Author Topic: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions  (Read 69040 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions
« Reply #300 on: January 30, 2015, 02:56:20 AM »
actually, it's all philosophy on both sides of the argument

Raymond Chandler posters. whichever ones I still need.
or gambling.. I like gambling posters also....

Please post a link to the Raymond Chandler poster you're looking for once you find it on Ebay.  I couldn't care less about Raymond Chandler but I will play with you just to prove my point.

T
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:56:54 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #301 on: January 30, 2015, 08:56:40 AM »
...and I will be bidding on whatever is in my Wants list; which is regularly updated and bumped to the top.

Cheers.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #302 on: January 30, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Please post a link to the Raymond Chandler poster you're looking for once you find it on Ebay.  I couldn't care less about Raymond Chandler but I will play with you just to prove my point.
T

Forget Chandler, let's really turn this into an experiment with a poster no one would want under any circumstances (...or would they?) 

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you exhibit A, DOLPHIN SUNSET http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&auction_uid1=3751043

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #303 on: January 30, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »
Vick  moron1
Chris

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2015, 10:59:42 AM »

T

Then, with respect, if you're just going to play with him to prove your point, you're not proving any point.

Cake and eat it.

Rough with the smooth.

American President, "America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, 'You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours."

So, swap America with the The Internet, and here we are.

This whole forum is based on outing auctions.  There have been any number of Bond posters I did not know even existed before I came here, to this very site.  And now I know of their existence, I am now bidding, because in effect, their existence has been outed.

Define for me please, the exact moment when Outing starts and ends...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #305 on: January 30, 2015, 11:13:50 AM »
This whole forum is based on outing auctions.  There have been any number of Bond posters I did not know even existed before I came here, to this very site.  And now I know of their existence, I am now bidding, because in effect, their existence has been outed.

The auctions those newly discovered Bond posters came from were not outed.  However, the posters purchased in those auctions were indeed shared on this forum AFTER THE SALE.  If the person sharing the newly discovered Bond poster had done so BEFORE the original auction ended you are admitting that they would have increased their competition because you yourself would have been interested.  How can you then claim that outing an in-progress auction "has little or no negative effect (Read: Higher sale price) on the outcome"

Define for me please, the exact moment when Outing starts and ends...

You are conflating two different issues:

1. Outing an in-progress auction can potentially lead to extra bidders and a higher final sale price.
2. Discussing a previously sold poster on this forum can potentially lead to extra bidders and a higher final sale price on the NEXT COPY to come up for sale.

Mirosae

« Reply #306 on: January 30, 2015, 11:24:26 AM »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #307 on: January 30, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »
 clap  Well said Harry.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #308 on: January 30, 2015, 12:05:08 PM »
Vick  moron1

Hahaha I will most certainly be outbid from now until Thursday.  SCREW THE SUPERBOWL PM ME YOUR PREDICTIONS folks I'll keep a tally until after the auction thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:05:28 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #309 on: January 30, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »
If you dig through the forum enough, there's plenty of evidence that proves the point, time and again.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #310 on: January 30, 2015, 12:15:43 PM »
Private Messages people - you'll not get the glory you seek here in outting auctions for the masses - only condemnation from those that "get it"
Chris

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #311 on: January 30, 2015, 12:16:31 PM »
This Thread Needs its own Theme Song.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/heHdOTt_iGc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/heHdOTt_iGc</a>
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:17:12 PM by jedgerley »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #312 on: January 30, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »
Oddly, that film ended...... I was most unimpressed.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #313 on: January 30, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »
Ted 2 posters are out...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #314 on: January 30, 2015, 01:58:53 PM »
Speaking of the Devil, remember, the guy who started this whole diatribe, what happened to him?  I just tried to go to his website and it doesn't exist anymore.  Anyone still in touch with the fellow?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2015, 02:10:43 PM »
Speaking of the Devil, remember, the guy who started this whole diatribe, what happened to him?  I just tried to go to his website and it doesn't exist anymore.  Anyone still in touch with the fellow?

T

Not sure, but I saw a bunch of his posters for sale in the rolled US 1-sheet auction at eMovie a week ago or so. 

