Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2858132 times)

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10950 on: September 30, 2023, 01:50:25 PM »
LOL - so you had to go back a decade to find a "usual" example?  faint2.gif
No wonder I don't remember it, but thanks for the reminder.

imbecile.gif
You asked me to find an example so I searched for 2 seconds and found one.  You can reread all your posts if you want to.  starz.gif

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10951 on: September 30, 2023, 07:39:52 PM »
Here's another pro-Bruce post prediction: EMovie's Halloween auction results will smoke the genre results from Heritage today.
Whether you measure it same item for same item, or just similars, Emovie will fare significantly better when you compare the results this time next month.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #10952 on: September 30, 2023, 09:12:28 PM »
Is it me, or did HA seem to have a weak auction today? Prices seemed to be on the lower end for almost everything, besides a few items.

It’s a Wonderful Life one sheet went for $28,000 in April this year… went for $9,900 today.
Metropolis lobby cards didn’t even sell. No bids.
My Man Godfrey went for over $80k last year. $24k today.

Tons of lower end stuff as well sold for far below the estimate.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10953 on: September 30, 2023, 11:25:56 PM »
Is it me, or did HA seem to have a weak auction today? Prices seemed to be on the lower end for almost everything, besides a few items.

It’s a Wonderful Life one sheet went for $28,000 in April this year… went for $9,900 today.
Metropolis lobby cards didn’t even sell. No bids.
My Man Godfrey went for over $80k last year. $24k today.

Tons of lower end stuff as well sold for far below the estimate.

When you have a bunch of frankenposters, high reserves, and high buyer's premiums these can be the results.
Compare the My Man Godfrey posters and the difference between the one this year and last is night and day. The Metropolis cards were mainly recreations from the partial pieces that were sold on ebay a few years back, and the Wonderful Life was very faded.
I think the overall restored feel of the auction carried over to the few pieces that weren't, it almost felt like I was looking at a Hollywood Poster Auction catalog when I looked at close-ups or read descriptions. Pretty much every time I was tempted to bid, reading the description of the items put a quick stop to it.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10954 on: October 01, 2023, 12:54:26 AM »
I bid weakly on a few items, though was worried there was more restoration on some of them after looking at the pictures more closely. Okie

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10955 on: October 01, 2023, 12:43:03 PM »
I agree with the general sentiment here: I was going to bid on the Cat People 3-sheet but decided against it once I read the description and realized how much restoration it had received. 

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #10956 on: October 01, 2023, 01:38:31 PM »
I agree with the general sentiment here: I was going to bid on the Cat People 3-sheet but decided against it once I read the description and realized how much restoration it had received.

I thought that poster was super cool too!

Until I saw the entire bottom panel was recreated.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10957 on: October 01, 2023, 02:13:41 PM »
They make a lot of errors in their listings (I had to send them 3 emails about 3 lots so were just so obviously wrong), their estimates are completely random and based on nothing that I can see, and then there is this gargantuan profit they make.  What is it, 35% between seller and buyer?  All of this put together probably reduces the amount of goodwill potential buyers may have towards their sales.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10958 on: October 01, 2023, 04:50:53 PM »
I do find it amusing how many people are concerned for Heritage's poor consignors and what they are actually receiving. Of course, of major auction houses Heritage actually has one of the lower rates (certainly lower than Sotheby's or Christie's), but we are used to hearing that poster consignors should have lower commissions.

I think reserves are the biggest turn offs to potential bidding, and Bruce has wisely publicly avoided using them.
But if you have nice items, the bidders will come. This auction featured far too many painted items disguised as actual posters for people to have much interest.
It does seem a lot of the newer (and unrestored) items did well or at least okay.

www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10959 on: October 01, 2023, 05:59:08 PM »
Honestly, I'm the last person in the world to worry about what consignors receive.  I don't sell, remember?  But if I did sell, I would never sell at HA because charging $29 on a $1 item is beyond ridiculous.  Plus I'm sure they get something out of that $1.  So the seller gets $.75 and HA gets $29.25?  Insanity.  It should be gradual.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10960 on: October 01, 2023, 09:41:27 PM »
Yes, and just like Bruce, they are actively discouraging people from sending them $1 items - and if you have $1 items, you shouldn't be trying to consign to them in the first place. Charging a ridiculous premium at the lower level is one way to discourage such things.

