Author Topic: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions  (Read 69612 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2014, 03:23:11 PM »
Funny you talking about Mel. We emailed recently and he seems ok,  not buying much though he might bid this Sat at HA auction. He is well. Or I hope he is...

What auctions will he bid on? Seem appropriate to post here.  8)
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »

;D ;D
Chris

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »

rofl1 rofl1 rofl1

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #228 on: November 18, 2014, 12:51:11 AM »
I totally agree

+1

There are only a few specific examples of outing, where there is a clear case that the outing resulted in a higher final price, such as the E.T. concept poster that T said he bid on after hearing about the auction here.  The issue of outing is a matter of ethics, and IMO, it's not a black and white, right or wrong issue.

FilmLobbyCards, you live on Maui?  That must be awesome, eh?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:10:52 AM by NeoLoco »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #229 on: November 18, 2014, 03:56:07 AM »
Fine lines between Poster events that advertise up and coming auctions, and Outing a specific product.  Indeed, I cannot see the difference.

For me, it is the internet.  Free movement of information by people essentially trying to be helpful.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2014, 06:02:47 AM »
Fine lines between Poster events that advertise up and coming auctions, and Outing a specific product.  Indeed, I cannot see the difference.

For me, it is the internet.  Free movement of information by people essentially trying to be helpful.

+1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »
Nothing 'helpful' about it. Just knee-jerk mindlessness, and a general disregard to other's interests and wallets.

(Just to calm the irrational storm, has to be said from time to time).

I was mistaken,

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2014, 11:48:37 AM »
Hold on chaps, I always thought being 'helpful' was assisting an old lady to cross the road? This other sort of 'help' doesn't really 'help' me. Somebody else (with no interest themselves) finding a specific item I've researched tediously, and then alerting all and sundry to its existence, is simply going to make me age so quickly I won't even be able to cross my own bedroom.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:49:49 AM by monocle »
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2014, 12:04:28 PM »
+1

There are only a few specific examples of outing, where there is a clear case that the outing resulted in a higher final price, such as the E.T. concept poster that T said he bid on after hearing about the auction here.  The issue of outing is a matter of ethics, and IMO, it's not a black and white, right or wrong issue.

FilmLobbyCards, you live on Maui?  That must be awesome, eh?

I was wrong about T saying he bid on the E.T. concept poster, after finding out about it via being outed here.

What if I told you I didn't know about this auction until Mel outed it, Mark?

Well, that's not the case, but it could have been.

Btw, congrats to you.  I wish I had known you collect this sort of thing as it wasn't this important to me.  I talked to Chris about it the day before, when it was at $50, and told him I wasn't going to bid because it was too expensive :). Then 5 minutes before the auction, as I was feeding my kids, I decided to go for it.  Next time you see a Spielberg thing like this, talk to me.

T

My mistake about my last post here.  

I was trying to think of a mid-auction that was outed here, and someone acknowledged he/she had not heard about or planned on bidding on, and then bid on it, after finding out about it here.  I thought that there were a couple other examples of this happening, but after looking through some old posts, I can't find one example.

Fine lines between Poster events that advertise up and coming auctions, and Outing a specific product.  Indeed, I cannot see the difference.

For me, it is the internet.  Free movement of information by people essentially trying to be helpful.

+2
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:16:16 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2014, 02:42:21 PM »
Hold on chaps, I always thought being 'helpful' was assisting an old lady to cross the road? This other sort of 'help' doesn't really 'help' me. Somebody else (with no interest themselves) finding a specific item I've researched tediously, and then alerting all and sundry to its existence, is simply going to make me age so quickly I won't even be able to cross my own bedroom.

But with respect, how would you have researched tediously, or tirelessly, without the help of people on the internet and perhaps specifically on forums such as this one?

For my individual part, I would take my increased knowledge and perhaps heightened awareness of 'what was out there' as a result of the internet (and all that that means) over and above 'perhaps' being made to pay something over the odds if no one knew else about 'it' - this 'it', that even I might not have known about other than for the fact of having read the internet.

There is a phrase, the technicality of which I cannot get my head around, which basically says, 'you can't have your cake and eat it.'  The argument of, why the hell else one would want a cake if Not to eat it aside, you know what I mean.  The internet means, the information will get out.

Brave New World.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #235 on: November 18, 2014, 03:04:20 PM »

I was mistaken,

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #236 on: November 18, 2014, 03:28:58 PM »
Why EBay ?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #237 on: November 18, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »
I'd love to see a poll about what political party or leanings the two sides have in this debate

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #238 on: November 18, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »
Yeah, brilliant. The relationship is clearly telling and relevant.

I was mistaken,

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #239 on: November 18, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »
Oh Wonkas, I am aware a picture can say a thousand words but you really have to choose better pictures.

You're  welcome1

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #240 on: November 18, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »
Nah, I'm good.