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #316 on: January 30, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »
I've also seen some of his linen-backed posters at HA and emovie.  Flash in the pan collector.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #317 on: January 30, 2015, 03:46:08 PM »
Please post a link to the Raymond Chandler poster you're looking for once you find it on Ebay.  I couldn't care less about Raymond Chandler but I will play with you just to prove my point.

sadly, there aren't any. as a matter of fact, there is nothing in my watchlist to speak of that isn't a BIN at prices I wouldn't bother with.
of course, my Chandler collection is pretty fat, so it is difficult to find at this point stuff I don't have

If you dig through the forum enough, there's plenty of evidence that proves the point, time and again.

create a whole list of such proof right here.. prove your point

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #318 on: January 30, 2015, 04:08:56 PM »
How much more proof is needed than one of the following:

A) I saw something in this thread, I didn't know was available and I WON it, thus another person did not, and it would have went for less as I would never have seen it.
B) I was the under bidder on something I saw posted here, and the person that won it paid more than they would of if I never saw the item.

Who cares if the other bidder bid the same regardless, the bottom line is that bidder either didn't get the item at their bid price or didn't get it all, because I saw it.

I mean, what else is there. I suppose you folks that think otherwise still believe in the Easter bunny and that fairy dust exists?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:18:55 PM by ddilts399 »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #319 on: January 30, 2015, 04:22:45 PM »
I've also seen some of his linen-backed posters at HA and emovie.  Flash in the pan collector.

I always suspected the inevitable burn out would be blistering
Chris

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #320 on: January 30, 2015, 04:25:54 PM »
If I woulda outed my Jurassic Park Lenticular auction it definitely would have sold higher than what I got it for because I was the only bidder.  
Recently an Avatar lenticular sold for 225ish that was put in the wrong category....same case there if Avatar was posted on APF, a member or lurker would have been bidding. I would have been a player if I was aware of it.  Nobody really outs stuff that THEY want to bid on..why? because the price could go up, that would be silly to do so.

I know I have put stuff on ebay and announced it on APF and it instantly sells in ten minutes or less....quite amazing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:28:35 PM by jedgerley »

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #321 on: January 30, 2015, 04:40:20 PM »
It is simple. If you are thinking about outing the auction don't do it. Keep in in PM with an individual. All it will do is piss people off. I can't believe this is still an ongoing discussion. If you are that eager to talk about it then wait until it is over. Or as I stated before keep it in a PM with a individual. It is easy to bite your tongue.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #322 on: January 30, 2015, 04:53:19 PM »
Vick  moron1

lol Chris has been after that forever!!!! now he will have to pay $2!!!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #323 on: January 30, 2015, 05:02:54 PM »
lol Chris has been after that forever!!!! now he will have to pay $2!!!

$2 American to make it even worse.  That's like $50 Canadian right now...thanks a lot Vick - what happened to national pride?
Chris

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #324 on: January 30, 2015, 05:29:54 PM »
The auctions those newly discovered Bond posters came from were not outed.  However, the posters purchased in those auctions were indeed shared on this forum AFTER THE SALE.  If the person sharing the newly discovered Bond poster had done so BEFORE the original auction ended you are admitting that they would have increased their competition because you yourself would have been interested.  How can you then claim that outing an in-progress auction "has little or no negative effect (Read: Higher sale price) on the outcome".  

You are conflating two different issues:

1. Outing an in-progress auction can potentially lead to extra bidders and a higher final sale price.
2. Discussing a previously sold poster on this forum can potentially lead to extra bidders and a higher final sale price on the NEXT COPY to come up for sale.

I am editing this as my initial attempt at posting was done on the train: it lead to a half-assed attempt to read and respond.  Sorry.

You are exactly right.  I am conflating two different issues.  (I had never heard of the word 'conflate', so thank you for bring that to my attention.)

1. On this forum, I believe it won't lead to extra bidders as everyone on this forum is at the top of their game and if interest is sufficient, they will already be aware of the poster's existence.  However, if one were to Out a poster on every other type of collecting / antiques / richpeoplesforums.com, type of platform, then yes, maybe this will indeed lead to a higher price.  But that is not happening and is not what we are discussing here.

2. Yes, the post-purchase discussion of a poster can also lead to the next poster turning up for auction acquiring more bidders and more awareness.  So, in the spirit of selflessness, should we also then Not discuss that which could lead to some other's downfall in the poster purchasing stakes?  Which means this forum and its raison d'etre ceases to exist.

I just cannot see where it begins and ends.  To be a complete pain in the ass, I could also say that, On This Forum, if a dealer is made aware of a forum member's awareness of the dealer's poster being for sale / auction, then said dealer cannot then pop it up in the Dealer's or For Sale forums.

At the end of the day, a bidder has the freedom of choice to bid to a certain level, And, in the best interests of the business of film, more than one poster was always printed of a given title - another will always turn up.

Fellas, this is the environment and age in which we live.  It's a game and I would just prefer to languish in the sharing of knowledge of all than to sweat over a poster going for an arbitrary sum too much for my pocket.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:07:10 PM by Simes »