Author Topic: Idiots who bid early should be shot!  (Read 22310 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Idiots who bid early should be shot!
« on: October 26, 2010, 06:33:29 PM »
Sorry, just venting...

I'm so tired of seeing people bid, and overbid each other days before the end of auction, when I just come in and snipe it within 3 seconds. 

It costs me money, damn'it!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Bruce

Re: Idiots who bid early should be shot!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:47:27 PM »
I assume you are referring to eBay, because if you bid with three seconds to go in OUR auctions, then you extend that auction by 4 minutes 57 seconds, which seems counter-productive!

But I can see two reasons for bidding early on eBay. One is that you win anytime the Thierrys of the world forget to place their snipe, and the other is when there are a bunch of good items to interest you ending in a short time (as in our nearly 1,400 Halloween auctions which start tonight and Thursday night), and you are on any sort of limited budget. By bidding early you can sometimes learn which items are out of your reach, and then you can instead focus on the ones that you have a reasonable shot at.

Bruce

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:52:01 PM »
It's a phenomenon called Premature Ebidulation.  Some people can't wait until the auction is almost over to bid and shoot their wad early.  That's why they need guys like you for the money shots, T   ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:53:21 PM »
Bruce, you always make me smile :)

Yes, I was talking about Ebay, of course.  And I was mainly talking about the morons who bid and overbid each other 5 hours before the end of an item.  I watch them do it, I feel sorry for their stupidity, and then I feel sorry for myself for overpaying.

gun1
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »
Is it ever overbidding if you really want it?

Nothing is ever worth more or less than what some one is willing to pay for it.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 07:44:11 PM »
On Ebay bidding before 5 seconds before the end is like volunteering to be the first to cross a minefield:

The only reason to bid early is that the seller may get nervous and stop the auction.  That happened with the 41" ET bike/moon that went up last year. It's yet to resurface.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »
I've seen sellers stop an auction with bids.
My Personal Collection

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 07:49:30 PM »
This topic reminds me of "The Snipers of eBayJima"

http://www.emovieposter.com/comic_archive.php?id=6

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 07:58:02 PM »
It's a phenomenon called Premature Ebidulation.  Some people can't wait until the auction is almost over to bid and shoot their wad early.  That's why they need guys like you for the money shots, T   ;)

Thank you, Angelo. Coffee came out of my nose...
Snort, snort, gag...

Bruce

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 08:17:23 PM »
Sadly, I just discovered another reason for bidding "early".

Starting 8 minutes before the first of my auctions were to close, and lasting for four minutes, all our auctions were unavailable.

The site was fixed 4 minutes before the first one closed, and is working fine now, but anyone trying to bid in those four minutes was frustrated beyond belief, and I am incredibly sorry for that.

moron1 gun1 gun2  moron1

Bruce

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 08:37:03 PM »

Starting 8 minutes before the first of my auctions were to close, and lasting for four minutes, all our auctions were unavailable.

The site was fixed 4 minutes before the first one closed, and is working fine now, but anyone trying to bid in those four minutes was frustrated beyond belief, and I am incredibly sorry for that.

moron1 gun1 gun2  moron1

Bruce

Im sure most got over it the same as I did...Really fast...No time for crying when primo paper is up for sale. ....

I am now bidding and getting killed almost on everything I bid on.  8)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 08:44:19 PM »
I am now bidding and getting killed almost on everything I bid on.  8)

You and me both, brother.  moron1

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 09:01:01 PM »
I wanna know which of you two bassturds was upping my bid on the only item I wanted
good thing for you bassturds I won it or there'd be some murdering involved here

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 09:09:50 PM »

moron1 gun1 gun2  moron1

Bruce
And I was one of those!  I was cursing AT&T, Comcast and every other organization, never thinking until the end that you were having a problem!  That woulda sucked!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 09:13:25 PM »
I wanna know which of you two bassturds was upping my bid on the only item I wanted
good thing for you bassturds I won it or there'd be some murdering involved here

If I had your kinda money I would have driven you back into the river Danube or which ever river you came from  :P

Which one was that?...and dont say the only one I really wanted  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 09:30:03 PM »

If I had your kinda money I would have driven you back into the river Danube or which ever river you came from  :P

Which one was that?...and dont say the only one I really wanted  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I think it was the Lower Hudson...you know, where the garbage barges congregate...  wynk

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »
I think it was the Lower Hudson...you know, where the garbage barges congregate...  wynk

laugh1....

You know him better than I do  :P

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 09:39:28 PM »

LOL.. naw.. it was ajust a cheapie gambling image.. just messing with you guys

wynk

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 09:40:54 PM »

if I said that to brude, he'd find some gif animation showing a stick figure going over Niagra Falls and put in here :

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 09:42:10 PM »
LOL.. naw.. it was ajust a cheapie gambling image.. just messing with you guys

wynk

I see...so no singers were in it then.

Bruce

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 09:45:30 PM »
The auctions had no further problems and the Halloween items in Part I are now live.

Whew!

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Bruce

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 09:46:21 PM »
I see...so no singers were in it then.

no hoofers either I don't think

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 09:48:30 PM »
The auctions had no further problems and the Halloween items in Part I are now live.

Whew!

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Bruce

Cool!...and since you fuckers out there took down the two or three I really wanted the most Im now live too...and angry!  :P ;D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 09:55:56 PM »

;D
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 09:56:41 PM »
I've seen sellers stop an auction with bids.

This is happening ALL THE TIME now!
Chris