We know from Bruce that he loses money on any item that he sells for less than $20, Heritage has most likely decided that level for them is $30 and so they make sure they don't lose money on anything that actually sells (can't say I blame them). Looking at today's signature auction, somehow they still did 1.5 million, on over 800 sold lots, so the $29 minimum just really doesn't enter into anything at that point.

Like you, I'm not looking to monetize my collection. But if I did, it would be silly to to exclude Heritage because they charge a minimum that wouldn't even apply to a majority of what I would be selling. Most likely a combination of Bruce and another venue like Heritage (maybe even Propstore for high end now?) would garner your best results. Each does some things better than the other.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10961 on: October 03, 2023, 10:55:41 AM »
This auction ended at $515. 

I wonder what effect the season has on some sales - the spooky, Halloween season for this genre, of course.

I really like the colors and style of this UK video poster for Friday the 13th.  The bids have been going up rapidly and still almost 5 days left in the auction.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/256231223290

« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 01:22:46 PM by Neo »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10962 on: October 03, 2023, 01:32:57 PM »
Here's an interesting comparison (NEO don't read this one, as it is a positive about Emovie).

Heritage sold a copy of This Gun For Hire for $10,200 in their just completed sale
(https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/film-noir/this-gun-for-hire-paramount-1942-fine-on-linen-one-sheet-27-x-41-/a/7329-86093.s?)

While Bruce sold a very similar looking/described copy in their August sale for $9,760
(https://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/10738906.html)

Now usually you would expect me to pronounce winner Heritage at this point, but since we are all concerned about what the consignor received because of Heritage's evil buyers premium, that is where we get to see the real bottom line.

At $9,760 Bruce takes an angelic 16% of the sales price resulting in a net of $8,194.60 for the seller, while over at satan's workshop Heritage, they will keep 15% of the hammer price of $8500 resulting in a net of $7,225

So kudos to Bruce for giving their consignor over $950 more than Heritage for the sale of this iconic poster.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10963 on: October 03, 2023, 01:52:51 PM »
Here's an interesting comparison (NEO don't read this one, as it is a positive about Emovie).

I read it.  Shout-out to you for giving commendations where they're deserved, even with the extra little remarks thrown in there. 

Regarding your other post bout how every auction has its pros and cons, I agree.  If I really wanted to try to achieve the highest possible result, I may also look into auctioning something where a reserve - hidden or stated, potential post-auction "sale" deal, etc. could be set.  Different styles and all are good to drive competition.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 03:07:26 PM by Neo »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10964 on: October 03, 2023, 03:18:31 PM »
This auction ended at $515. 

I wonder what effect the season has on some sales - the spooky, Halloween season for this genre, of course.

There were two sellers with bid retractions mid way through. It went back down, then went back up.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10965 on: October 03, 2023, 04:17:19 PM »
There were two sellers with bid retractions mid way through. It went back down, then went back up.

Yeah I saw the first retraction after I posted in the mid-auctions thread, when it dropped $100 or so.  What do you think about the final sale price?  I think it's a solid deal, all things considered.  These don't seem to appear too often.  Also, an appropriate year for the sale, as one of the two Friday the 13ths this year is in October.  cool1

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10966 on: October 03, 2023, 05:02:50 PM »
This is crazy money, imo.  Especially since the UK quad and the US Intl. sell for much less and are way nicer, also imo of course.  Granted, they are both easy to get, but still...

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10967 on: October 03, 2023, 05:20:16 PM »
This is crazy money, imo.  Especially since the UK quad and the US Intl. sell for much less and are way nicer, also imo of course. 

yeah, but for a certain group, this is the image they grew up with - going to the video store and seeing the poster there. It hits just the right nostalgia buttons and is rare enough to keep climbing.

