Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2837398 times)

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7350 on: June 04, 2015, 12:50:16 PM »
One of the full size Harry Potter Azkaban lenticulars sold for $2184.00 yesterday on ebay. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271880200618?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would be worried that some permanent damage has been or will be caused by the poster having been rolled for over 10 years, particularly if someone tries to flatten it out now.

Mark 

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7351 on: June 04, 2015, 01:21:50 PM »
Crikey....

And, Fancy rolling something like that, some people.. eyeroll
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7352 on: June 04, 2015, 01:34:09 PM »
The prices these go for always amaze me...  faint2.gif

Looks to be in nice condition, tho, too.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7353 on: June 04, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
The prices these go for always amaze me...  faint2.gif

Ditto.  I really don't understand the attraction to these, but then again most would say the same about 99% of the shit I collect.

T
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:52:56 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Mirosae

« Reply #7354 on: June 04, 2015, 02:16:01 PM »
Christie's South Kensington auction was today. Good fun though I  found it all a bit amusing. Mostly men and Russian women who looked like they were just casually shopping for fun. 

KING KONG 1933 FRENCH sold for £10,000 plus 25% BP. I think Bruce Merchant bought it. Or someone that looked like him. The poster looks ok-ish to me. Not my favourite Kong.

My favourite vintage poster was this other one

Close up

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #7355 on: June 04, 2015, 07:18:46 PM »
One of the full size Harry Potter Azkaban lenticulars sold for $2184.00 yesterday on ebay.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271880200618?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would be worried that some permanent damage has been or will be caused by the poster having been rolled for over 10 years, particularly if someone tries to flatten it out now.

Mark  

I was wondering when someone was going to post this. I was watching intently and asked many questions, but decided against bidding near the end. Surprised it didn't get outted.
Info on this poster seems scarce. Found an old post on MPF and then some info on HA that didn't quite sync with what the seller told me. HA says printer was in Michigan, while seller swore it came from Wisconsin (across the river near Twin Cities, MN). MPF post claims only 6 copies, as does LAMP. Seller's measurements were closer to HA's, though (versus LAMP).
Anyways, guessing it will be on HA soon. :)

What's the likelihood of something like that being repro'd nowadys? There's lots of printers can do lenticular prints and that poster doesn't have moving parts, just a fade away image.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:24:19 PM by pratschm »
Witty signature goes here.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7356 on: June 04, 2015, 07:39:59 PM »
Christie's South Kensington auction was today. Good fun though I  found it all a bit amusing. Mostly men and Russian women who looked like they were just casually shopping for fun. 

KING KONG 1933 FRENCH sold for £10,000 plus 25% BP. I think Bruce Merchant bought it. Or someone that looked like him. The poster looks ok-ish to me. Not my favourite Kong.

I was hoping to go to this one but in the end, appointments kept me in Windsor so followed online.

I made a very feeble attempt to bid on the Breakfast at Tiffany's insert for a friend but, my one bid of £1100 was very quickly surpassed.  Bless the auctioneer though, he said, 'Come back online, I saw you briefly make some sort of an attempt.'

Yes.  Had there been an Apology button, I would have clicked it.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #7357 on: June 04, 2015, 08:03:24 PM »
 ;)  I too share the embarrassment of feebly wasting the auctioneers time.  I console myself with the fact that it's helping them open up the bidding.

I absolutely adore that Kong.  It's the one I'd buy if I ever won the lottery.  Condition on this one seems a little iffy though.  The anorexic Russian wives can have it.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7358 on: June 04, 2015, 09:02:55 PM »
I was wondering when someone was going to post this. I was watching intently and asked many questions, but decided against bidding near the end. Surprised it didn't get outted.
Info on this poster seems scarce. Found an old post on MPF and then some info on HA that didn't quite sync with what the seller told me. HA says printer was in Michigan, while seller swore it came from Wisconsin (across the river near Twin Cities, MN). MPF post claims only 6 copies, as does LAMP. Seller's measurements were closer to HA's, though (versus LAMP).
Anyways, guessing it will be on HA soon. :)

What's the likelihood of something like that being repro'd nowadys? There's lots of printers can do lenticular prints and that poster doesn't have moving parts, just a fade away image.

Good info and sleuthing there, Mike.  :D

-Jeff

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #7359 on: June 04, 2015, 11:10:23 PM »
Good info and sleuthing there, Mike.  :D

Hah, thanks. Gotta contribute something every once in a while. :)
Witty signature goes here.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7360 on: June 05, 2015, 03:21:08 AM »
Hah, thanks. Gotta contribute something every once in a while. :)

cheers, Mike.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #7361 on: June 06, 2015, 05:20:30 AM »
;)  I too share the embarrassment of feebly wasting the auctioneers time.  I console myself with the fact that it's helping them open up the bidding.

