Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203557 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #2400 on: April 29, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »
'Please remember this poster has been used in a cinemas so may show signs of wear'

Spotted here.

At least it goes well with those floor tiles.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2401 on: April 30, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »
the point is: no one here has any empirical data to back up any such claim, and on whose opinion is anyone fucking anyone.. You guys need to be more objective, rather than subjective

In a thread that was initiated by one dealer and championed by another, this response isn't surprising. But I will say the general attitude of 'no hard data = who cares' is a shame.

Also, objectivity/subjectivity has nothing to do with this, but to even go on this basis, objectivity (or literal and external reality) would be the fact that you can read others opinions for the contrary of what you cast aside. The all or nothing approach is an excuse to be disrespectful, flippant, and lazy.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Bruce

« Reply #2402 on: April 30, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
I started this thread as a joke, and offered to end it. But there are several people who are not dealers who like it a lot.

You must realize it doesn't benefit me in any way, both because I don't post my items here, and because everyone here knows about my auctions anyway.

I would say this is Thierry's and Holiday's call.

Bruce

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2403 on: April 30, 2012, 01:01:33 PM »
A Belgian NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959) (most likely reproduction) poster is being offered as the real deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170828894810?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

A couple things about this poster that caught my eye:

1. The biggest red flag is the lack of ANY print information on the bottom border (Imprime En Belgique), let alone the words in English, which would also identify this as a later repro.

2. The paper itself looks too thick and too white, IMO.

3. It looks like it was overly folded and the small tear was added to give it a sense of some use and age.

I wrote the seller last night. She wrote back quickly, saying that another person had also written her about the missing printer's info. Because it has an unmet reserve (even with 4 bids), no one has been hooked yet. She wrote me this morning, saying she had amended her posting, but in looking, it still describes this poster as "real," "genuine" and not a possible reproduction, so I'm not sure what she amended exactly.

I asked where she got it and she said she found it in an estate she was clearing out, so she assumed it was genuine.  :-\

-Jeff

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2404 on: April 30, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »
I started this thread as a joke, and offered to end it. But there are several people who are not dealers who like it a lot.

You must realize it doesn't benefit me in any way, both because I don't post my items here, and because everyone here knows about my auctions anyway.

I would say this is Thierry's and Holiday's call.

Bruce
Bruce,there is nothing wrong with any of your posts,keep em coming.

Stew

Charlie

« Reply #2405 on: April 30, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
A Belgian NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959) (most likely reproduction) poster is being offered as the real deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170828894810?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Bruce recently sold a chopped version of this poster w/o printer credits?  How can we be sure its a repro and not just a RR?

http://www.emovieposter.com/gallery/inc/archive_image.php?id=9057662

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2406 on: April 30, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »
I would think a RR would have the "Imprime En Belgique" on it, as well. As mentioned, later RR or reissues often had "Printed In Belgium" (in english) on them. Because this is void of anything, it caught my eye, and at least one other, who contacted this seller.

This piece of info is also always stressed to be on the lookout for, with Belgians (even tho a later repro of an original would also have this info on the border).

Unless there were certain times/studios in which Belgian posters were printed, free of any printer's mark?

Maybe it is legit, as well?

The mystery thickens.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:40:49 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2407 on: April 30, 2012, 02:32:07 PM »
Some don't have Imprime en Belgique on them, but you can tell by the phone number these ones have instead...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2408 on: April 30, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
Here are 2 closeups of the left and right bottom border corners, from this 1959 North By Northwest Belgian poster. Both contain printer information. Images courtesy of HA.

Full:

Left Corner:

Right Corner:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:41:50 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #2409 on: April 30, 2012, 02:49:36 PM »
This is one of my favorite threads to read. I certainly hope it doesn't, and see no reason why it should, get removed. I think it serves a useful and amusing purpose (as does the Post-Auction one).

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2410 on: April 30, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
 :-X
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2411 on: April 30, 2012, 03:26:18 PM »
Some don't have Imprime en Belgique on them, but you can tell by the phone number these ones have instead...

Paul, I have seen this too, but it was usually on older pieces from the 1920s, '30s and '40's:

Here is a close up of the printer's info, including the address and phone number, on a 1940's Belgian GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN poster (image court. of emovieposter). This particular poster does not have the exact words, Imprime En Belgique, printed on it.

"Cree' et Imprime par" translates into "Created and Printed by":

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:27:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2412 on: April 30, 2012, 03:46:14 PM »
Paul, I have seen this too, but it was usually on older pieces from the 1920s, '30s and '40's:

Here is a close up of the printer's info, including the address and phone number, on a 1940's Belgian GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN poster (image court. of emovieposter). This particular poster does not have the exact words, Imprime En Belgique, printed on it.

"Cree' et Imprime par" translates into "Created and Printed by":

Cree sounds more French than Belgique.
Stew

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2413 on: April 30, 2012, 03:52:33 PM »
Also, objectivity/subjectivity has nothing to do with this, but to even go on this basis, objectivity (or literal and external reality) would be the fact that you can read others opinions for the contrary of what you cast aside. The all or nothing approach is an excuse to be disrespectful, flippant, and lazy.

