Author Topic: Amelie Japanese B1 - Help with Authentication  (Read 7619 times)

guest4947

Amelie Japanese B1 - Help with Authentication
« on: May 21, 2017, 02:57:26 PM »
Hi All,

I just purchased a Japanese B1 of the Jean-Pierre Jeunet film "Amelie" from an eBay seller. However I have some grave doubts with regards to its authenticity and wonder anyone can offer some advice.

Basically, this is what I have done to date. I have consulted a certain webpage (https://www.flickr.com/photos/japanese-movie-posters/sets/72157617662632534/) where a collector did a side by side comparison using the original and a reprint. The B1 I have in my possession basically satisfies just about all the conditions that distinguishes an original from the reprint with the exception of one important criteria: its overall dimensions which are more or less exactly the same as the reprint or 38.5 inches (length) by 26.8 inches (width) whereas the original will be the size of a standard B1 or 41 inches by 29 inches.

Subsequently, I also went to a poster dealer here in Singapore and did a side by side comparison with a reprint (since it's almost impossible to find an original here). I managed to find out that my B1 is actually printed on thicker and better-quality stock paper, although not significantly thicker, and the colours are also sharper, more "orangey" and have a more "matte" quality while the reprint is a glossy bloodish red. Another thing that the dealer pointed out was that the eirin mark appears to be too close to the border.

I have appended several photos of my B1 here. I wonder if there is any possibility that my B1 is an original? Does anyone has an original B1 of Amelie that is actually smaller than the standard 41 by 29 inches?

Thank you all and I look forward to any kind advice that anyone can offer.

Many thanks!

Best,
Joseph Sim
Singapore

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Amelie Japanese B1 - Help with Authentication
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 03:38:41 PM »
As another comparison, here are 2 copies that were auctioned by emp. Both B1s measure 28.5 x 40.5 inches:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/AMELIE/tag/xtype%253AJapanese%2520B1%2520poster/archive.html

And  welcome1 to the forum, Joseph. Enjoy it and have fun! I'm sure some of the Japanese poster gurus here will be able to help.

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 03:41:44 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4947

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 04:29:47 PM »
Thanks very much Jeff!

As detailed in my post, the B1 I have actually fits the description of the original except its overall size so I'm curious if it's possible that a slightly smaller B1 was produced. I have compared my B1 to a reprint and while it's almost exactly the same size as it, the details, finish, colours and specs are entirely different. I will love to know if my B1 is maybe a high-quality reproduction or an original?

Forgot to mention that the original seller emailed me a certificate of authentication issued by LAMP.

best,
Joseph

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 04:41:12 PM »
Thanks very much Jeff!

As detailed in my post, the B1 I have actually fits the description of the original except its overall size so I'm curious if it's possible that a slightly smaller B1 was produced. I have compared my B1 to a reprint and while it's almost exactly the same size as it, the details, finish, colours and specs are entirely different. I will love to know if my B1 is maybe a high-quality reproduction or an original?

Forgot to mention that the original seller emailed me a certificate of authentication issued by LAMP.

best,
Joseph

You're welcome.  :)

This is curious.. and makes me more suspicious, to be honest. I dont think LAMP is in the business of issuing Certificates of Authenticity for posters. Can you post a pic of this certificate?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:12:46 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 04:47:57 PM »
Here's also a copy that was sold on ebay by a fellow APF member, fffmovieposters. It also measures approx 27x41:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amelie-2001-Original-Movie-Poster-Comedy-Romance-/222154595709?hash=item33b9721d7d%3Ag%3AAWMAAOSwOVpXYdlO&nma=true&si=4Zwn8Q8wxFUKu430opECu%252BYyqns%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Can you provide the ebay link for your poster?

