Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837386 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9125 on: April 03, 2017, 02:12:06 PM »
Of course I was charged postage.  There is no flat fee shipping at HA; they weigh, they price, they charge.  It was a folded poster that should have had minimal cost. Add the book and you are over a pound and the cost goes up.  Tell me then what is shipping 1 folded poster to Canada, and then add a pound on top of that and see what the quote is.

Vick, I know precisely what shipping will cost.

if you buy a single one sheet from me, it is $23 to ship to Canada and I'm losing on labor & packaging.
To not lose on labor & packaging, would need to be charging $28

This is calculated on a 3lb package, not that it weighs 3lbs, but 2lb 1oz will be it's actual weight in the Stay Flat envelope, with 2 sheets of cardboard, a plastic bag & backing board board.

However, you said "folded poster"
that doesn't tell me if it's a 1 sheet or a French 47x63. It it was a 47x63, that could lift it to over 3 lbs adding another $8 or so to shipping alone.

the cost of shipping is a good chunk of change and if the GOP privatizes the post office, it's going to go up. considerably.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9126 on: April 03, 2017, 07:18:09 PM »
Of course I was charged postage.  There is no flat fee shipping at HA; they weigh, they price, they charge.  It was a folded poster that should have had minimal cost. Add the book and you are over a pound and the cost goes up.  Tell me then what is shipping 1 folded poster to Canada, and then add a pound on top of that and see what the quote is.

Not speaking for Heritage. But they don't charge exact postage. Your poster had a price based off the shipping chart they use (you can see the domestic one here - https://movieposters.ha.com/c/shipping.zx) and they then included the book and "paid" any additional fees themselves. If you don't find out what shipping charges are beforehand, that is on you.
You can be upset with what their charges are, but those prices are without any books and they don't raise the price if they include one.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9127 on: April 03, 2017, 09:31:24 PM »
OK FINE

Heritage, I am sorry. :'(

On another note, why can't I just have my beat up fair to good poster simply mailed in an envelope with a bloody stamp? 

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9128 on: April 03, 2017, 09:39:39 PM »
On another note, why can't I just have my beat up fair to good poster simply mailed in an envelope with a bloody stamp?

because when stuff is shipped like that, you wind up in this thread

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,10935.0.html

;D

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9129 on: April 04, 2017, 03:24:21 AM »

Probably for the same reason you can't get it without a $19 buyer's premium.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9130 on: April 05, 2017, 01:46:20 AM »
OK FINE

Heritage, I am sorry. :'(

But if it was mailed that way and got damaged, it's likely you'd be complaining & cursing about HA's "flimsy, inferior packaging." So it's almost like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, in your case.

Which would you rather have, Vick? Weak, cheaper packaging? Or that which tries to insure safe arrival?  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9131 on: April 05, 2017, 02:34:24 AM »
and this.......

because when stuff is shipped like that, you wind up in this thread

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,10935.0.html

;D

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9132 on: April 05, 2017, 04:50:34 AM »
Honestly I would like the option.  How often does your mail arrive all damaged in your mailbox?  Not me.  I get stuff mailed from all over, postcards. Etc, never any problems.  It doesn't arrive scrunched up n a ball or soaking wet, covered in bees etc

If I buy a $20 folded poster I honestly don't care if it arrives with an added corner crease bc its already in lesser condition or I'm willing to take that chance.  I feel pretty dumb having to pay $25 or more for monster proof packaging I don't really need.  So yes in some cases I would like the " toss a few one sheets in an eveloppe" option. When you pay an added premium on the US currency to begin with you start to question why you're forced to swallow a model that doesn't work for you.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9133 on: April 05, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »
I have something coming right now where I requested to the sender that the poster be sent First Class mail, rather than needing it ASAP and paying for the advertised (and more expensive) Priority Mail service- even though that was the only mailing option given.

The seller obliged and mailed it First Class. I was happy that they were willing to do that for me, as overpaying for shipping is a big peeve of mine, and I avoid it any way I can.

