Author Topic: How to choose the right frame...  (Read 4449 times)

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: How to choose the right frame...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 12:02:08 AM »
Great article, ladeda.

But I think a frame choice is such a personal thing. It's hard to set a general rule about it, as there are so many personal and aesthetic variables involved.

-Jeff

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 01:33:44 AM »
I never put much thought into the frames before as all my posters are oversized and cost a fortune , but reading this I may double think which way I go the next time..  I cannot use glass as its too heavy and has a high probability of cracking in a 5 foot frame so acrylic is the way I go .. My framer literally wrote the book on shadow boxes and framing..  He teaches in Europe , and writes articles all the time in some framers magazine.. Helluva skill set .

Mirosae

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 09:29:41 AM »
I never put much thought into the frames before as all my posters are oversized and cost a fortune , but reading this I may double think which way I go the next time..  I cannot use glass as its too heavy and has a high probability of cracking

Agree. This is an article written by John Jones, one of the best framers in the UK (they work with museums in UK). I learnt a lot from them. They take a great deal of time helping you to decide whay is best for you. I didnt appreciate all the different tecniques. There are a lot of things to consider if you care about your art, or poster or whatever you need to frame, a good framer can save your day.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 12:01:10 PM »
I never put much thought into the frames before as all my posters are oversized and cost a fortune , but reading this I may double think which way I go the next time..  I cannot use glass as its too heavy and has a high probability of cracking in a 5 foot frame so acrylic is the way I go .. My framer literally wrote the book on shadow boxes and framing..  He teaches in Europe , and writes articles all the time in some framers magazine.. Helluva skill set .

Sounds good, Mike. And with your larger sizes that require more custom framing, it's the way to go. And you are smart and wise to not use glass. it is death to posters as it retains heat and moisture - much more so than plexi, and is simply not good for paper. Any number of fellow collectors and dealers here have also expressed this same sentiment. And with you living in a more humid part of the country (during the summer months, at least), the last thing you want is foxing or other damage to appear on your collection.

Your frames look outstanding, there is no question about it. Your framer and you have picked materials and colors that compliment your posters to a T!

thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:02:33 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 01:25:22 AM »
Black matte finish frames and done!   ;D
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 01:32:46 AM »
Don't ask how to select the right frame, ask how will the right frame select you

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »
Black matte finish frames and done!   ;D

You have learned well, grasshopper  ;)
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.