Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838204 times)

guest4531

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7875 on: September 25, 2015, 02:19:41 AM »
Yes, the printing on rolled Frenchies is definitely not as sharp as on folded ones.  But beyond that, what really bothers me is the fragility of the rolled paper.  It feels like folded posters are printed on thicker paper, while rolled ones, which are meant for the subway, are thinner, very easy to damage.  Is that something you noticed too, Zoongrew? 

Et bienvenue sur APF.  Je vous ai acheté pas mal de trucs au fil des années.  Et même récemment.

Thierry

I bought some unfolded French petite recently (poster from 1985 and 2005) and gonna say that printing quality was sh*t.  Bad printing and letters aren't sharp at all, they look like (and they may be) fake poster you can buy in the street.

You are saying that it it normal then from French Petite ?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7876 on: September 25, 2015, 02:22:28 AM »
I bought some unfolded French petite recently (poster from 1985 and 2005) and gonna say that printing quality was sh*t.  Bad printing and letters aren't sharp at all, they look like (and they may be) fake poster you can buy in the street.

Sorry, I don't know what a Petite is.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7877 on: September 25, 2015, 02:28:16 AM »
The spring breakers he had won tonight has the ratings block unlike the ones you can buy direct which lack the ratings block and was a really good price at $120.
And that under the skin would go for 80-100 on ebay another steal on tonight auctions.

Jason, what makes that price a "decent or good price" for this poster? Why is that?

This one, too... SKIN, I mean.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:33:10 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #7878 on: September 25, 2015, 02:39:56 AM »
Jeff for Spring Breakers a few collectors I know that have been looking for them offered 200+ If I could find one for them..... and shy away from the ones from Amazon. The credit block version in their opinion are the legit ones and were the ones issued to theatres. Hard to find the credit block ones.  I know of one for sale from a collector and they wanted $250 or $300. Cant remember the exact price but somewhere in that range.  

...and Under the Skin was selling strong at 80-100 until they dried up on ebay. Jomms has them for $150 now.
And look at this item number on ebay. $304??!?  Thats a anomoly for sure but it was the only one I saw when quickly checking completed auctions.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:46:01 AM by jedgerley »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7879 on: September 25, 2015, 03:08:25 AM »
Sorry, I don't know what a Petite is.

T

A petite is many times smaller than a Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande"", in fact I think about eight petite ones will equal a Thierry hates "Thierry hates "French Grande""

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 03:10:08 AM by 50s »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7880 on: September 25, 2015, 03:08:42 AM »
So, like anything..it's all about supply, demand, style and version.. and what is or more (or less) available.

Got it.

cheers

-Jeff

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
    • The Dodo Bird Shop Movie Posters
« Reply #7881 on: September 25, 2015, 08:10:38 AM »
I bought some unfolded French petite recently (poster from 1985 and 2005) and gonna say that printing quality was sh*t.  Bad printing and letters aren't sharp at all, they look like (and they may be) fake poster you can buy in the street.

French 16x24" posters are good quality printings and also folded on the middle by the printers machine. I don't own any rolled 16x24 french posters so I can't say about quality.
It seems like this

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:24:27 AM by Zoongrew »

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
« Reply #7882 on: September 25, 2015, 08:25:38 AM »
Are we talking about the Spring Breakers from HArmony Korine ? 120$ for the poster ??

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7883 on: September 25, 2015, 08:37:58 AM »
The spring breakers he had won tonight has the ratings block unlike the ones you can buy direct which lack the ratings block and was a really good price at $120.
And that under the skin would go for 80-100 on ebay another steal on tonight auctions.

Interesting.  I didn't notice that the Under the Skin one sheets are not all over eBay, etc., as they were a few months ago.

I picked up a Spring Breakers OS from Amazon, and sent this one off because it was in worse condition, and didn't even notice the difference with the ratings box.  That minor difference is probably why someone offered me $500 for it.