I was mistaken,

• Post-aholic
« Reply #241 on: November 18, 2014, 07:21:37 PM »

certainly more brilliant than your dismissive & seemingly intolerant comments on the issue

for instance, while I disagree with people in the thread, I believe that each person's opinion on the subject is worthy, while you wish to paint those who disagree with you on the subject with dismissive & belittling comments, though I am certain you don't see them that way.

I know you are a Republican or similar in political orientation and I'm certainly a Democrat. I would bet that these political affiliations do indeed have bearing on what positions are taken on the issue in this thread..

of course, it's all part of an intelligent discourse, which isn't always the avenue of the intolerant

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #242 on: November 18, 2014, 07:53:25 PM »
I aree with good discourse and discussion, of course..

But at the same time, I would hope that this thread doesn't turn into a political one.

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #243 on: November 18, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
Rich, you are the resident bully and poster child (pun intended) of dismissiveness around here, nothing new.
The irony of what you label me here is especially egregious, even by your usual and standard dreck you post.

So you once had me pegged as a minister, and now a Republican. Simply amazing.
Not that its your business, but to quickly shoot a hole in your latest 'theory', I am a Dem.
I would like to think that my party has had the welfare of mankind in the forefront of their agenda more so than the folks on the other side of the aisle, but I guess that is wrong in this regard.
Still want to do your poll?

Want to offer up any other stories about me? I'll wait.

I was mistaken,

• Post-aholic
« Reply #244 on: November 18, 2014, 09:08:53 PM »
the point of my earlier question was not to turn this into a political thread, but as a scientific example to see how opinions align..
as to the discussion, I'm so totally shocked you claim to be a Democrat.. I can't believe that.
Beyond that Ben, I'm no bully - I just point out honest truths about people that they usually don't like to hear.
You don't think you're dismissive towards opinions that are opposite of yours?
Here are some examples in this thread alone that couldn't be described as anything but dismissive
Neo pointed it out a couple times.. you couldn't see it. Which is not surprising to me

This is what it boils down to.

Unless Mel, you are cool with giving us your ebay password so we can log in and check out what you are eying up.

Otherwise, its just inconsiderate on every level.

Arrogance and ignorance rules supreme 'round here. Sad.

Case in point: most are offended by your input here, but we all seem to deal with it.

Nothing 'helpful' about it. Just knee-jerk mindlessness, and a general disregard to other's interests and wallets.

(Just to calm the irrational storm, has to be said from time to time).

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #245 on: November 18, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
I'm as liberal as can be and I'm totally against outing auctions.  Are we on the same page, Rich?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #246 on: November 18, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »
the point of my earlier question was not to turn this into a political thread, but as a scientific example to see how opinions align..
as to the discussion, I'm so totally shocked you claim to be a Democrat.. I can't believe that.
Beyond that Ben, I'm no bully - I just point out honest truths about people that they usually don't like to hear.
You don't think you're dismissive towards opinions that are opposite of yours?
Here are some examples in this thread alone that couldn't be described as anything but dismissive
Neo pointed it out a couple times.. you couldn't see it. Which is not surprising to me

So many headaches. So many options here...I'll just do:

Honest truths? Like how I was a minister? Or a Republican?

I was mistaken,

• Post-aholic
« Reply #247 on: November 18, 2014, 09:19:45 PM »
I'm as liberal as can be and I'm totally against outing auctions.  Are we on the same page, Rich?

nope.. but as I said, I'm only interested in the question as a scientific or intellectual issue, much the same as any issue regarding anything and how it lines up on a graph.
it's just a curiosity. but bottom line, if we look at the lines drawn here there is a variance of a conservative though (keep it secret) vs a liberal though (tell everyone, make it equal) and I'm sure you understand the interest in "mining data" so to speak.

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #248 on: November 18, 2014, 09:25:05 PM »
So many headaches. So many options here...I'll just do:

Honest truths? Like how I was a minister? Or a Republican?

yui know what Ben, I'll say it a bit differently. You didn't say this to be a nice guy:

you said it as a snide remark.. Fine.. But if you don't want blowback, cut it out.
it's that  simple.

you don't like me.. so what. I don't care if you like me or not. I learned a long time ago that everyone doesn't have to like me and I don't have to like everyone.
I don't have feelings about you one way or the other. I can just as well have a conversation with you or give you a piece of my mind, but I will respond to snide remarks.
if you don't want blowback, cut it out and we can discuss the issues. If you want to continue on with snide remarks.. then you should know what to expect

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #249 on: November 18, 2014, 09:30:56 PM »
I know you are a Republican or similar in political orientation and I'm certainly a Democrat. I would bet that these political affiliations do indeed have bearing on what positions are taken on the issue in this thread..

Ha!  So you are saying Democrats are looking or handouts and Republicans think they should be rewarded for their individual efforts?  :P  I am 100% against outing auctions, so I must be a Republican right? Hmmm... I wonder why Ted and I have been arguing about all these years  eyeroll

Your conflation of political leanings with outing auctions is really amongst the most out-there of your claims Rich... ever!  And that's saying a lot :)  I wouldn't put up too much of a fight on this one.... it's just silly and wrong.