Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2832014 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10700 on: July 12, 2021, 07:21:06 PM »
Italy only wins on penalties, and usually by cheating.

There, I said it!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #10701 on: July 13, 2021, 03:08:27 AM »
Italy only wins on penalties, and usually by cheating.

There, I said it!

T

Agree, but at least they run and go forward, not like the French ones :)
Only reason I was for Italia is because English crowd shouldn't boo anthems and they did  (I know I look like a patriotic rightist, whatever it is, but I am not)... England was too confident, they expected a win.
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10702 on: August 03, 2021, 09:10:00 PM »
Zowie! That Frankenstein lobby...$87,500. Phew!
Anyone know who ozziebeancakes and bacula are? Wowzer!
By comparison, I sold a poster for $85. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #10703 on: August 03, 2021, 10:20:44 PM »
The argentinean Barbarella was a surprise. I sold one like that for less than half of the final price, and thought I've made a great deal...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10704 on: August 03, 2021, 11:50:57 PM »
As I thought, I missed it all.  Time with family is more important than any posters. 

I just checked the result, and maybe I'm wrong, but they look a little bit on the lower side of what I expected, at least for the ones I was initially interested in.  I always wonder if having two back to back major auctions (HA and Emp) is a good practice.  There is just so much money pout there for posters, and not allowing collectors to rebuild their pocket books is a mistake, imo.  There are 52 weeks a year.  Why have them back to back?  Is it ego?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10705 on: August 04, 2021, 12:53:47 AM »
Back to back should be fine.  Most important is to have the largest font size...
Is this ego?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10706 on: August 04, 2021, 02:15:41 AM »
Funny! 

But to the point, let’s say I spent $20k at HA a week ago.  It’s $20k I don’t necessarily have for Emovie a week later, especially if I don’t want my wife to know about it.  If the same sale happens a month later, then I can find new ways to hide it from her.  This is all to make a point of course.

T
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10707 on: August 04, 2021, 03:09:57 AM »
Why have them back to back?  Is it ego?

How could it be anything but? (which is silly given the relative size if you compare them).
I'm sure they will both say that their auctions are planned out far in advance, but we already know HA has a Spring, Summer, and Thanksgiving Signature every year, and looking at the Emovie Calendar they will have their December Major open the week after the HA auction closes.
If anything, they should try to get out in front of the HA auctions, instead of following the rear, but that will probably take you harping on him endlessly before he listens.
Kind of like when I used to say that Emovie should do previews of their major auctions, because if they were that big you want to let people know what is coming so they can save up instead of just giving them a week to get everything in order. Bruce finally listened to that one and now their previews are a regular (and good) thing.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10708 on: August 04, 2021, 03:26:16 AM »
Here's what Bruce had to say on the topic the last time it was brought up over a decade ago about major auctions being held so close together, if anyone is interested.
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1990
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #10709 on: August 04, 2021, 08:36:19 AM »
Well, I want everyone to know if they are looking for a Rear Window RR for $800+ - I might be your man… If I can find it.

I thought again prices were up. If you go by Ts Night Tide Index, it sold for $650.

White Christmas (I always consider picking up Pre holiday) sold for an all time high at $1600…

I was determined to get the flat Godfather as I think these were printed up with the advances and the shiny ones for primary distribution. Paid silly money but was required to compete with whomever wanted it too.

Several of the stills went for more than I thought.

We must be having different targets but then Universal Horror was never and interest of mine.

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10710 on: August 04, 2021, 09:38:56 AM »
That was a friendly thread, I don' see any ego issue there :D
10 years down the line, your advice is now applied and a regular routine.  thumbsup.gif

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10711 on: August 04, 2021, 11:42:56 AM »
That was a friendly thread, I don' see any ego issue there :D
10 years down the line, your advice is now applied and a regular routine.  thumbsup.gif

I guess T is still the only overlapping buyer between HA and Emovie, so Bruce will just have to keep his fingers crossed that he doesn't spend $20K at HA so he has that money available for Emovie (if he can ever remember when their auctions close).
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10712 on: August 04, 2021, 12:56:50 PM »
I guess T is still the only overlapping buyer between HA and Emovie, so Bruce will just have to keep his fingers crossed that he doesn't spend $20K at HA so he has that money available for Emovie (if he can ever remember when their auctions close).

