Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837937 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10575 on: February 04, 2021, 08:53:06 PM »
I am truly amazed at what lobby cards sell for nowadays.  They used to be so cheap.  Had I known that, I would have bought more when I had a chance.  Now they're just out of control.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10576 on: February 04, 2021, 09:00:22 PM »
I am truly amazed at what lobby cards sell for nowadays.  They used to be so cheap.  Had I known that, I would have bought more when I had a chance.  Now they're just out of control.

T

All movie paper has gotten out of control price-wise. Posters I used to get for $10-$25 are now $50-$200. Those that were more pricey ($100 or so) now go for more than $1,000. Insane! Lobbies I remember being $5 each. Those days are long gone. I missed out on buying so many great things by NOT buying earlier.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10577 on: February 04, 2021, 10:47:13 PM »
It's hard for me because I only collect FULL sets WITHOUT pinholes.  I hate pinholes on lobbies.  So it limits my reach.  Whatever is left goes for way beyond what it's worth.  Sometimes I catch myself overbidding, because a set is needed for a sub collection, something that did not happen in the past.  Booooo!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10578 on: February 14, 2021, 01:35:05 AM »
All movie paper has gotten out of control price-wise. Posters I used to get for $10-$25 are now $50-$200. Those that were more pricey ($100 or so) now go for more than $1,000. Insane! Lobbies I remember being $5 each. Those days are long gone. I missed out on buying so many great things by NOT buying earlier.

The odd antique shop and flea market still turn up bargains now and then depending on what you like. At an antique store in Alabama in November, I found a pretty rare Tom Mix lc in nice condition from his first talking picture. Price was $25.  I was very happy.  Okie

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10579 on: February 14, 2021, 02:11:15 AM »
Ooooo good for you, Okie! Great deal.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10580 on: March 23, 2021, 01:50:47 PM »

^consignor loses 1K+ due to not knowing what the sun does and the winning bidder has more money than sense. only winner here is bruce

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10581 on: March 24, 2021, 05:04:45 AM »
Grief!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10582 on: March 27, 2021, 09:20:38 PM »
Yep, just like I thought...  My kids' baseball game prevented me from bidding on most of what I wanted.  Saturdays are so challenging for parents.  Got two things.  What about you guys?  Antoine, did you get something good?  I know it was all linenbacked and you have it in horror like I do, but sometimes we must make concessions.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10583 on: March 27, 2021, 11:00:45 PM »
Yep, just like I thought...  My kids' baseball game prevented me from bidding on most of what I wanted. 

No it didn't.
Your decision not to leave proxy bids kept you from getting things you wanted.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10584 on: March 28, 2021, 04:03:58 AM »
I'm sure it's very convenient to some but this is not how I bid.  At Emovie, I always bid at the 5mn mark; at HA, I bid in person when the item is up for grab or not at all.  It obviously has its limitations, I wish I could have bid on more today, especially on two items that went way way lower than what I would have bid, but so be it.  Being there is part of the experience.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10585 on: March 28, 2021, 10:12:32 AM »
I'm sure it's very convenient to some but this is not how I bid.  At Emovie, I always bid at the 5mn mark; at HA, I bid in person when the item is up for grab or not at all.  It obviously has its limitations, I wish I could have bid on more today, especially on two items that went way way lower than what I would have bid, but so be it.  Being there is part of the experience.

T

I've seen 'eatbrie' listed as high bidder on several EMP auctions days before they end.  ;)
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10586 on: March 28, 2021, 10:50:21 AM »
I've seen 'eatbrie' listed as high bidder on several EMP auctions days before they end.  ;)

Never.  Not even once.  I actually do not understand why people bid early since everything happens within the last 5mn.  Which is also why I try to check the auctions a day or two before.  That's really all the time you need.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10587 on: March 28, 2021, 10:59:47 AM »
Thierry, I did get 2 posters yesterday at Heritage.  The big item for me was the large Italian 4F  for Horror of Dracula (style B), to complement the style A I bought last year.  Linenbacked unfortunately, but it’s a large format that is quite rare, so I bought the bullet (yet again, lol).  I also acquired  a folded copy of Tarzan and the Leopard Woman US one-sheet, which I wasn’t planning on getting, but it was going to sell at a rather low price so I scooped it at the last minute.  I’ve always liked that poster, and most copies that surface are on linen, so its unrestored state was the cinch for me this time.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10588 on: March 28, 2021, 11:02:31 AM »
Seriously, the generalized anti-linen sentiment around here is absurd and a detriment to the hobby.  eyeroll
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10589 on: March 28, 2021, 11:24:10 AM »

Nice, I actually thought of you when I saw the poster.  I didn't know whether you had it or not.  If you ever see a folded version, lmk hahaha

Sadly, I only got a couple too. Not as nice as your Dracula.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10590 on: March 28, 2021, 12:54:17 PM »
That Lady from Shanghai is pretty great though, so you should be happy about that pick up.

