Author Topic: Was I scammed?? I hope not  (Read 2232 times)

Mitchell

Was I scammed?? I hope not
« on: October 14, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
I purchased 50- 11x14 lobby cards for $50 locally. The gentleman says they are real.

A few have tack holes on the edges, they all seem to have a musty old smell to them ( yes I smelled them) the backs are all either a bit dirty and most of them have yellowed in varying degrees. Most have a price in pencil written on the back. Not much, either $8 or $5.

So really how do I tell if these are fakes or not...they seem to be legit at least to a newbies eye.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Was I scammed?? I hope not
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 09:42:50 PM »
Well a lot depends on the titles/films they are for.

The general grunginess is also a positive pointer towards authenticity.
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 09:47:16 PM »
Unless they are for classic Universal horror titles, they are likely genuine.

Lots and lots of lobbies out there.  It seems to be the style that survives, especially on less popular titles.  Tack holes are very common, especially on titles before the '70s.  Theater owners would tack them up on an exterior or interior display that had cork backing.  I have very few cards from before 198- that don't have pinholes.
-Jay-

Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »
Well this is very encouraging news as he has another 150 that I'll be buying off him for a buck apiece.

So how do I go about determining value on each one?

Bruce

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 11:25:28 AM »
Go here http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archive.html and start searching.

But realize that you likely can't realize the same results, and that you can't consign them and make money unless there are some better items.

And before you go buying those, realize that we have two lots each week we have regular Sunday items (from a closed down store) of 100 assorted lobby cards and another of 98, and all of those are in plastic bags, and those usually auction for between $40 and $100 for the 100 (or 98).

Here are the two auctions ending tomorrow:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2337457
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2337458

Bruce

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 12:29:51 PM »
That's kinda what I was trying to say earlier.

The only way to really assign value is to sell them, and see what they bring.

The general guidelines on a lobby card are as follows:

1.  Popular titles command better prices
2.  Title card is generally worth significantly more than a scene card.
3.  Cards with portraits of the actors are worth more.  Value depends on popularity of actor and also popularity of movie.
4.  Cards with iconic scenes from the movie are worth more.
5.  Scarcity.
6.  As always, condition.

As an example, I posted a lobby from North by Northwest where Cary Grant was being "shot" by Eva Marie Saint in the Mt Rushmore restaurant.  It is a notable moment in the  film, and worth around $100.  However, there are two better cards I don't own.  The one with them running on top of the Rushmore statues will go for $200 or so, and the one with CG running from the biplane will go for $300-500.  There are 5 lesser cards that go for $50 or less.  The worst are known as dead cards, and these don't have any of the stars, and usually portray wide angle scenes.  Generally bird cage liners.

Of course, it is all a game of patience, and they will all sell for exactly what 2 people are willing to pay on any particular day.  Bottom line, is buy cards because you like them and can afford them.  It is kind of given that you will break even overall (at best) when it is time to sell.
-Jay-