Author Topic: Future Classics  (Read 7702 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Future Classics
« on: August 19, 2010, 03:57:55 PM »
I suppose we all have our favourite posters and artists,but what do you think will be the desirable contemporary posters,that in 30 years + will be sought after most by collectors?

Stew

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
Re: Future Classics
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »
here are some i reckon might/are doing well

Why So Serious?
Donnie Darko
Possibly  Burn After Reading
Watchmen (if it manages to get a cult following)
Pixar (virtually all of them)

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »
Moon 100%..

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:19:31 PM »
Death Proof
Planet Terror

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 06:46:27 PM »

I`ll take a guess at this.

Stew

Muddyfunster

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »
Tarantino Film Posters
Watchmen
Cloverfield
Lord of the Rings
Early Pixar Movies
Hayao Miyazaki Movies
Superhero movies from 90s onwards

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 08:24:49 PM »
Not as culty as those, though the star wars of the future is, I think Pirates of the Caribbean. Maybe the Potters.

Watchmen, I could go with that as well.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:48:06 PM »
Chris

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 09:35:37 PM »

Most def!   :D  It would be difficult to say it won't be a highly desirable piece in the future, IMO, considering the number of people who saw the movie, and the rarity and quality of the lenticular.  Look at the Matrix one sheet compared to other one sheets from that time, and imagine if a lenticular for the first Matrix had been made.  It seems logical to me that the rarity of a piece would have a lot to do with the future market value of it, as people see it and realize that if they don't pay top dollar for it, then they may not see it again. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »
Most def!   :D  It would be difficult to say it won't be a highly desirable piece in the future, IMO, considering the number of people who saw the movie, and the rarity and quality of the lenticular.  Look at the Matrix one sheet compared to other one sheets from that time, and imagine if a lenticular for the first Matrix had been made.  It seems logical to me that the rarity of a piece would have a lot to do with the future market value of it, as people see it and realize that if they don't pay top dollar for it, then they may not see it again. 

Sorry Neo, I was being facetious based on an argument from another thread.

But you do make some compelling arguments for those willing to be compelled.
Chris

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 10:05:30 PM »
Sorry Neo, I was being facetious based on an argument from another thread.

But you do make some compelling arguments for those willing to be compelled.

No need to apologize, I knew you were just joking from the other thread on the Avatar lenticular.  That thread convinced me to chime in and become a member of APF, so I figured it was only logical to chime in on this thread also.   :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:16:44 AM by NeoLoco »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 06:47:06 AM »
A few of my faves from the last 20 years that I think could stand the test of time in terms of aesthetic value and classic status (dunno about value)...

The quad for Trainspotting
Moon
Tarantino films (mainly Pulp and Reservoir Dogs)
Mulholland Drive
The Girlfriend Experience
The Shawshank Redemption
Lost in Translation (Scarlett style)
Walk the Line (the guitar and flames style)
Fargo (knitted style)
Star Wars Episode 1 (Anakin/Vader Teaser)
The Rocketeer
Goodfellas
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:55:35 AM by Tob »

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »
Pirates... the first one only

Pixar- Toy Story, its such a ground breaking movie , Wall-e , the posters are beautiful

The Matrix quad can be picked up cheaply, as can the lenticular for The Dark Knight

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 11:59:17 AM »
I cannot Belive someone suggested "Cloverfield", is this an American thing as it seems it's only people from the U.S. who like it. Is anyone from the U.K. a fan?   

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 12:02:59 PM »
I cannot Belive someone suggested "Cloverfield", is this an American thing as it seems it's only people from the U.S. who like it. Is anyone from the U.K. a fan?   

I thought the film was ok - but the poster is fairly bold/iconic (the headless statue of liberty with the claw marks).

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 12:16:20 PM »
Quite agree about the poster, but the film is pants. Are you in the U.K. Tob?

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »
Yep, sure am. Presume you are too? 8)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 03:13:32 AM »
Sure are, it's a jolly old place to be.

Offline wattsy04

• Beginner
Future Classics
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 03:11:26 PM »
Hi All,

I know everyone will have a different opinion on this but what posters from the last 25 years will become classics in the future. I know Black Swan one sheets, Spiderman etc all have increased in value but what else do you think could go the same way.

Paul

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »

Offline wattsy04

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 03:32:58 PM »
thanks for that, I assumed this topic had been mentioned before but couldnt find the link.

paul

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »
My regular curmudgeon note.

I have no idea what is going to appreciate over the years.  However, my experience has been that posters that are promoted as future collectibles seldom are.  Goes for other collectibles as well.  People buy up and hoard the 'collectible' ones and in ten years there is a glut.  Holds for halmark, plates, Beanie Babies and even barbie.  My daughter was collecting Barbie 20 years ago.  I told her to buy a couple of cheap Malibu Barbies and pack them away with the others in original box.  When she sold a couple of years ago they were the big priice items while the 'collectible' ones barely got sticker price.

I have personal experience.  Back in the early 90s, Cindy got caught up in the 'collectible' poster thing.  She bought the hot arthouse movie of the year, which was the Three Colors Trilogy (Red, White and Blue).  These days, each is a solid $10 poster, less than we paid back then.

My guess is that Black Swan is a film destined to be forgotten in 5 more years.  Bruce's archives seem to show it is already declining over prices from 3 years ago.

OK, I've said my piece.  Now you can all call me an idiot.
-Jay-

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 04:03:37 PM »
If you're talking monetary value, I suppose it's all about supply. A Black Swan one sheet prob won't be worth much in 20 years time as there are gazillions of them...a Japanese B1 Black Swan may do better as there are a lot less of them.

I'm not too interested in value though, it's more interesting to think of future classics from an aesthetic POV (perhaps 'classics' is a bit OTT, but memorable designs).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »
I read the opening post in this thread as meaning "classic" from a visual or design standpoint, not a monetary one. And with so many posters that are photo shop creations, it is an interesting question as to which may rise to the surface, from an aesthetic POV, and be considered true classics.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 07:24:11 PM »
I read the opening post in this thread as meaning "classic" from a visual or design standpoint, not a monetary one. And with so many posters that are photo shop creations, it is an interesting question as to which may rise to the surface, from an aesthetic POV, and be considered true classics.

Even that is not so easy.  Some of the better posters from the last few years are from pretty lousy movies.  Nurse, Rubber, The Great and Powerful OZ as examples.  All good posters.  The movies not so much.

I think a poster needs to have some of each to be a classic.
-Jay-