Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2857880 times)

Mirosae

Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7175 on: March 30, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »
That is a very pretty one. But it sort of misses the point... :P...where is that actor...Uhm  Humphrey Bogart?..no?  ;)

Mirosae

« Reply #7176 on: March 30, 2015, 03:51:48 PM »
So am I the only one who actually won something?  I find that hard to believe.

T

I heard there were other lucky winners..... :)

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7177 on: March 30, 2015, 03:56:18 PM »
There were a lot of crazy prices...I was underbidder a few times...I cant believe how much some of the lobby cards sold for....The White Zombie card nearly doubled its previous price at nearly $15,000!!...and that Mummy's Tomb card landed $7100....Those Casablanca cards were also a way over the top result..especially for the condition...overall...I think posters from the 1930's and 1940'd did very well...I was surprised to see the the DTESS title card sell for the exact same amount as the CFTBL half sheet & insert as well as the FP half sheet at $3346...kind of weird
Tait

Offline keith

• Beginner
« Reply #7178 on: March 30, 2015, 04:03:46 PM »
I was the underbidder on a few items. I won this ON THE WATERFRONT Italian 4 - Foglio. (No clue if I included the link and image properly, I barely know how to use this forum despite my constant lurking.)

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/academy-award-winner/on-the-waterfront-columbia-1954-italian-4-foglio-55-x-7775-/a/7106-86068.s

Mirosae

« Reply #7179 on: March 30, 2015, 04:04:29 PM »
There were a lot of crazy prices...I was underbidder a few times...I cant believe how much some of the lobby cards sold for....The White Zombie card nearly doubled its previous price at nearly $15,000!!...and that Mummy's Tomb card landed $7100....Those Casablanca cards were also a way over the top result..especially for the condition...overall...I think posters from the 1930's and 1940'd did very well...I was surprised to see the the DTESS title card sell for the exact same amount as the CFTBL half sheet & insert as well as the FP half sheet at $3346...kind of weird

Yes. The Casablanca LC  sold rather well. To be honest they did a good job with the description too. Not that i need them to explain the film or sell the LC to me..they are preaching to the choir.. but their description just gave you that extra craving....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:04:57 PM by Mirosae »

Mirosae

« Reply #7180 on: March 30, 2015, 04:05:49 PM »
I was the underbidder on a few items. I won this ON THE WATERFRONT Italian 4 - Foglio. (No clue if I included the link and image properly, I barely know how to use this forum despite my constant lurking.)

http://movieposters.ha.com/itm/academy-award-winner/on-the-waterfront-columbia-1954-italian-4-foglio-55-x-7775-/a/7106-86068.s

Ohhhhh love this one...congrats!!!! And what a fantastic film!!

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7181 on: March 30, 2015, 04:17:20 PM »
Agreed!!...Ballester is clearly one of the greatest poster artists..and he had such great films to inspire the artwork and sometimes his art is better than the film!!....could you imagine what he could do for modern film posters instead of these retched photo montages??...
Tait

Mirosae

« Reply #7182 on: March 30, 2015, 04:25:43 PM »
That's a great question Tait. Ballester was a genius. I would probably be buying HIS Pretty Woman poster or....uhm...yes..even the Ballester ' s  Star Wars  posters...  :P hehe

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7183 on: March 30, 2015, 04:37:35 PM »
So true, Tait.

If a Ballester were around today... he would knock them out of the park, with not only his briiliant brush work, but also his ability to capture a moment or add a certain eye catching element, such as was done with the Waterfront foglio.

It would put the photo shopped and cut 'n pasted stuff done today, let alone the run of the mil portrait posters, to ultimate shame.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7184 on: March 30, 2015, 04:40:15 PM »

Congrats Keith!!

Now that is Just a stunner!

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7185 on: March 30, 2015, 05:01:40 PM »
Really great poster Keith!

Congrats on the purchase! 

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #7186 on: March 30, 2015, 05:11:58 PM »
Yes, great poster Keith. I have a self-imposed ban on purchasing 4-foglio posters because of their size - if not I would definitely want this one in my collection.

Mark

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7187 on: March 30, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »
Agreed with everyone else.... congrats on the Ballester!  Go big or go home!  :)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7188 on: March 30, 2015, 05:28:15 PM »
I have been waiting for a near mint folded copy of that Ballester.  No luck so far.  It's a great poster.  When/if I see it, I will buy it immediately. 

Nice.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7189 on: March 30, 2015, 05:40:52 PM »
Did Hammet win the LAM one sheet?  Maye there's just him and another power collector who competed for the frankie 3 sh, King kong, LAMs...  so really, the only reason the prices are over 100K to begin with comes down to two individuals.  

that's always the way it is with uber-expensive items in all fields

at $500 there are 100 bidders
at $1000 there are 20 bidders
at $5000 there are 3 bidders

always worked that way and always will, until everyone in the world has the same amount of money

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7190 on: March 30, 2015, 07:16:18 PM »
I have a question, since I don't buy linen.  How can a linen poster be in Fine+ condition?  It's already on linen, it has already been fixed, shouldn't it be in VF condition?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7191 on: March 30, 2015, 07:38:22 PM »
T...it seems that Heritage grades the very best condition linen backed items (where only very minor restoration has been done) at about 7.5...it wouldn't surprise me if they "recommend" that consigned posters be linenbacked below that grade..which they clearly have in house restoration services with Jaime..how much consigned material goes that path??  who knows...but there are a lot of restored posters in their auctions..and anything around an 8 or above is usually a folded condition that is unrestored..
Tait

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7192 on: March 30, 2015, 07:43:12 PM »
Sigh, I could've been a contender...

So any regrets? 

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7193 on: March 30, 2015, 07:45:50 PM »
I regret that Marked Woman title card. What an awesome use of space and image. I would have gone for it if I didn't have the one sheet already. Couldn't justify the moolah.

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7194 on: March 30, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »
And the one sheet ain't too shabby, so that helps.  :P

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7195 on: March 30, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »
So am I the only one who actually won something?  I find that hard to believe.

T

I bid on 4 posters and lost all of them.   :'(

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #7196 on: March 30, 2015, 07:58:56 PM »
Which four?  I know you have good taste :). Pardon my nosiness.

Mirosae

« Reply #7197 on: March 31, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »
Sold at HA for nearly £600. Hope it is back to the UK. I love this one...not a film poster but... thumbsup.gif

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7198 on: March 31, 2015, 09:06:55 PM »
Which four?  I know you have good taste :). Pardon my nosiness.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7199 on: March 31, 2015, 09:29:31 PM »
First one today.  Finally!!!  ROLLED, very fine.

Was looking into the French Gilda but a friend of mine warned me that the condition is really bad.  Completely redone from top to bottom.

T

My, my, my...what a lovely poster.
 cheers