That's kinda like someone paying $595 for a Pretty Woman one sheet from Cinemasterpieces, because it is the rare version, as Dave L. has said, with NSS info.  Another example would be someone paying $395 for a Clerks one sheet because the seller allegedly has some info. that is not readily available to the public, that proves it's an original, as "discussed" in this thread.  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8957.0.html  Of course, there was ZERO evidence that these versions were the ones used in theaters, and the rest were not.

On this one for Spring Breakers, it seems to be identical to the one from Amazon without the ratings box.   It's very possible that the studio printed them for theaters, and then realized that someone done goofed and forgot to put the ratings box on, or a similar scenario, so they decided to sell them to fans, to liquidate their stock.  I really don't think the studio would do a separate print run just to sell them to fans.  

Without any evidence proving that one style was printed for theaters and the other was not, it's splitting some fine hairs, IMO, but to each his own.  Personally, I wouldn't put a huge "art gallery" price tag on these, but I'm also not a seller.  Anyway, congrats, AgentOrange.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 09:15:55 AM by Neo »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7884 on: September 25, 2015, 08:50:44 AM »
Are we talking about the Spring Breakers from HArmony Korine ? 120$ for the poster ??

Yes, this result from last night at emovieposter - http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3986313

Also, welcome to the forum!

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
« Reply #7885 on: September 25, 2015, 09:14:43 AM »
Yes, this result from last night at emovieposter - http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=3986313

Also, welcome to the forum!
Hi Tob,

Well 120$ is a little too much no ? Even if I like this poster.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7886 on: September 25, 2015, 09:47:54 AM »
It does seem a scarce poster (the version with the ratings box) and the film has a strong cult following. It has sold for more in the past too. So I think it seems a 'normal' price to me? But these things are all relative.

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
« Reply #7887 on: September 25, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »
So do you think 22$ for this 47x63" original french poster is a good price ?

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #7888 on: September 25, 2015, 11:19:06 AM »
Maybe, but you can get it rolled for €20.

Mirosae

« Reply #7889 on: September 25, 2015, 12:19:37 PM »
I dont understand this hammer price. Sold for $4,000. I love John Ford but this is a " bit"  too much.  :-\

John Wayne Image during the filming of  The Searchers Monument Valley, Arizona-Utah. [1955] ESTATE STAMPED - ARCHIVAL PIGMENT PRINT Photographer: John R. Hamilton Size: 22x30 inches - (Edition 3 of 35) - Framed

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
« Reply #7890 on: September 25, 2015, 12:35:24 PM »
Maybe, but you can get it rolled for €20.

I don't like french rolled posters, poor quality as I was telling it on an other thread :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7891 on: September 25, 2015, 12:36:55 PM »
So do you think 22$ for this 47x63" original french poster is a good price ?

Is there a US style that features this same imagery, too?

-Jeff

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #7892 on: September 25, 2015, 01:26:51 PM »
I don't like french rolled posters, poor quality as I was telling it on an other thread :)

I know, I commented on that thread. But as stated in yet another thread, we all know rolled is better  :P

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7893 on: September 25, 2015, 01:47:31 PM »
Is there a US style that features this same imagery, too?

Yeah.  It's the more common style for the film, and was used in slightly different variations in several countries.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7894 on: September 25, 2015, 01:50:06 PM »
Thanks Brandon.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7895 on: September 25, 2015, 02:15:52 PM »
None of these girls are pretty, imo...  It's just trash meets trash.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7896 on: September 25, 2015, 03:56:43 PM »
I have no idea why those posters aren't in the $5 bin
ugly as anything..

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7897 on: September 25, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »
To each his own.

Although the movie is very polarizing, it's highly acclaimed by many, and of course a lot of folks appreciate the fine art of these posters.  8)

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
« Reply #7898 on: September 27, 2015, 06:35:22 AM »
I know, I commented on that thread. But as stated in yet another thread, we all know rolled is better  :P
I'd like to have a link of this thread in order to share my point of you ;)

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
« Reply #7899 on: September 27, 2015, 06:38:17 AM »
Yeah.  It's the more common style for the film, and was used in slightly different variations in several countries.

Yeah and it's better, in my opinion, with the gun the left hand of James Franco
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:40:21 AM by Zoongrew »