Author Topic: Inception IMAX poster  (Read 2518 times)

Disheveledamethyst

Inception IMAX poster
« on: February 26, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »
So I saw an auction for an Inception IMAX poster for only $25, and I've had a reasonably tough time finding it, so I jumped on it. The description insisted it was original and offered me a money back guarantee so I felt pretty good about it. The guy had incredible feedback and had sold thousands and thousands of items so there was nothing outstanding that would stir up any concern.

Then I ran a search on his name here and Thierry says this guy sells a lot of fakes and recommends not doing business with him. Naturally, I'm nervous and suspicious. The poster hasn't come yet, but I was very excited for it (mainstream or not I loved that movie, sometimes it's cool to like popular things too) and I want to know how tentative I should be about this. Has anybody else done business with Tloceposters?

Here is the ended auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=370486747145&si=JKvOX9YLqZQYo3V1NEFbI6r%252FbZg%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_959

Any input would be appreciated.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Re: Inception IMAX poster
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:25:25 AM »
At best, it is a wilding poster, meant for non-theatrical use.  At worst, it's a reprint/bootleg.  Considering the fact that this seller is one of the most notorious scumbags in the hobby, you'll either likely never know or find that it isn't worth the effort to find out.  Search for 'Minty White' for more.

I wouldn't give him a dime on principle alone, even if he had one of my 'grails' - which he did at one point.

Respect the Prof!!!

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:50:26 AM »
Ugh. How depressing. I've never even heard of wilding posters, I have to worry about this now too? This hobby is hard, it's almost impossible to find somebody not trying to rip me off. I read up on Minty Whites like you said and now I'm pretty sure my Roger Rabbit poster that I paid $55 is a repro too.

I guess I'll have to get a better look when the poster comes in, but I'm already not feeling good about this.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 12:53:59 PM »
I would say you have 80% chances it is a reprint.  I don't think it's a wilding poster, for the simple reason that I have never seen this poster on a construction site, and I live in Los Angeles, the capital of advertising.  I more worried about the fact that the poster is single sided.  This poster was printed in much smaller quantities that the other styles, and I've never seen a SS version for sale before.  Since Inception was a gigantic hit, I'm sure this poster has been reprinted, and like Archie said, this scumbag seller has access to crap like that.

Now regarding Roger Rabbit, did you buy that blue poster I told you about?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 01:16:32 PM »
Los Angeles, the capital of advertising.

New York/London more like.  qip

Anyway, one agrees with T on the 80% possibility statement.

Best,
Adam
Best wishes,
Adam

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:19:10 PM »
I would say you have 80% chances it is a reprint.  I don't think it's a wilding poster, for the simple reason that I have never seen this poster on a construction site, and I live in Los Angeles, the capital of advertising.  I more worried about the fact that the poster is single sided.  This poster was printed in much smaller quantities that the other styles, and I've never seen a SS version for sale before.  Since Inception was a gigantic hit, I'm sure this poster has been reprinted, and like Archie said, this scumbag seller has access to crap like that.

Now regarding Roger Rabbit, did you buy that blue poster I told you about?

T

Crap, I didn't even realize it was Single Sided. How could I overlook that? I feel like a fool. I know they wouldn't have printed this single sided. I'm returning it for sure...

As for Roger Rabbit, I currently have two blue ones in my possession. One is folded, one is rolled. I also have a regular white one, which I'm really suspecting to be fake that I would like to verify the authenticity of.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 01:41:23 PM »
FUN FACT: If you preemptively inquire with Tloce if his posters are fake he gives you your money back and asks you to return the poster "if possible". Good to know if anybody wants free reprints. :P