We are definitely seeing a trend of focus towards the 80s/90s and newer pieces and movement away from the 50s/60s or older pieces. The low results of This Gun For Hire are just one sample point in that trend. Look at the price now for a Pulp Fiction Lucky Strikes. Last copy sold for over $7500 and we've talked here extensively about Sleepaway Camp, which I'm guessing is one of the key pieces for 80s slasher folks.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10968 on: October 03, 2023, 06:45:31 PM »
Yeah I saw the first retraction after I posted in the mid-auctions thread, when it dropped $100 or so.  What do you think about the final sale price?  I think it's a solid deal, all things considered.  These don't seem to appear too often.  Also, an appropriate year for the sale, as one of the two Friday the 13ths this year is in October.  cool1

Like T said, the others have better image, I guess the rarity on this one sold it.
I’m just a bit bitter since I sold the Friday the 13th quad last month and now regret it.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10969 on: October 03, 2023, 09:30:30 PM »
yeah, but for a certain group, this is the image they grew up with - going to the video store and seeing the poster there. It hits just the right nostalgia buttons and is rare enough to keep climbing.

We are definitely seeing a trend of focus towards the 80s/90s and newer pieces and movement away from the 50s/60s or older pieces. The low results of This Gun For Hire are just one sample point in that trend. Look at the price now for a Pulp Fiction Lucky Strikes. Last copy sold for over $7500 and we've talked here extensively about Sleepaway Camp, which I'm guessing is one of the key pieces for 80s slasher folks.

Point taken.  I didn't grow up in the US, so it means nothing to me, but you're right.

$7,500 for a Pulp Fiction???  I missed that one.  Way back in time, they used to call me the Poster Price Police.  I took it as a badge of honor coming from some folks who were blatantly selling stuff for 10x what they were worth and misleading newbies (I think I called it rape, which hindsight was obviously wrong).  But this is the market talking, and I guess their BS has caught up.  Crazy.

And yeah, the 80s are one fire.  I own quite a few pieces from the era and I'm so glad I got them before it blew up.  I couldn't/wouldn't do it today.

T
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 09:32:25 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10970 on: October 03, 2023, 09:33:58 PM »
I’m just a bit bitter since I sold the Friday the 13th quad last month and now regret it.

Do not sell your best pieces.  Glad you kept that Night of the Living Dead quad.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10971 on: October 03, 2023, 10:49:07 PM »
Like T said, the others have better image, I guess the rarity on this one sold it.

Yeah I think the rarity is a key factor.  The UK artwork is also really outstanding IMO.  Most, if not all, of the other artworks for the series are a little too much gore for me, with the bloody knives, etc., but I can see how folks would remember seeing those video cover styles growing up and all.

Selling stuff is difficult sometimes.  A few things I wish I hadn't sold, but then I realize I could probably acquire another someday, although  given the current trends, any time in the relatively near future probably at a higher price.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10972 on: October 24, 2023, 02:44:50 PM »
A fun one for the Halloween season.  Video poster for The Fog (1985).  I don't know if it's extremely rare but it seems to be much less common than other formats.  This one appears to be in excellent condition, and I thought the price may have gone higher, but it was a pretty good deal IMO:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10973 on: October 24, 2023, 10:56:35 PM »
Congrats Antoine!  Nice buy!!!

And does anyone know who this Rockelance character is?  Is he a dealer?  He seems to be buying the same stuff over and over regardless of condition, which to me screams dealer.  Just wondering.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10974 on: October 25, 2023, 08:17:53 AM »
[quote author=eatbrie link=topic=237.msg253237#msg253237 date=1698202595

And does anyone know who this Rockelance character is?  Is he a dealer?  He seems to be buying the same stuff over and over regardless of condition, which to me screams dealer.  Just wondering.

T
[/quote]
this rings a bell...
likes to play games by bidding right at last second again and again?
tosser!
(apologies if i am mistaken)