Author Topic: Strange classification - what is it?  (Read 3225 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Strange classification - what is it?
« on: February 21, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »
Back in 1995, my late wife was fairly active on the old usenet group that proceeded MOPO.  She became involved with a plan to 'create' a new legitimate poster with several other members and dealers.  What they decided on was a Forbidden Planet half sheet.

As the plan evolved, they had a high quality litho created, supposedly from legitimate masters.  They even contacted the NSS (or what was left of it by then) and had a number assigned - NSS 9503-56.  They then made a limited run of 100 posters and displayed a couple at an arthouse showing of the movie.  Supposedly, this was sufficient to make this a legitimate re-release poster.

I've had this since it was printed in 1995.  Not interested in getting rid of it, as it has that sentimental attachment.  I've been more than a little curious as to how to classify it though.  Is this fan art, reproduction, pirated or legitimate re-release? 

I don't think it is pirated as it has never been represented as anything but what it is, but I am unsure beyond that.  Ideas?
-Jay-

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: Strange classification - what is it?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:56:42 PM »
 wow1
I`m not sure of the classification,,but i think that is a Gem,,wonderful.

Stew

agentprovocateur

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 03:45:12 PM »
Well I classify is as AWESOME mesmrized

Not sure if that's a legitimate classification but true!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »
It's a difficult one, if the poster was used to advertise a film show at a cinema, I'm all for calling it a re-release.  Nice one jayn_j
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »
Back in 1995, my late wife was fairly active on the old usenet group that proceeded MOPO.  She became involved with a plan to 'create' a new legitimate poster with several other members and dealers.  What they decided on was a Forbidden Planet half sheet.

As the plan evolved, they had a high quality litho created, supposedly from legitimate masters.  They even contacted the NSS (or what was left of it by then) and had a number assigned - NSS 9503-56.  They then made a limited run of 100 posters and displayed a couple at an arthouse showing of the movie.  Supposedly, this was sufficient to make this a legitimate re-release poster.

I've had this since it was printed in 1995.  Not interested in getting rid of it, as it has that sentimental attachment.  I've been more than a little curious as to how to classify it though.  Is this fan art, reproduction, pirated or legitimate re-release?  

I don't think it is pirated as it has never been represented as anything but what it is, but I am unsure beyond that.  Ideas?

Very nice.  I'd say it's a special re-release poster and/or a re-creation poster similar to what the S2 Art Group did.

In fact I wish the S2 Art Group had recreated the Forbidden Planet - don't think they have.

Here's the original half sheet:

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 02:33:47 PM »
I dont see it as any different from the Alamo stuff, when they may have screenings, but really we all know the point of the posters is to sell.
Anyone ever bought a theatre used alamo poster?

Commercial poster partly used in conjunction with a limited screening? Maybe the ones USED at the screening are the real RE-ISSUES?

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 08:40:18 PM »
I guess I solved my own mystery.  I unframed the poster for the first time since we got it in 1995 and found a logo for filmprints, inc.  A quick web search turned up: http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/newsite/index/articles/filmprints.asp

Please note folks, I was never representing it as anything original, only the story as related to me.  I also clearly stated that I was not (and still not) interested in selling.

Thanks everyone for the help.
-Jay-

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
Commercial poster partly used in conjunction with a limited screening? Maybe the ones USED at the screening are the real RE-ISSUES?

OK, I'll buy that, and the actual issue is moot.  But it does bring up an interesting point about where you draw the line.  Why is an unfolded pre-77 without pinholes worth more?  It basically means that the poster never hung in a theater as everything was sent folded back then and thumbtacks were the norm.  By the same token, 98% of all modern posters are never intended to go to a theater, but go directly into the resale market.  We still consider them 'original', and spend mucho time trying to ferret out impostors that weren't printed by the original printing firm.
-Jay-

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »
I actually asked this question a few years ago, as i have the original transparency used to print a reasonably sought after poster  - sent to me by one of the producers. Nothing major but a poster that sells for $100+ and sells easily, as they didn't print many, and it has great art.

So, if i had a small screening, printed a hundred posters, used ten, ALL WITH THE INTENTION of selling the other 90.

The screening is 2nd in order as far as profits would go.

So a poster that is made to advertise the movie screening, Vs a movie that is screened to help sell a poster.

Or what if I DID use them all, as wildings etc, then after a day or 2, ran around and removed them all, took them home. And then sold after the screening.
(or if I missed some and they went to collectors hands)

All just food for thought.

PS- a lot of Polish posters I would put in a similar category. Printed for a small film society screening, they might only use a few, the rest are for sale.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!