Author Topic: Flattening a Wavy Gravy Poster  (Read 4096 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Flattening a Wavy Gravy Poster
« on: June 12, 2015, 04:29:22 PM »
I won this Shark Night bus shelter a few years ago.  It arrived very wavy.

It was stored flat, sandwiched between foam boards, with a couple SCUBA weight belts, some books, etc. (about 50-60 pounds of total weight) on the top board.  I checked it periodically, and the waves gradually flattened out, and now after a few years, it is completely flat.

If y'all know any other methods, feel free to share them here.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:30:20 PM by erik1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Flattening a Wavy Gravy poster
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »
Seems like your method -- the weights, waiting and time all did the job.

Good going there, Brandon.

cool1

-Jeff

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »
Nice job - I have a couple of wavy bus shelters, I'm going to have to try this too. I wonder if I could get foam boards that big in the UK? Hmmm

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 04:54:15 PM »
That's the same way I flatten anything out, store it flat and wait.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 05:09:03 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.

Right on, Mike.

Tob, you could probably pick up some foam insulation boards, from a home improvement store like Home Depot.

I made this setup a few years ago.  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8284.0.html  It's cool for flattening big pieces.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 06:39:51 PM »
Thanks for the link - looks like most of the boards in the UK have a max width of 1200mm which is a little bit too narrow. I can get foamboard that is 48 x 96, but again, perhaps a bit narrow. I'll do some digging though, you've inspired me :)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 07:03:32 PM »
I hope Bruce is reading this, there is a market out there for having some unwavy poster auctions, following on from unfolded poster auctions.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:04:06 PM by 50s »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Flattening a Wavy Gravy Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 08:54:04 PM »

I hope Bruce is reading this, there is a market out there for having some unwavy poster auctions, following on from unfolded poster auctions.

The last time I talked to Bruce, he said that eMovie does this.  I don't know for how long they store them flat or how much weight they use, but everything I've bought from them has been flattened, which is cool.  It's a real pain to buy posters/prints from people who store them rolled, especially extremely tightly rolled and/or thick card stock, and then you have to flatten them.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 12:38:24 AM »
Impressive results
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 01:22:44 AM »
Excellent results Neo, time is the key, It looks great now.

I've also found tightly rolling, leave it for a while, then reverse rolling for a while over a period has worked for me.

Of course I do have the patented Waines poster press also ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 06:38:59 AM »
Looks really good Brandon. I will try that with one I have...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 06:49:27 AM »
Didn't know you went SCUB Diving Rosa...

Mirosae

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 06:55:38 AM »
I don't know what you mean Sir..

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 07:07:13 AM »

It was stored flat, sandwiched between foam boards, with a couple SCUBA weight belt

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 01:34:25 PM »
Thanks, y'all.

It was stored flat, sandwiched between foam boards, with a couple SCUBA weight belts

The weight belts work well for this restoration process (when I'm not diving  :P ) as they're made up of small, 1 pound lead weights, and when they're lined up, they create a uniform pressure for the upper and lower edges.  With some old text books across the center of the board, overall it seems to be uniform pressure distribution. 

The process definitely takes a long while, increasingly longer the thicker the stock, in this case it was a few years.  A few 40x60s and 30x40s in my humble collection are also almost perfectly flat using this method, although a few of them still curl up into a roll after removing the upper board.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 03:51:52 PM »
Wonder if Bruce maybe even has a press?

Mirosae

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 05:22:49 PM »
If anyone has any tips for wavy linen backed posters do let me know. Tried nearly everything, flatting it up seems mission impossible as still has waves...for the obvious reasons. But thought you guys might have some tips.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 12:46:56 AM »
If anyone has any tips for wavy linen backed posters do let me know. Tried nearly everything, flatting it up seems mission impossible as still has waves...for the obvious reasons. But thought you guys might have some tips.

I've encountered the same problems Rosa...haven't been able to flatten out certain backed posters
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »

I have a linen backed 30x40 (a format that some people say should only be gel or paper backed) and it was perfect when I dropped it off at a framer's shop, and had huge waves when I picked it up.  I asked John at Poster Mountain and he said that when the linen buckles like that, the only way it can be flattened usually involves re-backing it.

The method from the first post may work on something that is linen backed, but it may be a very long time before it flattens, if ever.  It would be good to hear if anyone has had success flattening something like that, without having it re-backed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:57:18 AM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
I have a linen backed 30x40 (a format that some people say should only be gel or paper backed) and it was perfect when I dropped it off at a framer's shop, and had huge waves when I picked it up.  I asked John at Poster Mountain and he said that when the linen buckles like that, the only way it can be flattened usually involves re-backing it.

The method from the first post may work on something that is linen backed, but it may be a very long time before it flattens, if ever.  It would be good to hear if anyone has had success flattening something like that, without having it re-backed.

Brandon, is a 30x40 on slightly thicker stock, similar to an insert?

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 12:47:15 PM »
Brandon, is a 30x40 on slightly thicker stock, similar to an insert?

Yeah, there are a few different types of card stock for 30x40s, 40x60s, inserts, etc.  They vary a little bit with different time periods, and they're all much thicker stock than something like the stock used for standard one sheets.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 01:00:51 PM »
Yeah, there are a few different types of card stock for 30x40s, 40x60s, inserts, etc.  They vary a little bit with different time periods, and they're all much thicker stock than something like the stock used for standard one sheets.

Right.. and that's why I can see items like this (as well as inserts) being paper or gel backed rather than layed on linen, (in general).

Thanks, Brandon.  :)

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 07:14:41 PM »
I've encountered the same problems Rosa...haven't been able to flatten out certain backed posters
:-[  dammit Chris... It is really a pain, visually they do distract a lot.. I might do flamenco dancing on them hah!

Thanks Brandon. Very helpful...Yes.. re backing is an option, but I do not like my poster that much now and have already spent a lot of money on it. I heard that framing it could do the work so at some point it will look better...but not sure if that is just wishful thinking...now here's hoping...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:15:58 PM by Mirosae »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 07:43:09 PM »
:-[  dammit Chris... It is really a pain, visually they do distract a lot.. I might do flamenco dancing on them hah!

Thanks Brandon. Very helpful...Yes.. re backing is an option, but I do not like my poster that much now and have already spent a lot of money on it. I heard that framing it could do the work so at some point it will look better...but not sure if that is just wishful thinking...now here's hoping...

Edited:

I'm pretty sure that just framing it is not going to help much, if any, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:23:57 PM by Neo »