Author Topic: Your Opinions on Trimmed Linen  (Read 6662 times)

scartacus

Your Opinions on Trimmed Linen
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:53:55 AM »
I am considering framing a quad that has come my way and is on linen. I would need to trim the linen to a few mm to fit it into an existing archival frame. My question -- does trimming the linen to a few mm of the border of the poster devalue it in any way? Ie if you're going to buy a poster on linen, does it make any difference if the linen is trimmed within a few mm of the poster borders as opposed to having the usual couple of inches of extra linen on the outside?

Any thoughts/opinions appreciated.   

scartacus

Re: Your Opinions on Trimmed Linen
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:09:22 AM »
This is the poster, a quad for Fantastic Voyage

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:12:21 AM »
I don't think so, and I've seen it done with other posters.  Ultimately, the poster can be rebacked with new linen if someone really wanted those extra inches of borders and that's why I don't think it's a problem.

Did I mention that I hate linen?

Nothing personal!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »
in my experience....most collectors (not all)  usually prefer a linen border at least about 1/2". Anything less, and the poster is considered a little less desirable. Don't ask me why......that is just the way it is.

scartacus

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:33:37 AM »
Thanks for that tip, Dave.  I noticed the description on your website re: one of your great escape one sheets which has the linen trimmed to the border, and it got me thinking

wonka

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:03:18 AM »
I agree with Dave on this, a half inch is what I would go for or trim to if necessary.

Fantastic poster, by the way...I really dig it!

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 11:19:10 AM »
I tend to frame my posters with a bit of the linen still showing so you can see exactly how it is mounted.

I would steer cleer of a poster with too much border missing as it can limit you..

I know Holiday hates linen, he's much more of a silk kind of guy....

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 11:05:55 PM »
Silk in all the right places, only, Paul...
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 04:38:40 AM »
I've trimmed all the way to the border of mine, even though I assume that does devalue it somewhat.  However, for mine the devaluation was less than the cost of custom framing for a 28" width frame for the extra 1/2" linen on each side.  

Specifically, Hollywood Poster Frames, which is my favorite, sells 27x40 frames for $55 each - including shipping - if you buy four.  If you exceed 27"H or 41"V, the price starts zooming upwards because you lose free shipping and have to pay for custom size plexiglass.

Conversely, I would not trim an expensive LB poster to the border, as the loss in value would exceed the extra cost of custom framing.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:55:17 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

scartacus

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 04:57:32 AM »
Thanks for all your thoughts. I've been steered away from trimming too much of the linen. I think I'll either to go the expense of buying a custom archival frame that will be 31x41inches (in the uk, we can't get hold of Sue's bargainous frames)...or alternatively send the poster emovieposter's way for their next Mini Major linen backed auction.

spacething

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 05:49:49 AM »

It sounds like the consensus on this one is that 1/2 an inch is the way to go.  But personally I usually do 1/4 of an inch.  I like to have the inside edge of the frame covering up the linen. 

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 06:08:49 AM »
I get mine backed with about 1.5" overhang. Less than 0.5" I would have 2nd thoughts about buying. I like the overhang to pin it to a wall the rare times I put one up on a wall. I also imagine (though I haven't done) is that a sizable overhang would go easier under a matting rather than a closely trimmed one.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 07:25:39 PM »
I'll also add that the extra linen of 1.5 inches is a good safeguard against crumpling if rolled and up ended in a tube if wrapped in the weight of some other linen backed posters and not all aligned at the bottom correctly (ie one could stick out and bear the weight of all others and get crumpled).

raulleaf

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 08:20:40 PM »
Has anyone ever experimented with dyed linen?  I think it would be interesting to see black or grey instead of the traditional white.  I am sure they make dyed rice paper that won't damage a poster...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:21:08 PM by raulleaf »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 08:25:45 PM »
Thats an interesting question.... I assume you would save on the cost of mattes.  However, sometimes poster paper can be quite thin and if you used a dark linen it might darken the whole image.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 03:04:12 AM »
Don't know how I missed this thread at the time. I know how we all feel regards Linen, but if a poster is linen backed, I wouldn't want the linen dyed a colour, and would want to see at least 1" of linen all round the poster. I have turned down two posters I wanted as the backing wasn't right. one trimmed up to the poster, and one with a half inch over hang. Both looked terrible...

What did you do with it Dominic ?
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 11:47:25 AM »
I had to trim the linen on my "To Have and Have Not" Aussie one sheet to about 1/8 inch all the way around fit properly in a frame (without a mat).  A backed poster with 1/2 to inch without a mat in a frame would look ridiculous. 

I am not worried about hurting the value too much as I bought it and framed it to voyeuristically enjoy Bogie and Bacall's passion on my wall for a long time.  Isn't this why you should buy/frame a poster in the first place?
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »
Isn't this why you should buy/frame a poster in the first place?

Yeah but I don't frame my posters (frame money goes into ever more posters), I just display the linen backed ones by pushing pins through the linen overhang - enough overhang to not end up fraying/ to support the weight/expansion pulling. A linen backed poster trimmed close, is of next to no value to me, as it will also likely end up fraying under the poster too

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 01:12:23 AM »
You are a brave man hanging naked, unframed posters Steve!   :-X
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 05:35:02 PM »
A couple comments here have suggested that if the linen border is trimmed too much (or even all the way to edge of the poster) that it can make it less desirable or even devalue it.

How does trimming the linen actually devalue the worth of the poster itself?

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 06:58:48 PM »
How does trimming the linen actually devalue the worth of the poster itself?

Because like I mentioned trimmed close leads to fraying under the poster thus unsupported and will crumple there which leads to a rebacking required

Plus, for trimmed close posters, the edges will crumple into the poster if the poster is rolled up with linen backed posters and they are not aligned perfectly as the weight of the roll will add force to any poster sticking out a bit thus crumple

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 07:00:03 PM »
Not sure on the valuations of such, but if one wanted to frame it, for my part, I like the linen to form the separation from the frame.

(I have momentarily forgotten the term for this - help me out chaps...)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 07:04:46 PM »
Similar to a mat, creating the look of an inner border around the poster?

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »
Because like I mentioned trimmed close leads to fraying under the poster thus unsupported and will crumple there which leads to a rebacking required

Plus, for trimmed close posters, the edges will crumple into the poster if the poster is rolled up with linen backed posters and they are not aligned perfectly as the weight of the roll will add force to any poster sticking out a bit thus crumple

I get that part, steve, where it could cause damage when framing, or becoming frayed, over time.. but i wasnt sure how the trimming alone could maybe cause a lesser value, overall, if the poster (and linen) are both in good condition.

But maybe the real idea is what is more desired?

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 04:37:35 AM »
Mat.

Yes!

Thank you.