Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2838201 times)

Mirosae

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #6450 on: September 04, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
Yes. I thought it was a treat for Chaplin collectors.

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #6451 on: September 04, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
Oh wow, what a wonderful piece.  Super jealous of whomever picked that up.   bed1 bed1 bed1

Mirosae

« Reply #6452 on: September 04, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »
Surprised one escaped your net!! ;)

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #6453 on: September 04, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »
Haha, and here I thought I was a master poster tracker.  Eh, we all have our off days... ;D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6454 on: September 04, 2014, 08:52:18 PM »
Wow!  Just wow!  All I gotta say is that...

1) The 80s are back, baby.
2) The recession is over.

T
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:57:28 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6455 on: September 04, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »
3) People are idiots.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #6456 on: September 04, 2014, 11:03:23 PM »
Looks like some poker playr won big and has decide to throw his money away... $150 for Revenge of the Nerds, $105 for Cannonball Run...

I wonder if those Fight Clubs were full or just almost full size...

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #6457 on: September 04, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »

I bet most of these that surface are Suncoast specials...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #6458 on: September 04, 2014, 11:33:43 PM »

I agree.  I would have thought that they might make specific mention of the size as they have done before, particularly since they were 'featured' in this auction...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6459 on: September 04, 2014, 11:43:38 PM »
Looks like some poker playr won big and has decide to throw his money away... $150 for Revenge of the Nerds, $105 for Cannonball Run...

and seeing as he is a new member here and has been logged on today, maybe some of you know-it-alls would like to communicate with him, rather than be ragging on him

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6460 on: September 05, 2014, 12:17:34 AM »

It takes two to tango. 

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6461 on: September 05, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »

Wasn't me, but he is going to have a pretty solid base collection of posters in great condition.  Pricey, but I can understand, especially if he has dealt with some of the ebay shenanigans (tloce, shitty packaging, poorly described defects, etc). 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:42:24 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #6462 on: September 05, 2014, 01:05:56 AM »
It takes two to tango. 

True... Talk about jumping in with both feet though...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6463 on: September 05, 2014, 01:41:13 AM »

This is one title I do not collect (I hated the movie) so I'm not familiar with the Suncoast specials.  Can you elaborate?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6464 on: September 05, 2014, 02:44:39 AM »
This is one title I do not collect (I hated the movie) so I'm not familiar with the Suncoast specials.  Can you elaborate?

T

Suncoast is a movie and movie related tchotchke store.  They were often found in shopping malls and hocked DVDs and related crap at or above retail (ie. way too expensive).  Your garden variety DVD for say Big Trouble in Little China would run you $24.  They are (were?) owned by TransWorld, the same folks that own Sam Goody and FYE.  Last I knew, they has closed most if not all of the Suncoast stores.

Anyway, most of the related merchandise in their store were closely tied to whatever was hot in pop culture at the time.  They had those Fight Club posters that looked and felt authentic except their size was a little off.  How off escapes me right now.  I think they had a few other posters in this same vein.  To me it always smelled like they were buying en-masse from moviegoods.com and snookering unsuspecting teenagers at a 30% markup.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6465 on: September 05, 2014, 10:30:39 AM »
They would often sell posters from new or recent releases.  They sold the posters shrink-wrapped to a piece of cardboard.  There was a sticker on the outside of the packaging that claimed the poster was an "original" or "authentic" movie poster.  Always single-sided I think.  Size was usually a little off from the originals, but close. They were always close to 27 X 40.

Those Fight Club posters were one of the many titles they sold.  I remember they had Star Wars Special Edition Struzan posters and Star Trek titles. Basically, titles that would appeal to their target male demographic.  For example, I don't think they reprinted Pretty Woman, even though it was a popular movie. (If they did, I'm sure Cinemasterpieces has all the copies)

I think the Suncoast issue was something discussed on MPT back in the day.

Did I miss anything?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:37:22 AM by jpicken »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6466 on: September 05, 2014, 11:07:28 AM »
I see.  So like Ben, are you guys saying that the posters Bruce sold last night could be Suncoast material?

T
My Personal Collection

Stormcrow

« Reply #6467 on: September 05, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »
Wow!  Just wow!  All I gotta say is that...

1) The 80s are back, baby.
2) The recession is over.

T

Last night has me seriously thinking hard about parting with my much loved 80's collection.... Anyone want a perfect rolled Vacation for 400 bucks? HAHAHA

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #6468 on: September 05, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »
I see.  So like Ben, are you guys saying that the posters Bruce sold last night could be Suncoast material?

T

I doubt it, because I am relatively confident Bruce and his staff know how to tell the difference.  In that respect, it might have been worth the price for those from his place.  Because, they are almost impossible to buy elsewhere.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6469 on: September 05, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »

T

Bruce's entire reputation is built on his expertise and his guarantee not to misrepresent posters.  He would be back to playing poker if anyone proved he was intentionally selling fakes.
-Jay-

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #6470 on: September 05, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »
I have sets of the Fight Club teasers (both sizes) and there is zero difference between them other than one set is marginally smaller.  I am sure there was a thread a couple of years ago specifically about them in which I posted precise dimensions for each.

Mark

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6471 on: September 05, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
I have sets of the Fight Club teasers (both sizes) and there is zero difference between them other than one set is marginally smaller.  I am sure there was a thread a couple of years ago specifically about them in which I posted precise dimensions for each.

Mark

Indeed you did, Mark.  ;)

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,3232.0.html

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6472 on: September 05, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »
I am so glad I don't want them!!!  Most of the "rare" posters I own were bought before a movie came out, but in this case, I wouldn't touch them.

T
My Personal Collection

Mirosae

« Reply #6473 on: September 05, 2014, 12:55:06 PM »
You guys are making me curious. Need to Google the poster now. ...One can't never have her tea in peace ....

Off to Google land to check what the heck you talking about ;D

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #6474 on: September 05, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »

I am absolutely saying that they might be since the listed measurements didn't seem precise enough.  Bruce has sold other 'smaller' versions in the past, and had noted the difference at the time. I was surprised that they didn't clarify the description in these auctions, since Bruce usually errs on the side of caution...

I have a suncoast poster for the movie 29th Street - so it wasn't just blockbusters.  I remember seeing the Pitt and Norton Advances there as well.  They also sold lobby cards - Dracula and Nightmare Before Christmas are ones that I remember.  I am certain that the NBC have been sold as originals since then - even though they never reached US theaters. 

That thread was born out of a much longer discussion (mid-auction thread maybe?)...