Ben.. it is neither flipant nor disrespectful.
there are 2 opinions on the subject, just like there are 2 opinions to everything. What you feel about something is not what I have to feel about the same subject. We are on opposite sides of the fence on the issue, which here, on this forum has been decided not by Bruce, not by myself, nor Harry, Dale, Mel or yourself. It was decided by Holiday & Thierry who will not censor anyone. If they decide to change the rules and Mel or myself continue to post after that point, it would be disrespectful.. Until that point, it is completely "lawful" by the rules as they are in place.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2414 on: April 30, 2012, 03:55:15 PM »
as someone of Belgian descent, I wish to inform you that in Belgium, several languages are spoken: Belgian, French, Dutch, Flemish, German, Italian and others.. this is why Belgian posters are in French, Flemish & Dutch or German and sometimes some English also

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2415 on: April 30, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
as someone of Belgian descent, I wish to inform you that in Belgium, several languages are spoken: Belgian, French, Dutch, Flemish, German, Italian and others.. this is why Belgian posters are in French, Flemish & Dutch or German and sometimes some English also

As someone who has watched Hercule Poirot I always understood Flemish was actually the Dutch language and that there was no such language called Belgian.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:19:10 PM by Silhouette »
David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2416 on: April 30, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »
Cree sounds more French than Belgique.
Stew

It is French, Stew.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2417 on: April 30, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »
As someone who has watched Hercule Poirot I always understood Flemish was actually the Dutch language and that there was no such language called Belgian.

Right, Dave. There is no such language simply referred to as "Belgian."

One may refer to a "Belgian French" dialect being spoken, however.

A quick search online found:

There are 3 official languages in Belgium: Dutch, French and German.

Dutch is spoken by 60% of the people, living in the Northern Flemish region.

French is spoken by 40% of the people, living in the Southern Walloon region.

German is spoken in a small part in Eastern Wallonia.

Most people speak at least one foreign language since everyone learns the second major language on school from (at least) the age of 10. German is spoken by less than 1% of the Belgians, living in a small eastern region. Most people of the German speaking region speak both other languages as well. Also a lot of people speak English. Learning languages as German and Spanish is also popular among the general population.

In the Flemish region, Dutch is the only official language.
In the Walloon region, French is the only official language.
The Brussels Capital Region is officially bi-lingual- French/Flemish.

There is also a part of people who speak not one of the official languages. Most of them are the first generation of immigrants. Most languages in this category are Turkish, Arabic and Italian.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_languages_are_spoken_in_Belgium#ixzz1tYdz2YgB
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:13:17 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2418 on: April 30, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »
It is French, Stew.  ;)
Yay,check me out,I know stuff.
 stew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2419 on: April 30, 2012, 04:45:17 PM »
Yay,check me out,I know stuff.
 stew

Oui, oui!   ;D

-Jeff

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2420 on: April 30, 2012, 04:52:21 PM »
A quick search online found:

There are 3 official languages in Belgium: Dutch, French and German.

OK, so Hercule was right - there no such language as Belgian, Flemish is Dutch and languages like Italian are spoken because they are immigrants and not because it is a language 'of' Belgium
David

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2421 on: April 30, 2012, 05:46:45 PM »
Flemish is an amalgamated language that involves parts of Dutch, French, German, Alsatian dialects etc.
Belgian is a slightty different variation of Flemish. Depending on what part of the state you are in (north, south, east, west) different dialects are spoken involving different parts of these languages. It is very much like Chinese languages where you have several major regional dialects that all rely on the same basics, but are each very different

in Belgium, a large % of the people speak all the local languages and infuse words from each into their own personal bastardization of the language

It's alot like being in Spanish Harlem in NYC where some may use this sentence with English & Spanish
"Oy conyo, what the Ferq are you doing Pinche idiota?"

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2422 on: April 30, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »
I should also mention, the common versions of languages spoken in Belgium are the French dialects of Belgian/Flemish and probably also French itself

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #2423 on: April 30, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
There is no language that is referred to as "Belgian", unless one means the language of the people known to Julius Caesar as the Belgae, after whom Belgium is named.
David

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2424 on: April 30, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »
Incidentally, I saw a friend of mine from college in Chicago last week and noticed he had a bunch of posters and crap in his closet. I found one of these FC posters ('works great on blood stains') beat to hell and laminated all curled up in a box. I asked him when he got it, and he laughed and said he got it at Suncoast after I told him about them being there. Never knew he went back and picked one up after myself and my roommate were tempted.

So there yinz go.

Good to know.  That was the same time-frame ('98-'02ish) that I made a point to look through the Suncoast posters any time I hit the mall.  I have a vague recollection of seeing the Fight Club character posters there, which wouldn't be surprising considering the Pitt draw factor...