video even if they conflict with anything I might say. It's interesting reading everyone's thoughts on the matter.  :)

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #10908 on: July 17, 2023, 11:24:23 AM »

I'm really curious to know what percentage of people actually win an auction without being present?
I don't think this happens very often? Except maybe put a bid so extravagant that no one wants to outbid?

To this, will be added the shipping costs, so it's difficult to play this on items under $500 I think.

And then, to this is added the excitement of following an auction  ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10909 on: July 17, 2023, 11:32:45 AM »
I guess you cannot please everyone around the globe.  It's so easy when you're in the US.  I usually check Bruce's auction the day before the actual auction but did it a week prior this time around because I didn't know what kind of internet connection I was going to get in Spain and in France, I had my little list ready and then completely gave up when I realized the auction started at 2am (versus 5pm in California).  He would have had to have an amazing poster for me to get up.  So I feel your pain.

T
My Personal Collection

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10910 on: July 17, 2023, 01:13:07 PM »
I am always by my computer/phone as an auction closes and as a UK resident have long been accustomed to waking myself up at 2.00 or 3.00 am to bid and/or curse the extended bidding. I have no complaints as of course Bruce has to give priority to his largest (US) customer base. Sunday is more relaxed but I don't like bulk lots!

Mark

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10911 on: July 17, 2023, 05:27:11 PM »
Sunday is more relaxed but I don't like bulk lots!

1000% agreed.  I have never bought a single one and never will.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10912 on: August 04, 2023, 04:59:04 PM »
I mean, good for Bruce, but I really think this Star Wars craze is a bit out of control.

Really????

T
My Personal Collection

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #10913 on: August 04, 2023, 07:41:12 PM »
I mean, good for Bruce, but I really think this Star Wars craze is a bit out of control.

Really????

T

If I had had buyers premiums, I would have gotten 20% more!
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10914 on: August 04, 2023, 10:20:38 PM »
You're SO good, Bruce!!!  Such a savvy businessman.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10915 on: August 25, 2023, 02:47:27 PM »
These 2 Apocalypse Now Japanese B0s sold for about $1,800 each.  Seems like these don't appear often, especially the one with Mr. Brando.
 Not perfect condition but pretty good - a little foxing, a small tear, and a little handling and edge wear on each of them.

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #10916 on: August 25, 2023, 06:49:28 PM »
The helicopter one seems to be really common, but the Brando one is SUPER rare. I remember Matt had one...

I really dig them both!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10917 on: August 25, 2023, 08:33:49 PM »
I have been looking for these 2 for a long time but I will never spend that kind of money on them.  Maybe one day or never.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10918 on: August 25, 2023, 09:46:02 PM »
The helicopter one seems to be really common, but the Brando one is SUPER rare. I remember Matt had one...

I really dig them both!

The helicopter version used to appear more often but the last few years not many have appeared at the usual places.  At emovie, the last 2 sold in 2022 and 2019 and the next most recent one sold in 2012.  Between 2000ish and 2012 there were 17 sales there.  The version with Mr. Brando has only sold once at emovie, in 2013; maybe that was Matt's.  They're both probably stunning in person.

I mentioned the helicopter version in another thread a while ago, when a framed one was in a home in the film The Canyons.  A cool movie imo. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 09:47:23 PM by Neo »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10919 on: August 25, 2023, 09:52:15 PM »
I have been looking for these 2 for a long time but I will never spend that kind of money on them.  Maybe one day or never.

T

I think these 2 recent sales' price point may be about the least they'll go for in the foreseeable future.  There was a really damaged one that was the Mr. Brando version at eBay several years ago that sold for $750.  There have also been a couple very damaged ones of the helicopter version that have sold higher than that.  Considering how famous the movie, director, actors, etc. are, and how beauteous the artwork is, I think they're two of the best of relatively modern times.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 09:54:41 PM by Neo »

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #10920 on: August 25, 2023, 11:17:45 PM »
Interesting take on these - I never got excited about these for some reason. I remember Matt getting his restored. The German art is still the best IMO - hell even Mondo ripped it off. There was a new print released recently by Ignacio Roberto that was the best I’ve seen in a long time.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10921 on: August 26, 2023, 08:13:37 AM »
Here's my Brando style BO.

Mark

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10922 on: August 27, 2023, 02:32:43 PM »
Interesting take on these - I never got excited about these for some reason. I remember Matt getting his restored. The German art is still the best IMO - hell even Mondo ripped it off. There was a new print released recently by Ignacio Roberto that was the best I’ve seen in a long time.

There some good parts of the print by Ignacio Roberto; overall it's not my style, but to each their own, of course.

I figured you'd appreciate the artwork on the helicopters version - "Charlie don't surf!"  happy1 

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10923 on: August 27, 2023, 02:33:34 PM »
Here's my Brando style BO.

Nice.  Looks like it's in great condition.  cool1

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10924 on: August 27, 2023, 02:42:31 PM »

I forgot to bid on this one, that sold for $178, not that it would have made a difference in the final price.  faint2.gif  However, it's the only B1 I've seen, very cool design, and movie, and probably very few of these out there. 

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 03:03:11 PM by Neo »