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:54:02 PM »
I was going to be asking the same question as soon as I took pics of the 2 copies I have here
I know there is a repro, I would also like to know how to tell the difference

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 04:56:25 PM »
Searched on Apf and found a link this thread...old but may help?

http://www.movieposterforum.com/index.php?/topic/4068-japanese-amelie-b1-poster/

And Ed who is a member here has his Amelie B1 on his site. Great site and always has very very accurate measurements.
His site is   https://www.filmonpaper.com/posters/amelie-b1-bed-style-japan/

Drop him a pm and hopefully he has some info if needed or try an

PM http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=103
-or-
To email to get in touch is: Eddie [at] filmonpaper.com

Due to the posters value it is likely more than one version from different creators of  "reprints" (bootlegs) may exist. Hence the varying paper. It seems like yours is a better reprint (bootleg) that used the heavier paper stock. Disclaimer I am no expert on this one but with a bit of googling and emovieposter.com results that Jeff posted...I would be very concerned about it's authenticity and especially of a full 2 inches on height. Hopefully Ed's great photos can help you compare and see if the art is slightly different in cropping and print quality. (Nice close-up on the Erin(sp?) mark too, if that is an Erin mark?) COAs are often used along side a fake. Did you purchase this very recently? Fingers crossed that you can still return it and be refunded swiftly. 
Take care and hope this helps a little.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 06:10:38 PM »
Joseph, I also emailed Ed Poole from LAMP to ask if they ever issue Certificates of Authenticity for posters. When he replies, I will post that information here.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:13:45 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 06:42:11 PM »
My one is the same measurements as the emovieposter ones. It's on thicker stock than your average poster, so that's a good sign I suppose, but the dimensions would worry me. Don't suppose it has been trimmed, has it?

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »
Ah Tob, good point it could be trimmed.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 07:44:41 PM »
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:49:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »
I just got an email back from Ed Poole of LAMP and he said that they have never issued certificates of authenticity for any poster.

He said that have done specialized, authentication reports that have been asked of by individuals, but he said that they've never done one for the Japanese B1 Amelie poster before,  let alone a copy that is undersized.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:22:41 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4947

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 10:42:59 PM »
Here's also a copy that was sold on ebay by a fellow APF member, fffmovieposters. It also measures approx 27x41:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amelie-2001-Original-Movie-Poster-Comedy-Romance-/222154595709?hash=item33b9721d7d%3Ag%3AAWMAAOSwOVpXYdlO&nma=true&si=4Zwn8Q8wxFUKu430opECu%252BYyqns%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Can you provide the ebay link for your poster?

Thanks Jeff and everyone for your kind advice. I'm afraid i'm the one who bought the poster from fffmovieposters. Unfortunately the measurements didn't bear out.

best,
Joseph

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 10:54:24 PM »
Joseph, is the eBay link that I just happened to look up & post the same copy that you bought? The description says that copy was approximately 27x41, which would be correct for a B1. Or was yours another listing from them?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:55:12 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 11:14:59 PM »
the price of $115 should have told you there was something wrong with that poster, when a real copy sells for a good penny more.

I'm sure FFF will refund your money

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 11:29:35 PM »
And there is also the question of the "LAMP" COA that was included with the poster. Ed was clear that they don't issue them.

It being described as 27x41 would also make it sound like a B1, when reading the auction.

With it not being as described, size-wise, and as Rich said, I would think that fff would issue you a refund.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:39:47 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 01:23:32 AM »
Joseph, is the eBay link that I just happened to look up & post the same copy that you bought? The description says that copy was approximately 27x41, which would be correct for a B1. Or was yours another listing from them?

A Japanese B1 is usually, almost exactly 28.5" x 40.5" (+/- less than 1/16").  Often times people just round up and say a B1 is 29"x41".

It looks like the one Joseph bought is an undersized repro., and not a trimmed original.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 01:40:17 AM »
And from the way FFF has represented themselves here, I think it will all work out:  thumbup

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,11662.0.html

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 01:42:52 AM »
I think there is more to the 'repro' than just size.
I know that I have 2 of this poster and I think the size is correct, but I was under the impression that there was a 'same size' repro, which si of course, why I hadn't done anything with them, because I wanted to find out first.
I'd like to find out that is incorrect, and I have 2 copies of the real deal

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 01:44:47 AM »
Ive seen some offered on ebay (and other sites) that are described as being 27x40 reproduced "prints."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:45:54 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 01:57:15 AM »
Ive seen some offered on ebay (and other sites) that are described as being 27x40 reproduced "prints."

Yeah, it's a common size for reproductions.