I noticed that some of the beautiful Italian posters in yesterday's auction failed to sell, no doubt because of the aggressively high estimates (Son of Frankenstein, Walking Dead and Border Town for example). 

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10591 on: March 28, 2021, 02:44:00 PM »
I noticed that some of the beautiful Italian posters in yesterday's auction failed to sell, no doubt because of the aggressively high estimates (Son of Frankenstein, Walking Dead and Border Town for example).

When I saw that two of the cover lots failed to sell and that the Valentino didn't even reach $20K against a 25-50K estimate I assumed the auction overall was a failure, then I looked and saw they did over $1.7 Million on the 420 lots that did sell and was like, wow.
Really, they just knock it out of the park every single time.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10592 on: March 28, 2021, 07:20:04 PM »
So out of $2mil in sales, how much does HA pocket?

Also, don’t forget to show us your goodies.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #10593 on: March 30, 2021, 06:33:54 PM »
Thierry, I did get 2 posters yesterday at Heritage.  The big item for me was the large Italian 4F  for Horror of Dracula (style B), to complement the style A I bought last year.  Linenbacked unfortunately, but it’s a large format that is quite rare, so I bought the bullet (yet again, lol).  I also acquired  a folded copy of Tarzan and the Leopard Woman US one-sheet, which I wasn’t planning on getting, but it was going to sell at a rather low price so I scooped it at the last minute.  I’ve always liked that poster, and most copies that surface are on linen, so its unrestored state was the cinch for me this time.

That Dracula is INCREDIBLE.  Kudos on the major pick-up!

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #10594 on: March 30, 2021, 06:34:31 PM »
Seriously, the generalized anti-linen sentiment around here is absurd and a detriment to the hobby.  eyeroll

100%

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10595 on: March 30, 2021, 06:44:42 PM »
This is a public forum.  You are all entitled to your opinions.  God knows I've had to grind my teeth multiple times in the past.  I think linenbacking posters that are not in dire need of it is a detriment to the hobby and I say it.  90% of what HA had for sale was linenbacked.  Are you going to tell me that all these posters were coming apart and would have not survived otherwise?  I think not.  People linenback beautiful posters to get rid of folds and I think it's a shame.

T
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:49:03 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10596 on: March 30, 2021, 07:52:01 PM »
This is a public forum.  You are all entitled to your opinions.  God knows I've had to grind my teeth multiple times in the past.  I think linenbacking posters that are not in dire need of it is a detriment to the hobby and I say it.  90% of what HA had for sale was linenbacked.  Are you going to tell me that all these posters were coming apart and would have not survived otherwise?  I think not.  People linenback beautiful posters to get rid of folds and I think it's a shame.

Thierry, I side with you on this one. I have a few linenbacked posters but I do not like them. I find them harder to frame, heavy and more difficult to store. They don't even feel like "posters" any longer. My original PSYCHO, a re-release of DRACULA'S DAUGHTER and THE SON OF FRANKENSTEIN and a few others just sit in their tubes. I wish they were NOT linenbacked, but ...

I'm just NOT a fan.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10597 on: March 30, 2021, 07:55:39 PM »

Agreed.
I just sold a beautiful Goldfinger quad to the organizer of the annual Sotheby's JB auction for a silly price, and what is the first thing he wanted me to do?
Ship it off to his restorer so it could be linenbacked.  Almost made me cancel the sale, but there goes another beautiful poster down the drain.

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
« Reply #10598 on: March 30, 2021, 08:19:41 PM »
To LB or not to LB that is the question....

I also side with Thierry on the LB debate. Interestingly enough I have purchased two vintage Mexican posters (cheaply) in poor condition due to being Linen Backed. They have multiple small hair line creases and lifting (from the backing) due to the paper separating from the heavy duck canvas (aka linen). I am going to try and remove the backing and 'restore' these posters as (in theory) the glue used should be water soluble and the process reversible. I see a whole area of expertise being developed for LB reversal (kind of like the Tattoo removal business).
Regards

Ian

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10599 on: March 30, 2021, 09:47:50 PM »
Agreed.
I just sold a beautiful Goldfinger quad to the organizer of the annual Sotheby's JB auction for a silly price, and what is the first thing he wanted me to do?
Ship it off to his restorer so it could be linenbacked.  Almost made me cancel the sale, but there goes another beautiful poster down the drain.

Truly pathetic, imo.  Sad and pathetic.  But hey, when a Breakfast at Tifany's Linen sells for $9k at HA ( notworthy.gif), I guess the LB fans have a point.  People don't care.  Personally, I'll stick with my mint folded one.

T
My Personal Collection