Author Topic: posters you own, that you have only seen for sale once.  (Read 39011 times)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: posters you own, that you have only seen for sale once.
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 05:07:00 AM »
I love that Return of the Living Dead poster! So cool. I think there are two others that go with it...lovely posters!

Would there be a set of something similar for Volume 2?

Good question! If so, I've never seen them. Would be cool if there was.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 11:06:10 AM »
Jeff -  the poster is about 60x23, so I went with a frame from Robert at Spotlight Displays and I am very happy with it.

Tob - I am always looking for the other two ROTLD door panels so I can complete the set!
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »
Jeff -  the poster is about 60x23, so I went with a frame from Robert at Spotlight Displays and I am very happy with it.

Tob - I am always looking for the other two ROTLD door panels so I can complete the set!

They are called French pantalons, they are mainly used at cafes in Paris and major cities because they fit nicely in their windows.  These pop up on French EBay from time to time.  You shouldn't have much trouble completing your set.

T
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 03:01:18 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »
Some older Japanese posters (and even some more recent ones) are so rare that they are sometimes only offered once in many, many years. The reasons for this are small distributors and / or very limited releases.
Two examples from my collection are MILL OF THE STONE WOMEN and HORRIBLE DR. ORLOFF. Both by very small distributors.

Armin

LOVE these two armin!

I think these 5 Double Crowns were probably given out at the premier or something (they came in a yellow tube), but can't remember seeing another set for sale. They're not exactly handsome posters (that last one is literally a black stripe on a yellow background), so perhaps that's why! I like em though.

A Turkish one sheet for The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest...there's probably loads of them out there if you know where to look, but on the mainstream places I browse, I can't remember seeing another one up for sale (sorry for the dreadful photo)

the kill bills are awesome!!! they would look great framed up and mounted! i would do the text every other panel though hehe.
thats also a great poster for the girl that kicked the bin over!

I have only seen this Return of the Living Dead poster for sale once and snagged it. I will also add, I had an Escape From New York subway and Texas Chainsaw Massacre Media video poster (I sold both) and doubt I will ever see again.

i was going to say that this is the only poster so far i have seen for sale. although havent seen the accompanying panels or the uncut x2 version either.
great poster anyways, wish i had one!
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 02:59:23 PM »
This is one of my favs.  Kiss of Death (1947, French 47x63in, art by Soubie).  Bought it a few years back.  Never saw it before or after.

T
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 02:59:54 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 03:05:35 PM »
Wow great color in that one T!
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 05:07:12 PM »
Yeah, cracking.

What are the comparative year release dates between yours and this of a slightly different colour and content at the bottom of the poster?  For what I presume to be a Parisian seller of repute (I dunno), there is precious little information on year of release on his?

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Affiche-80x120-cm-entoilee-Carrefour-de-la-mort-Le-/262416342912?hash=item3d193b9f80:g:2DAAAOSwiYFXJxA7

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:14:19 AM by erik1925 »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 05:16:15 PM »
I have no idea, but the one you mentioned is pure crap, excuse my French.  It was for a later re-release and that's the only one you see for sale.  I think Heritage has sold a few.  The colors are way off, like it happens on so many French re-released posters.  And it is 80x120cm.  Mine is 120x160cm.

My picture above is a little cropped for some reasons.  Being 47x63in, my poster is a little wider.  I should take a better picture.

T
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:18:41 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 05:25:37 PM »
I have no idea, but the one you mentioned is pure crap, excuse my French.  It was for a later re-release and that's the only one you see for sale.  I think Heritage has sold a few.  The colors are way off, like it happens on so many French re-released posters.  And it is 80x120cm.  Mine is 120x160cm.

My picture above is a little cropped for some reasons.  Being 47x63in, my poster is a little wider.  I should take a better picture.

T

Really?  OK.

Anyway, yours is clearly the better of the two as the re-release colours are chiant.  Excuse my English.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 05:56:27 PM »
A few French 1st release posters are so rare most sellers don't even know they exist until one eventually pops up. 

Take my double panel French Gone with the Wind poster.  It is quite unique and probably the only copy out there.  The re-release, with faded colors, has been sold as an original for ever, because no one had ever seen the first printing.  No wrongdoing there.  If you put both of them side by side, the difference is flagrant, but if you've never seen the first one, the re-release looks great.  It happens a lot.

I'll post it later on.

T
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:57:53 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 07:59:22 PM »

the kill bills are awesome!!! they would look great framed up and mounted! i would do the text every other panel though hehe.

+1 wow
those KB are kill... er, killer  :-\

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2016, 09:16:54 PM »
So there you have it Simes... this is the difference between mine, the top one, and the reissue everyone has been selling as the original.  Aside from the sig at the top right, you can see the difference in coloring, from the horse to the explosions.  The blues really pop on mine.  It's even more fragrant in person.

I had never seen mine before I bought it, and never since.  French (92x126in, art by Soubie)

T
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:26:28 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2016, 09:26:45 PM »
T, that's beautiful and I love the intense color!

Any idea what year was the reissue produced?

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2016, 09:36:26 PM »
It's very hard to pinpoint a date on these because of the war.  The movie came out in 39 in the US but was not released in European markets until the late 40s, early 50s.  I'd guess mine is from a 1950 limited release and the reissue from 54.  Also, you have to remember that movies, and especially this one, played forever in a very very small amount of theaters.  2, 3 at most.  They probably expended at some point, but even IMDB would not know when for sure.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2016, 12:17:14 PM »
Interesting.

Cheers.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2016, 09:20:03 PM »
older members have seen these, but for the new people ill re-show.
I searched years for any paper on this title, more recently I snagged a set of UK lobby cards for the movie, but the quad is the best, never seen another, search online, the only reference is to this example.

the only hammer long daybill I have ever seen, find another...

2 films probably nobody here cares (much) about,
dont care ;)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2016, 10:45:54 PM »
Great looking pieces, Ari. That quad rocks!

On the long daybill, I see it reads: "A G-B-D Attraction"

Was this what Hammer was before it was called Hammer?

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2016, 10:54:34 PM »
that would be the distributor, (I think)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2016, 05:59:18 PM »
Posted this before in another thread.

1952 release of Laura, never seen another.

vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2016, 11:33:12 AM »
Going though my posters the last month found a few I forgot I had.

Came across this in my to do pile, can say I've seen one since...

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 11:33:41 AM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2016, 06:09:04 PM »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2016, 12:07:43 AM »
Some great posters in this thread!

I have a few where I have never noticed another copy for sale:

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2016, 12:12:39 AM »

Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2016, 12:14:03 AM »

Chris