But I bet most dealers and auction houses would shy away from this, as the worry of potential damage and complaints would be too great.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:16:10 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9134 on: April 05, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »
In addition to the liability for damage issue, the major dealers really aren't set up for this.  Bruce sends out on the order of 2500 packages a week.  Can you imagine going into McDonalds and ordering 2500 Big Macs and then saying 622 with no onions, 814 with no lettuce, 310 with neither onions or lettuce.  Oh, and I need it quick because I am coming back tomorrow and ordering another 2500.
-Jay-

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9135 on: April 05, 2017, 02:25:38 PM »
In addition to the liability for damage issue, the major dealers really aren't set up for this.  Bruce sends out on the order of 2500 packages a week.  Can you imagine going into McDonalds and ordering 2500 Big Macs and then saying 622 with no onions, 814 with no lettuce, 310 with neither onions or lettuce.  Oh, and I need it quick because I am coming back tomorrow and ordering another 2500.

Jay, buyers like to think they are paying for shipping, but they aren't. Sellers pay for it in the form of lowered prices for their merchandise

but there's a catch - now that the buyers are used to paying lower prices for the merch, if you lower shipping costs - they still don't bid higher now.

moreover, your costs for shipping a package (labor & supplies) does not go down just because you're shipping by a different method.

Mail order business is tough enough, without having to leave out the onions for 622 orders and 814 with no lettuce.

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9136 on: April 05, 2017, 02:54:48 PM »
Jay, buyers like to think they are paying for shipping, but they aren't. Sellers pay for it in the form of lowered prices for their merchandise

but there's a catch - now that the buyers are used to paying lower prices for the merch, if you lower shipping costs - they still don't bid higher now.

moreover, your costs for shipping a package (labor & supplies) does not go down just because you're shipping by a different method.

Mail order business is tough enough, without having to leave out the onions for 622 orders and 814 with no lettuce.

Yeah, I grew up in retail/service business.  When I was 16, my dad was at a crucial point and asked if I wanted to take it over in time.   I said "hell no".  He closed the business and went into teaching.  I got my engineering degree.  30 years later, I took another shot at running a business (not retail) and eventually went broke.  I simply shudder when I think about trying to run something like your auction sites with the margins I imagine.  Designing airplanes is much less stressful.
-Jay-

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9137 on: April 05, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »
Yeah, I grew up in retail/service business.  When I was 16, my dad was at a crucial point and asked if I wanted to take it over in time.   I said "hell no".  He closed the business and went into teaching.  I got my engineering degree.  30 years later, I took another shot at running a business (not retail) and eventually went broke.  I simply shudder when I think about trying to run something like your auction sites with the margins I imagine.  Designing airplanes is much less stressful.

business is and always has been a tough environment

people don't realize that in the first year, 50% of all new businesses fail. In 2 years it's 75%. In 5 years it's 90%
businesses that are open after 5 years are known as the cream of the crop.

Mail order is no different, but most people, who never do any kind of real 'bookkeeping' on how well they are doing, don't realize how poorly they are doing.

margins only get thinner, not bigger

there is no way to cut down the labor or materials costs and online competition is fierce.

while I am sympathetic to people buying online wanting to save money, your sympathy wears pretty thin as your prices realized goes down and fighting against Wal Mart selling at dollar store prices is another level of problem.

15 years ago, I charged $7 for packing/shipping and there was $2-3 there to pay for materials and labor. That margin for labor & materials has evaporated and at $12 for domestic mailing, I lose $2 on each package. In order to maintain the equation of 2002, I would have to charge $17 for the same service.

every dollar that a buyer/bidder's costs go up, the seller's price realizations goes down.

it's a no-win situation for sellers.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:29:22 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #9138 on: April 05, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
business is and always has been a tough environment

people don't realize that in the first year, 50% of all new businesses fail. In 2 years it's 75%. In 5 years it's 90%
businesses that are open after 5 years are known as the cream of the crop.

Mail order is no different, but for most people, who never do any kind of real 'bookkeeping' on how well they are doing, don't realize how poorly they are doing.

margins only get thinner, not bigger

there is no way to cut down the labor or labor costs and online competition is fierce.

while I am sympathetic to people buying online wanting to save money, your sympathy wears pretty thin as your prices realized goes down and fighting against Wal Mart selling at dollar store prices is another level of problem.

