Author Topic: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions  (Read 70439 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2014, 07:49:26 AM »
Take a look at this and say it makes no difference...

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8457.25.html
It's more than a Hobby...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2014, 08:46:58 AM »
Now that Mel is gone, I don't think it will be much of an issue anymore, Paul.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2014, 12:37:54 AM »
Now that Mel is gone, I don't think it will be much of an issue anymore, Paul.

T

Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2014, 01:22:19 AM »
Not as such on here, NS4 have that pleasure now.. He can't be getting much traffic through his face-tube page, he seems to be permanently posting on NS4 trying to drum up interest....

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2014, 11:46:25 PM »
Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

By the way, Mel and Adam are both fitting in well, and welcome.

On a side note, in the nine years that NSFGE has been around I don't recall this subject ever being an issue, I could be wrong, but if it was ever bought up it never was like it has been here.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2014, 12:44:57 AM »

On a side note, in the nine years that NSFGE has been around I don't recall this subject ever being an issue, I could be wrong, but if it was ever bought up it never was like it has been here.

Are issues often "bought up?" What's the cost? Is barter ever allowed?   dontknow.gif

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2014, 12:47:23 AM »
Ummm, oops. I'll trade a poster for a "r"
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2014, 12:54:40 AM »
Ummm, oops. I'll trade a poster for a "r"

Signed or unsigned?  girly2.gif

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2014, 01:01:15 AM »
Signed to "A...i"
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2014, 01:24:30 AM »
Sweet-ness!!

girly.gif

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »
I'm afraid this happens in lots of other collecting fields too. There are always people who like to reveal a find when they have no intention of following it up themselves. I can only assume they get a degree of detective-like kudos for sharing the discovery but too often this can play into the hands of the biggest and wealthiest collectors who then move in and hoover things up. Personally I like to see research work rewarded with a successful purchase for the person or people who've actually made the effort and given themselves eye strain and rsi through staring incessantly at screens. Surely that is the reward for our suffering! But post sale exposés can be fascinating.
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2014, 10:44:04 PM »
I'm afraid this happens in lots of other collecting fields too. There are always people who like to reveal a find when they have no intention of following it up themselves. I can only assume they get a degree of detective-like kudos for sharing the discovery but too often this can play into the hands of the biggest and wealthiest collectors who then move in and hoover things up. Personally I like to see research work rewarded with a successful purchase for the person or people who've actually made the effort and given themselves eye strain and rsi through staring incessantly at screens. Surely that is the reward for our suffering! But post sale exposés can be fascinating.

clap

Even the guy with one eye can see clearly! 
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2014, 02:42:01 AM »
Seconded clap

Well said that fellow.

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2014, 05:51:09 AM »
Even the guy with one eye can see clearly! 

Good to see a bit of quasi Erasmus on a Sunday morning...or should that be H G Wells?
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #189 on: November 13, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »

I like this guy.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2014, 05:04:34 AM »
Yawn....this is still the most lame brained knuckle headed debate on this forum...the Internet as a research tool should not only reward the cheap consumer....anyone brave enough to pay more for a dumb piece of paper wants it more...it doesn't matter how they found the auction...or listing...and once again there is absolutely no proof that outed auctions command a greater price...it's a pretend dream world..there is a single word that balances perfectly between both sides of this argument...SPECULATION...what a poster sells for "outed" or not....whether a savvy collector or wealthy dealer knows about the coveted poster you are nervously trying to acquire the cheapest way possible...sometimes they pull the trigger sometimes they have bigger fish to fry...there are more posters available than buyers...this plays both ways...sometimes posters sell for more...sometimes for less...on the Internet they are widely seen whether you think so or not...80% of the poster collectors/sellers/dealers that I have done business with over the past 15+ years are not involved on this forum...they are active in waves ...in all good fun... STOP being such whiny complaining pussies...just bid what your comfortable with....whether it's Heritage or eBay or an estate sale....no one has been outing auctions for the last 6 months here...this is now a straw man argument....posters are still selling too high and too low....once again....it's called SPECULATION......which will always be the end result of this stupid argument
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:54:33 AM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #191 on: November 15, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »
...and once again there is absolutely no proof that outed auctions command a greater price...

This is the most lame brained quote of this entire thread...

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #192 on: November 15, 2014, 01:17:43 PM »
..there are more posters available than buyers

Not true in my non-movie field. Multiple copies can and do survive but nothing that would match the quantity available to the modern film poster collector.
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #193 on: November 15, 2014, 02:39:39 PM »
Archie.....you're turning into a troll....this whole argument is speculation....i am surprised you cant see that...i will be skeptical about it until there is convincing proof......how can you possibly prove a poster "would" have sold for more or less as an absolute....you can't.... the nature of the hobby is volatile and speculative to begin with...under scrutiny your argument just falls flat.......and here is the definition for you so you can understand what proof means...

PROOF - evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:11:30 PM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #194 on: November 15, 2014, 02:52:49 PM »
Not true in my non-movie field. Multiple copies can and do survive but nothing that would match the quantity available to the modern film poster collector.

Monocle.....there are more posters available today than ever before.....the wal marting of posters mixed with the large signature auction offerings far outnumbers the amount of willing and competitive buyers ..the point is there are plenty of posters that get tepid results from over saturation.... of the myriad reasons why poster prices are volatile...there is the simple fact that there are too many auctions and listings going on at any given time....plus tens of thousands of choices from websites and the never-ending eBay listings.....it's overwhelming...if you have some extra time here is a challenge for someone

December is usually a pretty active month for buying and selling....between now and January 1st 2015...count how many auctioned posters there are between....Heritage, emovie, movieposterbid, eBay, bonhams , profiles in history, coys, Christies etc....

Post  that information and then we can really talk about why prices are are all over the place....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:06:15 PM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #195 on: November 15, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »

December is usually a pretty active month for buying and selling....between now and January 1st 2015...count how many auctioned posters there are between....Heritage, emovie, movieposterbid, eBay, bonhams , profiles in history, coys, Christies etc....

I am outing them all!!!!!!!!  :o

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #196 on: November 15, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »
That's hilarious....

please do...then we can pretend that they would have sold for more or less
Tait

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #197 on: November 15, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »
Archie.....you're turning into a troll....this whole argument is speculation....i am surprised you cant see that...i will be skeptical about it until there is convincing proof......how can you possibly prove a poster "would" have sold for more or less as an absolute....you can't.... the nature of the hobby is volatile and speculative to begin with...under scrutiny your argument just falls flat.......and here is the definition for you so you can understand what proof means...

PROOF - evidence sufficient to establish a thing as true, or to produce belief in its truth.

Advertising comes in many forms and to deny the effects is idiotic...

That US advertisers spent $171.01 billion on paid media in 2013 should be enough proof for even the logically challenged.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #198 on: November 15, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #199 on: November 15, 2014, 08:56:07 PM »
Advertising comes in many forms and to deny the effects is idiotic...

That US advertisers spent $171.01 billion on paid media in 2013 should be enough proof for even the logically challenged.

clap
Chris