Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203705 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2675 on: May 15, 2012, 07:31:15 PM »
A Portal KING KONG, being offered as an original (but 1960s re-release, theatrical poster). The bottom was trimmed, per the seller, removing the printer's info. It is also framed. At least the seller realized it wasnt from the '30s.

I notified the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190679607615

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2676 on: May 15, 2012, 07:34:49 PM »
I see value in their authentication service, I see no value in their grading service.

For a laugh at my interegation of MPGrading

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2677 on: May 15, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »
OMG, did you guys see some of the prices on Emovie tonight?  I wanted to get a bunch of stuff, but I can't compete.  Some of them are just ridiculous.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2565526

Really?  REALLY?  I got it for $9 a couple years ago.  Can't people do a little bit of homework?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURKISH-MOVIE-POSTER-JAWS-STEVEN-SPIELBERG-ROBERT-SHAW-ROY-SCHEIDER-1975-/260997414843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc4a87fbb

T
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:33:57 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2678 on: May 15, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »
There's people throwing around a lot of bucks. There was a Tintin quad that went for $130.  There's a bunch of others up there too.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2680 on: May 15, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »
It's funny, though, people are spending a lot of money on things they could get for 1/10 of the price, but nothing on nice pieces like this one: http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2565747

Go figure.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2682 on: May 15, 2012, 09:15:47 PM »
I agree.  I love Blade Runner, and I don't think I'd pay more than $10 for that poster.  Fugly is the word!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2684 on: May 15, 2012, 09:48:06 PM »
Didn't you give it to me for free?
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2685 on: May 15, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »
It's funny, though, people are spending a lot of money on things they could get for 1/10 of the price, but nothing on nice pieces like this one: http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2565747

That's because they saw it was French... 
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2686 on: May 15, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »
It just goes to show you...if you want to unload those unwanted posters, you stand to make more consigning with Bruce.
Am I right?

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2687 on: May 15, 2012, 10:10:34 PM »
It just goes to show you...if you want to unload those unwanted posters, you stand to make more consigning with Bruce.
Am I right?

As long as you are also ok with the fact that over half of everything will sell for $15 or less (whereas the competition never auctions even a single... )
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2688 on: May 15, 2012, 10:17:44 PM »
PS - that's from a guy who is hoping that half of his auctions sell for even $10 this weekend.

where is that link again...?
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2689 on: May 15, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »

There are, relatively, a ton of these around, which is helping to suppress the price.  Also, the coloring scheme leaves something to be desired.  The Thierry hates "French Grande" makes for a far better image...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2690 on: May 15, 2012, 10:29:16 PM »
Hey Sean.
I'm over at your place right now looking at the auctions that end in only 4 days.
Some great pieces of movie paper...
I have a question.
Why do you use 'Decade' rather than 'Year' in the primary listing? Is that for a sort function?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:30:55 PM by brude »

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2691 on: May 15, 2012, 10:59:05 PM »
Didn't you give it to me for free?

I think so.  I was able to get a few at the time, when Cockring was hawking them at $300 or something crazy.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #2692 on: May 15, 2012, 11:00:39 PM »
PS - that's from a guy who is hoping that half of his auctions sell for even $10 this weekend.

where is that link again...?

Funny me saying this, Sean, but you should include a link in your signature.  I actually had to backtrack and find the link myself!  Signature is so much easier.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2693 on: May 15, 2012, 11:38:07 PM »
OMG, did you guys see some of the prices on Emovie tonight?  I wanted to get a bunch of stuff, but I can't compete.  Some of them are just ridiculous.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2565526

Really?  REALLY?  I got it for $9 a couple years ago.  Can't people do a little bit of homework?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURKISH-MOVIE-POSTER-JAWS-STEVEN-SPIELBERG-ROBERT-SHAW-ROY-SCHEIDER-1975-/260997414843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc4a87fbb

T

HeHe, new shit sucks!!   laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2694 on: May 15, 2012, 11:43:44 PM »
Funny me saying this, Sean, but you should include a link in your signature.  I actually had to backtrack and find the link myself!  Signature is so much easier.

I thought the link to our home page in my signature was enough (the whole first row there is auctions), but you're right it probably doesn't hurt to have a link to them - so presto! See below...

*Edit - Yes, decade is to assist with the "refine search" column on the left
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:47:32 PM by crowzilla »
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #2695 on: May 16, 2012, 12:17:57 AM »
I wasn't home to bid on the 2 that I wanted from that lot.  Oh well, there are always more auctions.  On another note, it is getting on towards time I unload the Joker B1s I have.  I was getting them for $100 or so when the movie came out.  I am not really sure how many I have left  ;D
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2696 on: May 16, 2012, 12:30:28 AM »
I thought the link to our home page in my signature was enough (the whole first row there is auctions), but you're right it probably doesn't hurt to have a link to them - so presto! See below...

*Edit - Yes, decade is to assist with the "refine search" column on the left

The weekly auctions are a big part of your site, and as such there should be a big obvious button on your homepage to get to the auctions. I was stumped a little while, till I found the See More button. I wouldn't have clicked on the Buy menu item as that to me is Buy now. My 2c worth

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2697 on: May 16, 2012, 01:07:16 AM »
The weekly auctions are a big part of your site, and as such there should be a big obvious button on your homepage to get to the auctions. I was stumped a little while, till I found the See More button. I wouldn't have clicked on the Buy menu item as that to me is Buy now. My 2c worth

Was the big banner across the top that said "Click Here" too subtle...?

Certainly the black bar should be clickable as well as the see more tab, and we'll think about adding something else.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2698 on: May 16, 2012, 02:30:29 AM »
Was the big banner across the top that said "Click Here" too subtle...?

Funnily enough yes... it is far too subtle... I rarely look at that part of a webpage (top center) as it usually contains the droll site banner or advertisements served up by 3rd party ad serving companies (look at below). That's probably the last place on a page I would look for useful information. When you look at as many web pages I do, I've learned to block out looking at likely areas of advertising ads. That banner you have is half ad anyway so I'm even less likely to ready it if I glimpse it which turned out to be the blue bit for Gavelsnipe.

You will be hard pressed to find any website that has any meaningful information/links in that position on a webpage (above the horizontal menu),

So, more comments now that you sound cheeky  :P

- Your black bar being clickable is a dopey idea as it says Featured Auctions but the user will then get taken to the general auction items instead, by the sounds of it. No one would know to click on it anyway as it isn't usual behaviour clicking on a bar. Put in a menu link for Auctions like Bruce - make it obvious. People visiting other sites would expect to find a link in the menu leading directly to the main attraction of the site - the auctions.

- You have 3 facebook icons top right of items page which 2 are different sizes, all close together and doing different things. You need context around the icons indicating what they each do, so as to not confuse the user (eg me!).

I don't like the "See All" links as javascript links rather than hyperlinks.

The site is very well done though for a newish site thumbup

ozcinemagic

« Reply #2699 on: May 16, 2012, 02:36:53 AM »
I was going buy > weekly auctions. Thought the banner at top was a link to download gavel.