Common Poster Subjects > Valuation

Pricing Trends?

(1/25) > >>

mattsw:
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to use the databases maintained by Heritage and Emovieposter when gauging the value of a current auction.  Both databases are wonderful resources with pictures, grading, prices and dates.  My question has to do with the overall trend in prices.  There have been several occasions that the lobby card I am looking at does have history, or perhaps a card from that set, and in similar grading, but the record is a few years old.  Has there been any trends on escalation of prices over the past several years?  Has the economy flattened prices at all, or can I assume a certain level of escalation?  I know that rarity, etc., and case-by-case situations will be different, but I am wondering if there is any generalizations on pricing over the past 4 - 5 years.

Thanks,
Matthew

CSM:
I would say in this particular hobby broad generalizations will prove faulty.  It really is on a case-by-case, rarity vs. condition vs. poster type and poster title/art/depiction.

That said - the best of the best (in terms of condition, rarity, title, artwork) will likely always retain or increase in value.

wonka:
I sum up the trends right now: JAWS JAWS JAWS

CSM:
The other thing to consider is supply and demand (which is somewhat similar to that word that gets thrown about so often "rarity").

Sometimes finds are made or collections are dispersed which increases the available number of a certain specific poster to the market.  This tends to result in a gradual deescalation of the price results as the supply increases and the demand is met over a period of time.  

Right now it would seem that posters for "classic" movies from the 70s/80s are particularly popular with resultant increases in price results.  While there is great demand, the auction results are tempered by a HUGE supply in the market...

Mirosae:
Agree with Chris. My impression is that some genres such as westerns and musicals are not the trend right now. Which is fine by me.

Long live John Ford  (and John Wayne)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version