Author Topic: Any known sources for Italian posters?  (Read 19648 times)

Disheveledamethyst

Any known sources for Italian posters?
« on: May 21, 2011, 01:49:56 AM »
WHY IS MY LIFE SO DIFFICULT

So I've been looking at posters for the Dollars Trilogy lately and really want something on this series. My country-of-origin rule points me towards Italian posters, which I've found to have some quite striking artwork I'm very fond of. But Italian posters are very difficult to pinpoint. I'm not aware of any Italian dealers, collectors, or retail websites. The only sales I've found have been in eMovie archives.

And because my entire life is an endless exercise of the phrase "double-standard", I'm also looking for a Fistful of Dollars daybill. Why is my life difficult? Because I make it difficult. Man, I suck at this, don't I?

1. Where does one find Italian paper?
2. Fistful of Daybills!

EDIT: To clarify, I do mean Daybills, not Locandinas. Daybills are my favorite size paper.
SECOND EDIT: First releases only!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:13:53 AM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Any known sources for Italian posters?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:09:58 AM »
Locandina or daybill?  The former is Italian, the later is Australian...

Regardless, I buy Italian posters too and it is an exercise in patience between eMovie, HA and eBay.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 09:57:53 AM »
If you are going for original release Italian paper on the Dollars Trilogy be prepared to sell an organ or something similarly important to your continued existence!

And the daybill (provided you mean daybill and not locandina) can be found but again patience must be preached.   The For a Few Dollars More daybill is more common (and less expensive generally) but good luck to you sir in finding an original release Good, Bad, Ugly daybill anywhere!
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:06:33 AM »
Have you got one you could post Chris...
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »
I THINK we have a Good the Bad and the Ugly locandina coming up in our mini/major auction!

I will have to check when I get back to work to make sure.

Bruce

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 10:51:06 AM »
I THINK we have a Good the Bad and the Ugly locandina coming up in our mini/major auction!

I will have to check when I get back to work to make sure.

Bruce

Sweet stuff, Bruce. I'll keep an eye out! It's on my watch list.

And I do mean daybill, everybody. Despite the fact that I "only collect movie posters in their language of origin", I also collect daybills for some inexplicable reason. I love them. They're the perfect size and always look good in close proximity to one another. I'm working on a sort of display of multiple daybills and a Leone Western would fit very well with what I have in mind.

Granted, a Locandina is about the same size, but also what I expect to be much rarer. So if I can't find something from Italy, I'll break my rule for a daybill.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 11:13:16 AM »
http://www.cinemart.net

http://www.misterposter.com

http://www.intercardsrl.com

http://www.kinoart.net (in Germany but has lots of Italians)

I've spent the last hour or so looking through these websites. They yielded a wealth of results I otherwise had zero luck finding, and all at fantastically reasonable prices (or perhaps I overestimated what I wanted to spend). Unfortunately, there are no first-release Italians/Daybills for sale. I've bookmarked them all in hopes of a catalog update. Thank you, though.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 11:39:35 AM »
I've spent the last hour or so looking through these websites. They yielded a wealth of results I otherwise had zero luck finding, and all at fantastically reasonable prices (or perhaps I overestimated what I wanted to spend). Unfortunately, there are no first-release Italians/Daybills for sale. I've bookmarked them all in hopes of a catalog update. Thank you, though.

Daybills are like the hobbits of the poster world - very odd and small....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 11:54:48 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
Que, Chris......
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
Another lover of the daybill is born!

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!  And Boooo (more competition).

The dollars trilogy daybils are hard to come by, but shall keep my eyes open for yer.
Just to tease here is how fabulous they look up on MY wall!

What about a Leone Once Upon a time in the west instead?

Ves

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 10:17:59 PM »
The dollars trilogy daybils are hard to come by, but shall keep my eyes open for yer.

Thats awesome. Jealous I am.

Offline Silence

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 10:44:50 PM »
I love all the posters from the dollars trilogy. I'm partial to the Italian stuff. These are some from my collection.

Mike

MICHAEL

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 11:14:57 PM »

You are killing me Mike... the has got to be hands-down the best Eastwood poster ever printed.  clap clap clap clap clap clap

By the way, do you know the deal with the brown border vs. pink border for this poster?  Is one an earlier printing?  I think I read that the white silhouette posters were the first posters printed, and then these more traditional montage posters came about towards the end of the original release. 

