Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203451 times)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2650 on: May 13, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
I will, thanks!  :)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2651 on: May 13, 2012, 05:25:43 PM »
yeah I'd been wondering where Louie was lately.. I thought maybe he went to Belgium

I've been lurking here all the time, just too many posts about new crap and Mondo posters.  When someone posts something I'm interested in then I'll chime in.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2652 on: May 13, 2012, 05:31:14 PM »
David.. if you only knew the truth you would be shocked..

Speak up Rich hard to hear the truth from up here... :)

David

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2653 on: May 13, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »
new crap and Mondo posters.
What? you missed out on Metropolis fun..you can`t be older than Metropolis for goodness..
Mondo..well ....

Stew

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2654 on: May 13, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »
jump David.. spin..

go fetch  :-*

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2655 on: May 13, 2012, 05:34:33 PM »
What? you missed out on Metropolis fun..you can`t be older than Metropolis for goodness..
Mondo..well ....

Stew

Yeah the Metropolis controversy was fine for three seconds then I realized I'll never have it in my collection so I moved on to fixing up a batch of 30's & 40's stag films on 16mm I recently acquired so I could project them.  Good times.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2656 on: May 13, 2012, 05:38:20 PM »
Yeah the Metropolis controversy was fine for three seconds then I realized I'll never have it in my collection so I moved on to fixing up a batch of 30's & 40's stag films on 16mm I recently acquired so I could project them.  Good times.
Happy days..
You mentioned stag "mm"...you lucky sod.

Stew

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #2657 on: May 13, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »
I moved on to fixing up a batch of 30's & 40's stag films on 16mm I recently acquired so I could project them.  Good times.

Lucky bastard!
Matias

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2658 on: May 13, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »
Lucky bastard!

Well, I don't know if I'm that lucky, most of these which survive are 10th generation dupes which look like they were developed in the bathtub.  Not sure what these contain, but I'll soon find out!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #2659 on: May 13, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »
I'll be checking the blog then.  thumbup
Matias

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2660 on: May 13, 2012, 06:42:37 PM »
Well, I don't know if I'm that lucky, most of these which survive are 10th generation dupes which look like they were developed in the bathtub.  Not sure what these contain, but I'll soon find out!

these are Louie's people working on restoring the movies

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2661 on: May 13, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »
I'll be checking the blog then.  thumbup

Nice!  I have a lot of film to scan in the coming weeks, not only these but the Brendel home movies.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 06:45:16 PM by Louie D. »

Charlie

« Reply #2662 on: May 13, 2012, 08:14:54 PM »
by the way.. you folks did a real poor job of outing auctions I'm interested in last week.

why none of you put up a link to this auction is beyond me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261017378395

but thanks.. you may have prevented one of the l-u-r-k-e-r-s here from bidding against me.. YIPPEEEE

:P

It's a press kit.  That is my excuse...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2663 on: May 13, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »
I've been lurking here all the time, just too many posts about new crap and Mondo posters.  When someone posts something I'm interested in then I'll chime in.

I figured you were hanging at Occupy Boston.
 wynk

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #2664 on: May 13, 2012, 10:10:12 PM »
I figured you were hanging at Occupy Boston.
 wynk

Nah, the Occupy movement is largely unproductive IMHO, until they start shedding banker-blood, then stuff will change.

Der Januskopf

« Reply #2665 on: May 14, 2012, 01:48:34 PM »
wow.. I go away for 3 days to buy some posters and all the children come out to play.. LOL

David.. it's too easy to get you worked up..

jump David, Jump.. spin.. twirl.. go fetch.. LOL

I wonder what I'll do to find out who I can make fetch this time.. LOL

I would have thought there would have been more progress after 3 days ---  laugh1

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2666 on: May 14, 2012, 03:06:23 PM »
I would have thought there would have been more progress after 3 days ---  laugh1

Well, well, well. :)
-Jay-

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2667 on: May 14, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »
I was trying to get down to the poster treasure supposedly below, but I hit something hard as rock at the bottom of the hole.. I think it's David's head

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2668 on: May 15, 2012, 05:17:34 PM »
There is no BIN analysis thread, so rather than start a new one, I figured to post it here. Also another congrats, too, to Sean and Peter for offering this INVISIBLE MAN (1933) one sheet. Simply spectacular.  clap clap clap

BIN- $325K.

http://www.movieposterexchange.com/buy.php?mode=poster_details&auction_id=2015

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-INVISIBLE-MAN-KEY-UNIVERSAL-HORROR-ONE-SHEET-/190679524950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6562a656

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:18:39 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2669 on: May 15, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
Thanks.
And while on consignment, this one is in hand and I am absolutely certain there will be no "surprises" concerning it and ownership.

...oh and uhhh, don't forget to check out all of our auctions.  ;)
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Charlie

« Reply #2670 on: May 15, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »
Man this MP Grading movement just saddens me.  It is the start of the end of this hobby.  Next thing you know people will be grading crap poster (not warranted like the IM) and the whole hobby will go to shit.  It is a sad day to say the least, seeing the new MP Grading layout so similar to PSA and others... I am getting a lump in my throat.  Every hobby I get wrapped up in goes to the dealers and investors; first coins, cards, then comics, now this BS. 

http://www.mpgrading.com/poster.aspx?ID=110003120

No offense to MP Grading effort and hard work but I hope yours and any follower's efforts fail miserably...