You're right, at the end of the day, I am a very very small fish, and my opinion doesn't even matter to those guys,  If I was buying $80k lobby cards or Casablanca posters, maybe I'd carry more weight.  But for what it's worth, it's still my opinion that two big sales within a week of each other is not savvy business.

T
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10713 on: August 04, 2021, 01:36:01 PM »
  But for what it's worth, it's still my opinion that two big sales within a week of each other is not savvy business.

T

I don't know where the "like" button is for posts, but I agreed with you a decade ago and still do now.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #10714 on: August 05, 2021, 09:44:46 PM »
Let me say this before any of you can:

What totally MISERABLE results in Part II. A couple of things did OK, but most everything else bombed.

Obviously it was a combination of being in August, and being right after the best auction in the world.

I will try to do much better next time.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10715 on: August 05, 2021, 09:46:06 PM »
It bombed? I didn't notice. I got a few things, but wasn't watching everything. There's still Part 3. Good luck.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #10716 on: August 05, 2021, 10:21:06 PM »
It bombed? I didn't notice. I got a few things, but wasn't watching everything. There's still Part 3. Good luck.

I think he was being sarcastic - the auction isn’t even over yet…

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #10717 on: August 05, 2021, 10:26:06 PM »
I bet Monster knew sarcasm when he saw it, and just played along!

Every major auction there are a bunch of posts saying how awful my auction did and why, and I just wanted to get the ball rolling!
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10718 on: August 05, 2021, 10:27:11 PM »
Sorry to hear, Bruce.  That sucks, especially for your consignors.  Oh well, live and learn I guess.  Next time, move it to September, when you don’t have to compete against the best auction in the world and people are not on vacation.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10719 on: August 05, 2021, 10:30:16 PM »
Sorry to hear, Bruce.  That sucks, especially for your consignors.  Oh well, live and learn I guess.  Next time, move it to September, when you don’t have to compete against the best auction in the world and people are not on vacation.

PS: Today, I bid on a boat.  My wife was not happy.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #10720 on: August 05, 2021, 10:35:29 PM »

T

Let me guess. You missed it yet again. On the toilet after eating bad clams?

;D :D :) ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10721 on: August 05, 2021, 10:42:55 PM »
1. I hate clams.
2. I don’t use my phone on the toilet.
3. I am constipated.
4. I won a couple of things, but I missed on most bc of bad reception.
5. I would love to hear why it is so important for you to have your sale a week after HA.  Whenever you get a chance.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #10722 on: August 05, 2021, 10:51:03 PM »
1. I hate clams.
2. I don’t use my phone on the toilet.
3. I am constipated.
4. I won a couple of things, but I missed on most bc of bad reception.
5. I would love to hear why it is so important for you to have your sale a week after HA.  Whenever you get a chance.

T

How come you never ask THEM why they insist on theirs a week BEFORE mine? :)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10723 on: August 05, 2021, 11:34:08 PM »
My comment wasn’t specifically addressed to you, but since you come in second, you’re an easier target. Do you and Grey ever talk?  Hey, I’m having my major auction at the end of July, mine at the beginning of August, how about a little breathing room.  I mean, you two own the market.  A little pow wow from time to time can go a long way, even between rivals.

T
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10724 on: August 06, 2021, 11:36:07 AM »
How come you never ask THEM why they insist on theirs a week BEFORE mine? :)

I think it's so that they can suck $2million+ out of the market right before your auction so your results aren't as good.

But hey, you had what...1500+ items end at $20 or less this past week, and that's what is most important, right?
Being able to brag that you sell more things for less money than anyone, not trying to set up your auctions to get the most money for your consignors.
And at your 50-75% commission on those items, that's probably $10K gross for you on those items alone - more than I made last week, so you are doing something right.

As for "the single most desirable lobby card there is", I know Carmen is very pleased. He wasn't the only who was convinced he would have to pay six figures for that card.
www.Kaijuposters.com