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
Note to self, add mike's house to the ransack list.

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 11:31:45 PM »

I've always loved and wanted those on the right...so if you ever get sick of them, they will find a much loving home with me!

My only italian from the 70s re-release, huge muthaplucka:
Ves

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 12:05:53 AM »
Another lover of the daybill is born!

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!  And Boooo (more competition).

What about a Leone Once Upon a time in the west instead?

Those are exactly the daybills I want! Grr to you! But thank you for keeping your eyes open, I'm still on the look out. As far as the Once Upon a Time in the West, I haven't watched it yet, but I really like the daybill as well. I've only ever come across the black and white one though.

In regards to Mike, as I've stated numerous times, your collection is like walking into the Louvre of movie posters. Truly magnificent, if I may say.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:06:41 AM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 12:14:05 AM »
See OUATITW soonest. Greatest Western of all time. And one of the greatest films of all time.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 12:17:09 AM »
I fell asleep about 30 mins in...but in my defence, I was EXTREMELY tired and not really in the mood for it when we watched it.
Is on my every growing list of things to see.  One day
Ves

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 12:23:49 AM »
See OUATITW soonest. Greatest Western of all time. And one of the greatest films of all time.

Don't worry, it's on my list. I realized a few weeks ago that in my twenty years of existence I had only seen three westerns. One was 2010's True Grit, and the other was Rango (if you even count Rango, because it's just Chinatown with a western motif), and the other was Shane - which I barely remember watching.

This revelation was both staggering and unbelievable, and I racked my brain and scrolled through Top 10/50/100 lists to try to remind myself of other Westerns I had seen.

I mean, surely I had seen something in passing, or I was forgetting something. But I continually came up with nothing. In my entire history of watching movies, only three of them had been Westerns. I punished myself violently for this crime against cinema. I promised to my family I would find retribution and alleviate the burdensome shame I had brought upon all of us. I packed by bags and headed west.

I have a list. It's a long list, but I'm gaining ground.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 12:29:20 AM »
Go for THE WILD BUNCH also, after you get a taste seek DJANGO, and KEOMA, if your hooked then theres a zillion obscure ones that are lots of fun.
An Error Has Occurred!

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 12:32:51 AM »
Go for THE WILD BUNCH also, after you get a taste seek DJANGO, and KEOMA, if your hooked then theres a zillion obscure ones that are lots of fun.

A intelligent and respectable cinephile friend of mine recommended that an effective marathon would be Stagecoach, The Yellow Ribbon, The Searchers, and then watch Unforgiven. He says you can watch the entire arc of the Western begin and end with those four movies. I've yet to watch any of them, because I don't want to really watch the "death of the western" while I'm still witnessing the fruits of its peak period.

I don't know what KEOMA is, but Wild Bunch and the first Django are on my list.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 01:02:03 AM »
Searchers is awsome.
I prefer the "tougher" westerns, so for me I prefer the European over the US ones, with a few exceptions.
Keomo is considered marking the end of the Spaghetti Western Era, made by the always FANTASTIC Enzo G Castellari, starring Franco Nero, a really awsome film.
Cut Throats 9 is another of my favourites.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline idioteque

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 01:32:06 AM »
Amazing collection Mike. Wonderful to see.

I love all the posters from the dollars trilogy. I'm partial to the Italian stuff. These are some from my collection.

Mike

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 09:25:12 PM »
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but wondering if anyone can add to the very short list of websites to find Italian posters that Mel posted.  I not too long ago asked about the whereabouts of Misterposter.com, they are now back and running but according to the person who returned my email they are working on updating their catalog, and the poster I was looking at there is no longer available. 

http://www.intercardsrl.com seems to be the holy grail of everything I'm looking for (which happens to center around Marisa Mell and Barbara Bouchet).  Of course the caveat is I've read they are notoriously bad at returning emails, and I'm talking months you won't hear back!  So if they're that lazy I have a feeling everything I'm interested in off their site is probably also no longer available. 

So I've been limited to eBay as well, and only once a month does something good ever come along, surely there's more Italian vendors with websites out there!?!