Author Topic: Film Poster at Wikipedia  (Read 3277 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Film Poster at Wikipedia
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:28:32 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_poster

I thought it was pretty accurate.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Film Poster at Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:50:24 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_poster

I thought it was pretty accurate.

T

By chance, I made several edits to that article last week, clarified some language, added some parts, etc.  

We should all start editing it, add other countries' sizes, add this forum as a link, etc.

It's incredibly annoying it's entitled "film posters" which is the British term.  The US dominates the movie industry and there are 300 million Americans who say "movie poster."  There's a big fight about the name in the discussion section.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:04:38 PM »
whatabout India, Japan, France, Italy, the Philippines, the Soviet Union, and Mexico? all of which produce more feature films than USA.

OR Australia that produced the first feature film... OR  French for having the first public exhibition of films.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:13:10 PM »
Well, I'm too lazy and I don't care enough to "work" at it, but Mel, you seem to have fun doing this kind of stuff, so you should really go at it, link this forum and your website.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:34:02 PM »
whatabout India, Japan, France, Italy, the Philippines, the Soviet Union, and Mexico? all of which produce more feature films than USA.

OR Australia that produced the first feature film... OR  French for having the first public exhibition of films.

But the issue is "film poster" vs. "movie poster."  "Movie poster" is much more common:

Google results for "movie posters" = 4.2 million search results

Google results for "film posters" - 600,000

Anyway, I didn't restart the fight, just added a clarification note on the page.

And Thierry, get off your ass (figuratively) and start editing!  You're the movie poster king/potentate/sultan, dude....

Matt

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:55:03 PM »
there are 300 million Americans who say "movie poster."

Did you ask the other 95.5% of the world's population what they say? ;)

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 05:17:01 AM »
OR Australia that produced the first feature film... OR  French for having the first public exhibition of films.

According to this, only India produced more features than the USA.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/med_fil_pro-media-films-produced
(not that I care either way, just pointing it out)
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
film poster...
movie poster....

what about cinema poster?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 03:55:13 AM »
I do think this is a country thing. The Americans are "Movie" People, and the Brits are "Film" people. Now the older people will say "Theatre", and the younger will say "Cinema". So depending on your age and where you were brought up, will alter what you say.

I always say Cinema posters, or Film posters.....U.K. born in the 60's. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 12:44:39 AM »
film poster...
movie poster....

what about cinema poster?

All 3 work and are used by people, in this country and elsewhere, without question.

-Jeff