Author Topic: Reversing the linen-back process...  (Read 4623 times)

Disheveledamethyst

Reversing the linen-back process...
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:36:07 PM »
I don't like the idea of linen-backing a poster that isn't completely destroyed. Every once and a while I come across a poster I want that has been linen-backed for seemingly no reason but to remove the fold lines. In my opinion, this compromises the poster greatly and I hardly consider it collectible. Of course linen-backing has its place, but I'm talking strictly about a poster that has not been damaged and therefore not restored.

But there is a poster I'm looking very hard for and the only one I can find as of now has been linen-backed, but not restored in any way. I know that linen-backing is supposedly reversable, but I have read numerous times that it really isn't and in most cases the poster will need to be mounted again.

But considering the fact that this poster has not been restored, just backed, I was wondering how a poster like this would fair if I had it un-backed. How much would something like that cost? Is it something I could do on my own? Has any crazy maverick attempted this before?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Reversing the linen-back process...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »
When you consider that backing and un-backing a poster both involve placing the piece in water (and the second time to dissolve the water based wheat paste adhesive), this simply adds stress to the paper. The poster will never appear as it did before it was backed, let alone being submerged and hydrated a second time. I know Dario can address this better. Why not just wait for an unbacked copy to come along?

-Jeff

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:00:59 PM »
I certainly plan to, but if it could theoretically be reversed without damaging the paper I was entertaining the idea. When I ask questions like these I'm more looking for an answer to keep me from wondering than anything else. :)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »
Just leave it backed if you intend on buying it.  I get the argument about purity etc but "once it's backed it can never go completely back"...

From an aesthetic point of view it will be very displayable if the backing was done well. 

I would only unback a poster in order to reback it properly.
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I think if you unback it, the poster size has now probably slightly changed (stretched), if poster is an older piece you might find one of the folded segment is actually detached due to handling during backing, also as part of backing, the ink stamp on the reverse would have been sanded off to prevent bleed thru  

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »
Thank you all for weighing in. You've been very helpful.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 06:49:36 PM »
id wait for another to show up, patience my good friend..

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 07:06:41 PM »
Every once and a while I come across a poster I want that has been linen-backed for seemingly no reason but to remove the fold lines. In my opinion, this compromises the poster greatly and I hardly consider it collectible.

Very nicely put.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:28:47 PM »
As said linen backing isn't REALLY reversible. you can un-back it, but needs to be re-backed again.
Although there was talk about an alternative method a couple of years back on NS4, which Dario was experimenting with. I'll try and find the thread.
I have a few backed items, one that needed it, one that I bought backed, which didn't, but it was cheaper than an unbacked one, and I like the artwork (Burn Witch Burn US 1 Sheet), one was a gift from a restorer for my birthday. And a few Danish posters that are terribly backed, but less than $5 each, I didn't care, just tack them to my wall.

I prefer unbacked, unless it needs it. I love paper.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 11:30:03 PM »
OK heres the thread, wonder what happened to this process..???

http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/767/another-conservation-process

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 12:32:18 AM »
Interesting read there, Ari.
Now, what about paper-backing?  I've brought this up a number of times because I have a few brittle, older posters that could use some work. Should I go with linen or paper? So far, no one has responded.  Is that because no one here has anything paper-backed?
Sam from Empire Posters participated in a MoPo thread several months ago about the benefits of paper over linen.  Apparently, linen is stronger than the poster paper it is adhered to and will eventually pull or stretch the poster.  Paper shouldn't have the same effect.
I have seen a few half sheets that have been paper-backed, but not one sheets.
If anyone out there has any info, please share it here.
I am more than mildly interested in the process and I wish I had saved that MoPo thread.
So, how about it? Anyone have any paper-backed one sheets?

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 12:40:25 AM »
USUALLY people back paperback lobby cards, window cards, inserts and half sheets, rather than 1 Sheets, as they are card stock, and seem to work better. Some people prefer it on 1 sheets, but its generally preferred to use linen.

PS you can search the mopo archives for the email you want at http://www.filmfan.com/

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 12:52:36 AM »
Gel-sizing and starchbacking are both still being used (I have seen some higher end pieces that have been gel-sized and prefer it to linenbacking myself), you just must request it when you send your piece in and have your restorer evaluate if it will work for your piece.

My understanding is that paperbacking is the preferable method by conservators worldwide and has been in use for much longer than linenbacking, but because of the rigidness of the finished product, most dealers prefer linenbacking for ease of storage and shipping.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 02:37:49 AM »
The sturdiness of linen also makes for easier handling of pieces that may be moved, rolled, shipped etc. Paper backing is more delicate and can be damaged if more care isnt taken when handling posters that have been conserved this way. Museums often use paper backing on one sheets. Paper is also used on heavier card stock items like window cards and lobby cards.

Linen backing is technically reversible. It is certainly possible to re-back a poster without too many problems. But if a poster is demounted, it will not return to its original condition.

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »
Thanks, guys.  You've answered a lot of questions that have been floating around in my noggin.

Mirosae

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »
After reading this...I am not very clear whether reversing the LB (to have it done again properly this time) will or not damage the poster...has anyone done this?  can it be done to achieve better results?

Or best to move on and buy another poster...but the idea is pondering...

have  you done it..and were you pleased...with the results?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »
After reading this...I am not very clear whether reversing the LB (to have it done again properly this time) will or not damage the poster...has anyone done this?  can it be done to achieve better results?

Or best to move on and buy another poster...but the idea is pondering...

have  you done it..and were you pleased...with the results?

As long as a poster is re-backed in some fashion, this should be no problem, and is done with regularity, either to correct previously done work, replace older backings etc. Options are always there as to the kind of backing desired, too, whether it be linen, paper, gel or the like.

And for posters that are less common or rarer, it would be better to re-back them, as another copy may not be found for quite some time.

:D

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 03:44:03 PM »
I see..Thanks Jeff, this is gooooood neeeews happy1