15 years ago, I charged $7 for packing/shipping and there was $2-3 there to pay for materials and labor. That margin for labor & materials has evaporated and at $12 for domestic mailing, I lose $2 on each package. In order to maintain the equation of 2002, I would have to charge $17 for the same service.

every dollar that a buyer/bidder's costs go up, the seller's price realizations goes down.

it's a no-win situation for sellers.

Great post Rich.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9139 on: April 05, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »
Great post Rich.

thanks bud. I've stated this before and while I totally appreciate the buyer side (after all, I'm still a collector!) I also recognize how easy it is for buyers to not know any of what I said.
factually, you want to buy it & get it and you really don't care about anything else. I understand this.

ps: after you posted, I saw I needed to make a correction:
"there is no way to cut down the labor or labor costs and online competition is fierce. "

is supposed to be "there is no way to cut down the labor or materials costs and online competition is fierce. "

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9140 on: April 05, 2017, 04:35:16 PM »

yeah I've opened other businesses and never did well. I managed a family service station in Manhattan for a time also. We specialized in Mercedes at that time, but worked on anything of course. I always come back to this stuff.

fortunately, I'm able to keep my margin low, because my warehouse has low rent & biz taxes in Nevada are laughably low, especially for online business
the equation can change quickly of course, but the largest expenditure is and always will be labor - and mostly my own!
admittedly, I have pretty good job security as long as I have a warehouse full of stuff....

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9141 on: April 05, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »
$3800.00 for this set of 3 French 1Ps from the 1950s. I really like the look of these. Well drawn, imho. The seller was Dominique Besson.

And FREE, one day shipping, to boot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MRIUS-FANNY-CESAR-SET-OF-3-ORIGINAL-FRENCH-POSTER-VERY-RARE-/302119172960?hash=item4657b4bb60%3Ag%3AAj8AAOSwcLxYELBu&nma=true&si=4Zwn8Q8wxFUKu430opECu%252BYyqns%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:52:33 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9142 on: April 05, 2017, 04:56:14 PM »
$3800.00 for this set of 3 French 1Ps from the 1950s. I really like the look of these. Well drawn, imho. The seller was Dominique Besson.

And FREE, one day shipping, to boot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MRIUS-FANNY-CESAR-SET-OF-3-ORIGINAL-FRENCH-POSTER-VERY-RARE-/302119172960?hash=item4657b4bb60%3Ag%3AAj8AAOSwcLxYELBu&nma=true&si=4Zwn8Q8wxFUKu430opECu%252BYyqns%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Those are very cool.  I'd like to think they are going into some public space where lots of folks see them.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9144 on: April 05, 2017, 06:06:35 PM »
I need to find a Marius poster for the gambling collection

-------

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #9145 on: April 06, 2017, 12:05:31 AM »
Those are really fun Jeff. CONGRATS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9146 on: April 06, 2017, 12:11:06 AM »
Those aren't mine, Shawn. I wish.  :'( 

I was pointing them out as a cool sale, and I think a pretty good deal, once they had sold, in the Post-analysis thread. I certainly like them, too, and wouldn't mind owning them some day. Plus, it was interesting to see the 3 offered together in one auction listing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:45:54 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9147 on: April 08, 2017, 06:44:02 PM »
Happy to answer this.
The "2lb book" is actually a 10 oz paperback book that retails for $11 via Amazon.
It's given free to all first-time buyers and anyone that fills out a survey and wants it.
Its called "The Collector's Handbook: Tax Planning, Strategy and Estate Advice from Collectors and Their Heirs."

In the 12 years we've been sending it to our clients, hundreds, if not thousands; I've never had anyone complain about receiving but have had a number of thanks for the helpful book.  :)

Grey... the copy you sent out arrived today. Thanks so much for getting a copy out to me. It's much appreciated.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline greysm

• Hobbyist
    • Director of US Poster Auctions
« Reply #9148 on: April 08, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »
You're welcome, Jeff!

• Post-aholic
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:09:35 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------