:'(

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2671 on: May 15, 2012, 05:51:15 PM »
Man this MP Grading movement just saddens me.  It is the start of the end of this hobby.  Next thing you know people will be grading crap poster (not warranted like the IM) and the whole hobby will go to shit.  It is a sad day to say the least, seeing the new MP Grading layout so similar to PSA and others... I am getting a lump in my throat.  Every hobby I get wrapped up in goes to the dealers and investors; first coins, cards, then comics, now this BS. 

http://www.mpgrading.com/poster.aspx?ID=110003120

No offense to MP Grading effort and hard work but I hope yours and any follower's efforts fail miserably...

:'(

Am I reading and understanding this comment correctly? That you are publicly hoping and expressing that MP Grading fails?  :-\

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #2672 on: May 15, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »
Am I reading and understanding this comment correctly? That you are publicly hoping and expressing that MP Grading fails?  :-\

Yeah, it will be good for the hobby if they do fail; and I mean fail to distribute services on a mass scale...  Specifically the mass grading and inventorying; which is where the money will be.  The service itself in concept is excellent but the inevitable commercialization and mass grading to follow like the way of cards and comics will ruin the hobby if it takes off.  I know we have had this conversation regarding slabbing Lobby Cards.  And the question still remains what is the point w/o slabbing? Once the poster leaves MP grading, the grade is no longer valid IMO...

So yes I am publicly expressing my hope that MP Grading and "Poster Grading" in general fails to take off. I can understand the inherit need to grade $10,000+ valued posters but there are not many, so the next step is the Blade Runners and Alien OS of the hobby which will kill it. If it makes a run, the fun will be gone. It will boom with investors (which will be the time to sell) and then die like cards and comics...  I saw it with both cards and comics.  If your card wasn't graded it was worthless and if it graded out below average it was worthless.  The spirit of the hobby had died.

I respect the hard work put into it, but the only people that will benefit from it will be MP Grading, Dealers, and Investors.  Us collectors will be left talking about the good old days (even though some are already talking the good old days) before grading and admiring or posters that we can't sell unless we send or $20 or more as he will up his price if/when it takes off. 

MP grading does (hope not) or does not understand the path upon which they are sending the hobby as a whole.  But why should they care, the guy is an IT person out to make money if I read between the lines and the experts are sitting on stacks of paper that if graded will only fatten their wallets... which if I were them and didn't care about the hobby would do the same.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #2673 on: May 15, 2012, 06:31:23 PM »

and here I was thinking if MPGrading and CGC had only been doing this a couple of years earlier, maybe Haggard would not have been able to scam people for nearly $2 million dollars.

But maybe Charlie is right, if there was no MPGrading, then posters wouldn't sell for a lot of money.  Oops, that's already happened.

Well certainly investors have never been in this hobby before now though, right?
Oops, I guess we're 20+ years too late to stop that also.
http://www.liveauctiontalk.com/free_article_detail.php?article_id=462

Although I agree that MPGrading should really perhaps just perfect and worry about MPAuthentication and doing their DNA stamp on posters to identify them for insurance purposes does seem to have some uses.
But leave the grading part alone. Without slabbing the item, grades are useless

The simple fact is that "investors" will never flock to this hobby, even without grading, as long as exit costs remain high (20%-30% for Bruce or Heritage), the need for some certainty and liquidity is far too variable for most investors, and price volatility is too extreme.

No, the best pieces/collections will continue to be bought by long-term collectors who have a love for the hobby.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2674 on: May 15, 2012, 07:23:20 PM »
and here I was thinking if MPGrading and CGC had only been doing this a couple of years earlier, maybe Haggard would not have been able to scam people for nearly $2 million dollars.

But maybe Charlie is right, if there was no MPGrading, then posters wouldn't sell for a lot of money.  Oops, that's already happened.

Well certainly investors have never been in this hobby before now though, right?
Oops, I guess we're 20+ years too late to stop that also.
http://www.liveauctiontalk.com/free_article_detail.php?article_id=462

Although I agree that MPGrading should really perhaps just perfect and worry about MPAuthentication and doing their DNA stamp on posters to identify them for insurance purposes does seem to have some uses.
But leave the grading part alone. Without slabbing the item, grades are useless

The simple fact is that "investors" will never flock to this hobby, even without grading, as long as exit costs remain high (20%-30% for Bruce or Heritage), the need for some certainty and liquidity is far too variable for most investors, and price volatility is too extreme.

No, the best pieces/collections will continue to be bought by long-term collectors who have a love for the hobby.

MP Grading and their DNA fingerprint and marking service, as well as authenticating the high end pieces from possible fakes is certainly a plus for the hobby, as the Haggard debacle clearly demonstrates. The grading issue makes sense, too. I was thinking about this scenario earlier. Let us say a poster is in the possession of MP Grading, is photographed, authenticated and DNA marked. It receives a 9.5 grading.

Said poster is now being folded (or rolled) to be sent back to the owner, with its certificate and DNA ID# and information. The person doing the rolling or refolding, accidentally slightly bumps the poster on a table edge or counter and creates a small ding. The grade just assigned is no longer valid-- in the blink of an eye. Or what if it is dinged somehow, while in transit? Or when removed from its package by the owner? And because the slabbing of posters will not (most likely) ever happen, the grade assigned could be difficult to maintain.

But what MP Grading is doing and offering, as a whole, is important and it is certainly understandable. And it isnt for only $10K posters. I would think that posters valued at $500.00 and over would all be qualified candidates (imo).

At the same time, grading lesser or inexpensive posters is something I cannot see them doing with tremendous regularity, either. They would be inundated and swimming in a sea of $10 and 20 dollar posters.  :o

-Jeff