I absolutely adore that Kong.  It's the one I'd buy if I ever won the lottery.  Condition on this one seems a little iffy though.  The anorexic Russian wives can have it.

--Peter

Sold for 10k. You can buy it now for 33k!! faint2.gif

I was hoping to go to this one but in the end, appointments kept me in Windsor so followed online.

I made a very feeble attempt to bid on the Breakfast at Tiffany's insert for a friend but, my one bid of £1100 was very quickly surpassed.  Bless the auctioneer though, he said, 'Come back online, I saw you briefly make some sort of an attempt.'

Yes.  Had there been an Apology button, I would have clicked it.

:) sorry you didnt get it Simes. Do you recall Can.. you cut your bid online? HA has that option but dont remember Christies having that. It seemed to me that they "favoured" phone bidders. They let a phone bidder cut the bid twice in a row.  Will bear that in mind next time.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7362 on: June 06, 2015, 07:51:22 AM »
Online, no.

Yes, you can on Heritage and I am sure the 'phone bidders would be given that opportunity at Christie's and elsewhere.  At least, I was when on the 'phone with Ewbanks...

Mirosae

« Reply #7363 on: June 06, 2015, 09:20:30 AM »
Thanks Simes thumbsup.gif

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7364 on: June 08, 2015, 12:58:04 AM »
Does anyone care that this poster is NOT 30x40in?

People don't seem to mind about the "recut" London tube posters.  Why is that?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7365 on: June 08, 2015, 01:46:22 AM »
What are those, exactly, T?

dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7366 on: June 08, 2015, 01:53:09 AM »
It does say 30x40 in the description, or am I missing something..

Yes there was an Underground version at 27x40, but also a full Quad at 30x40 of this design...

The underground ones are not cut, they come like that from the printers.   

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7367 on: June 08, 2015, 01:58:33 AM »
It does say 30x40 in the description, or am I missing something..

Yes it does, but look at the picture.  It's missing 2 inches at the bottom and one at the top.  My question is, Paul, does it diminishes the value of a poster at all?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7368 on: June 08, 2015, 03:41:05 AM »
If it's missing that much on the length and the width, how could it be described as being a true 30x40, without the trimming being mentioned?

-Jeff

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #7369 on: June 08, 2015, 04:33:32 AM »
The true dimensions should always be given and I would be returning that poster if I won the auction and it turned out to be undersized. I value a full 30 x 40 quad more than an equivalent "London Underground" version.

Mark

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7370 on: June 08, 2015, 09:01:11 AM »
We discussed this a while back: Under-sized, but un-trimmed quads? Calling quad and/or Bond experts!

I'm also in the camp that puts a higher value on the full 30x40 posters. 

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #7371 on: June 08, 2015, 10:13:19 AM »
Thanks for posting the shots from the auction Rosa, that Kong is also one of my favorites for the film.

On a lighter non quad related note I was a little surprised that with a ll of the fervor and what not lately over the Empire Strikes Back B "purple" or dark version that this one lasted a whopping 12 hours before being bought on Flea-Bay especially in untrimmed form. Not mint but would flatten but nicely with little effort.

Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back Style B Purple Untrimmed Printers Proof
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:26:36 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7372 on: June 08, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »
Jeff it's not trimmed they are printed that way, and the folds are spot on in the middle..

T, I personally do think it hurts the price, they never/shouldn't bring what a standard Quad would fetch. I would always want a full size Quad over a smaller version, and as Mark rightly says this should be mentioned in the description. Oh, and I did only quickly glance at it at 6:30 this morning before rushing out to work, but did notice the ratio was off...

Quite frankly I've never got this London Underground thing, maybe one of the Londoners can explain it.

I have seen full size Quads in the underground, I even have an underground Asylum Quad which is (slightly) different to the normal Quad artwork-wise, but is still a full 30x40. Also, why is it just certain titles that are these so called "London underground" Quads, as technically they are not a Quad, more like a Horizontal 1Sht!!!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7373 on: June 08, 2015, 12:10:45 PM »
Thanks, Paul.

;)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7374 on: June 08, 2015, 12:22:25 PM »
Thanks for posting the shots from the auction Rosa, that Kong is also one of my favorites for the film.

On a lighter non quad related note I was a little surprised that with a ll of the fervor and what not lately over the Empire Strikes Back B "purple" or dark version that this one lasted a whopping 12 hours before being bought on Flea-Bay especially in untrimmed form. Not mint but would flatten but nicely with little effort.

Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back Style B Purple Untrimmed Printers Proof

Plus, Ive always enjoyed the "untrimmed printer's proof" vs "it's just an untrimmed poster" debate, too. I know there are a couple threads here that have discussed this (in general) over the years.

-Jeff