I think there is more to the 'repro' than just size.
I know that I have 2 of this poster and I think the size is correct, but I was under the impression that there was a 'same size' repro, which si of course, why I hadn't done anything with them, because I wanted to find out first.
I'd like to find out that is incorrect, and I have 2 copies of the real deal

I haven't heard of a same size reproduction for this Amelie B1. 

This Flickr page has a good description of an authentic Amelie B1 and a well known reproduction.  The repro. described on the page appears to be very similar to the one that Joseph bought. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/japanese-movie-posters/sets/72157617662632534/

Thanks to Erich Linder for the great authentication.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:59:30 AM by Neo »

guest4947

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 03:39:20 AM »
Hi all, thanks so much by the outpouring of helpful advice. I'm very grateful.

To elaborate on a few points:

1. The B1 I have is basically smaller than the standard B1. The length and width are both approximately 2 inches less than the standard B1 so its not a exactly a "same-size reproduction". In fact, other than the length and width, all other details match the original whether it's the placement of the credits, the vase or photo frame on the left and right sides of the key visual as well as the location of the eirin mark, etc. No details were cropped or left out. The only thing that doesn't match is the overall length and width.

2. I just checked the email that seller sent me and I must apologise for a blunder. The "certificate of authentication" was issued by the seller and not by LAMP. The body of the text merely stated that the seller is a LAMP authorized dealer. My bad.

3. I bought the poster for a total of USD150 including shipping which I thought was a steal for a B1 for this particular poster. All of you are right that that the price could have tipped me off even though the listing advertised that it was an original and the dimensions were 41 by 29. However for US$150, I thought there was a pretty fair chance I might have stumbled on an original. To put this in perspective, a reprint is going for less than US$18 here in Singapore.

Many thanks again all for your great help with this!

- Joseph

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 03:46:29 AM »

1. The B1 I have is a basically smaller than the standard B1. The length and width are both approximately 2 inches less than the standard B1 so its not a exactly a "same-size reproduction". In fact, other than the length and width, all other details match the original whether it's the placement of the credits or the location of the eirin mark. No details were cropped or left out. The only thing that doesn't match is the overall length and width.

2. I just checked the email that seller sent me and I must apologise for a blunder. The "certificate of authentication" was issued by the seller and not by LAMP. The body of the text merely stated that the seller is a LAMP authorized seller. My bad.

3. I bought the poster for a total of USD150 including shipping which I thought was a steal for a B1 for this particular poster. All of you are right that that the price could have tipped me off even though the listing advertised that it was an original and the dimensions were 41 by 29. However for US$150, I thought there was a pretty fair chance I might have stumbled on an original. To put in perspective, a reprint is going for for less than US$18 here in Singapore.

- Joseph

Based on all I have read, I would say it is a repro.  Also, $150 would be an incredible steal for an original.  I would expect more in the $500-750 range for a copy in solid condition.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 04:11:31 AM »
No problem, Joseph.  Good luck on your quest to find an original. 

The info. Mr. Linder shared in the Flickr link above, will surely help to identify an original Amelie B1.  I'm sure the folks here would assist you with authenticating and/or finding another copy of that great poster, also.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »

1. The B1 I have is basically smaller than the standard B1. The length and width are both approximately 2 inches less than the standard B1 so its not a exactly a "same-size reproduction". In fact, other than the length and width, all other details match the original whether it's the placement of the credits, the vase or photo frame on the left and right sides of the key visual as well as the location of the eirin mark, etc. No details were cropped or left out. The only thing that doesn't match is the overall length and width.

2. I just checked the email that seller sent me and I must apologise for a blunder. The "certificate of authentication" was issued by the seller and not by LAMP. The body of the text merely stated that the seller is a LAMP authorized dealer. My bad.

3. I bought the poster for a total of USD150 including shipping which I thought was a steal for a B1 for this particular poster. All of you are right that that the price could have tipped me off even though the listing advertised that it was an original and the dimensions were 41 by 29. However for US$150, I thought there was a pretty fair chance I might have stumbled on an original. To put this in perspective, a reprint is going for less than US$18 here in Singapore.

- Joseph

Thanks for the updated explanation on this, Joseph, as Ed was concerned over the fact that someone might have been issuing a COA supposedly from LAMP.

And keep us posted on how this all works out for you.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:42:23 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff