Author Topic: USPS-ebay Shipping Label with an Address Error  (Read 8922 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
USPS-ebay Shipping Label with an Address Error
« on: January 30, 2016, 07:13:22 PM »
I had a parcel arrive today, but it got delayed by a day because of the following, and this is something Ive never seen before.

The parcel was delayed because the First Class USPS label (printed via ebay), had my street name partially shortened. I checked my Paypal and ebay account info, and the FULL street name is there. I also checked the Paypal summary of this transaction, and my full and correct address was sent to the seller.

I emailed the seller and asked. He said that all he did was print the label, that is likely generated automatically and based on the info he received from Paypal. I've had any number of parcels arrive with these same USPS-ebay labels, but have never seen this before.

Has anyone else? Seems like a hiccup or glitch. And its not as tho his printer didnt print the full street name, either.

Odd, for sure. Luckily, all worked out OK.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: USPS-ebay Shipping Label with an Address Error
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 08:57:51 PM »
they shortened a few addresses on me recently

I would think that if they were going to do so, that they would use a standardized format supplied by the USPS, as opposed to making a unilateral decision on their own

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 09:01:38 PM »
I mean, I can understand the classic abbreves like St, Pl, Ave, Dr Cr etc.

But when it comes to an actual street name, even with the correct zip code, things could get a little nutty, with parcels start going back to the station, (or back to senders) because the carrier cant find a street that doesnt even exist.

Yikes!!

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 12:10:12 AM »
And the question is... is it the USPS label printing software that is shortening street names? Or is due to the ebay/Paypal tie in?

If one's shipping info is complete & correct on both one's Paypal and ebay accounts, but the seller is "spit out" a shipping label (that he/she prints out) with a truncated street name, who is responsible for that mistake? The USPS?

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 12:13:31 AM »
I sent something to a person in Peachtree Corners, it was abbreviated to Peachtrcor

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 12:22:00 AM »
I sent something to a person in Peachtree Corners, it was abbreviated to Peachtrcor

OH MAN!   Doh.gif

Whats curious, too, Rich, is that in the last several months, I have had a handful of parcels arrive with these USPS-ebay First Class labels and have not seen this truncated issue before. Today was the first.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:23:17 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 12:35:31 PM »
yes I just moved and added my new address to ebay.  It would not allow me to add my street name as such "All Saints Street"  it forces me to use "All Sts St"  :/

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 12:59:51 PM »
yes I just moved and added my new address to ebay.  It would not allow me to add my street name as such "All Saints Street"  it forces me to use "All Sts St"  :/

yes I noticed that last week (hint hint)

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 01:02:48 PM »
So it seems like even tho (in my case) the full street name is still on both my paypal and ebay accounts-- when it comes to the USPS labels that are printed with the ebay-USPS software, the street name abbreviations are happening.

Not good, IMO.

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 12:50:58 PM »
Put your address in here, see how it comes back standardized.

https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction_input

I would imagine ebay is using USPS api or pitney bowes address standardization (which in the end uses USPS as well).

I use Endicia for everything and they use USPS.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 12:54:24 PM »
Put your address in here, see how it comes back standardized.

https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction_input

I would imagine ebay is using USPS api or pitney bowes address standardization (which in the end uses USPS as well).

I use Endicia for everything and they use USPS.

I just tried the USPS tool and my full street name is displayed. The only abbreviation was for the word, Place. And that was shortened to Pl

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »
I have another parcel en route and once again, Ive learned that the USPS-ebay printed label created by the seller has shortened/abbreviated my street name.

I even wrote the seller, when I sent my Paypal pmt, asking her to look and double check the label, in addition to explaining why (my full street name and info are correct on both my ebay and Paypal accounts).

Seems the seller didnt bother to read my attached note.  hitself

She wrote me last night, saying it had been labeled with the abbreviated street name. She then tried to tell me that my info was probably wrong on ebay.  I sent her 4 screen grabs from both my ebay and Paypal accounts, showing that was not the case. I also said that this issue was not her fault, but that of the USPS.

Im assuming there has been some update or change to the USPS-ebay label printing software?

Not a smart move, imho.

I went onto the USPS site and opted to have the parcel held at the PO, so I can pick it up and not have any confusion over an attempted delivery to a non-existent street.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 05:44:26 PM »
The parcel arrived yesterday, even with the abbreviated street name.

-Jeff