Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203651 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1850 on: January 04, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
Thanks, Thierry.
I am not as anti-linen as some may be, but when it works, I think it works really well.

As you mention, the Italian paper is a detriment, but when you get a hold of some great paper that could use some insurance for the future, these are great candidates for preservation. I am having this particular poster put on linen with very minor restoration. I would like it to have a few holes filled and backed so the paper doesn't fall apart, but I also want it to look like what it is...an old movie poster.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #1851 on: January 10, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »
I shake my head in unbelief when I see people bidding up an item for more than it's selling in FINE condition on a vendors website.  And these two guys I have in mind who are on a bidding war look to be regular bidders on eMovie, you'd think they'd know. Oh well, saves me money.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:35:03 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1852 on: January 10, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »
I shake my head in unbelief when I see people bidding up an item for more than it's selling in FINE condition on a vendors website.  And these two guys I have in mind who are on a bidding war look to be regular bidders on eMovie, you'd think they'd know. Oh well, saves me money.

Bruce has lots of bidders who do not buy posters anywhere else, largely because of "trust issues"
when they buy from Bruce, they know what they're getting and how they'll be treated - even months or years down the road.

Likewise I also have bidders who tell me they don't buy anywhere else, and bidders who tell me they only bid at MPB or Bruce, or bidders who only bid with MPB, Bruce and Heritage.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #1853 on: January 10, 2012, 05:26:15 PM »
Bruce has lots of bidders who do not buy posters anywhere else, largely because of "trust issues"
when they buy from Bruce, they know what they're getting and how they'll be treated - even months or years down the road.

Likewise I also have bidders who tell me they don't buy anywhere else, and bidders who tell me they only bid at MPB or Bruce, or bidders who only bid with MPB, Bruce and Heritage.

Understandable.  Frankly it works out fine for me, because I know where I can buy it from a reputable seller for cheaper price and I don't have to shell out any money right now because it will probably still be there months later.

Bruce

« Reply #1854 on: January 11, 2012, 08:36:40 AM »
An incredible "bad" poster that is hard not to love (plus I have never seen it before):

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2439707

Bruce

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #1855 on: January 11, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »
"weird terror cages"

The terror cages in my dungeon are quite ordinary, so I'd like to see this film for some ideas just so I can weird mine up a bit.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1856 on: January 11, 2012, 01:42:45 PM »
The terror cages in my dungeon are quite ordinary, so I'd like to see this film for some ideas just so I can weird mine up a bit.

I guess you didn't walk into my warehouse last time you were Vegas, David.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #1857 on: January 22, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
Obvious reprints, pretty easy to see, and the undersize measurements are even detailed.

For about $40 you can get better repros without all the dings and creases. People amaze me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-James-Bond-Original-Movie-Posters-Together-1-Lot-Roger-Moore-Ian-Fleming-/140680453794
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1859 on: January 26, 2012, 09:06:51 PM »
Holy clueless buyers.

Those boys really need to visit their local APF before they take to bidding.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1860 on: January 27, 2012, 07:20:53 AM »
Obvious reprints, pretty easy to see, and the undersize measurements are even detailed.

For about $40 you can get better repros without all the dings and creases. People amaze me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-James-Bond-Original-Movie-Posters-Together-1-Lot-Roger-Moore-Ian-Fleming-/140680453794

He's selling more now - the other give away apart from the things you mention is the deliberate vague statement "blah blah blah, I have no experience of movie posters." - if he has no experience of movie posters, why advertise them as original in the title?!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140683880590?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Charlie

« Reply #1861 on: January 31, 2012, 08:47:26 PM »
So I was eyeing a pair of Japanese B1s (from the same film) in Bruce's auction and was a bit worried over the weekend since Holiday made the initial bid; but now as I check and see T is in the mix, I begin to wonder if perhaps my pockets just aren't deep enough to win the fight.  And since I am not one to screw around and play games congrats T; I'll just have to admire your pics...  Shit.

Charlie

« Reply #1862 on: January 31, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »
Strike that looks like T and Holidays pockets aren't deep enough either...  That Mark Lawd fella trumped at the last minute....

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1863 on: January 31, 2012, 08:54:09 PM »
FUCK YOU  Cl442358!!!!!!!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1864 on: January 31, 2012, 08:55:15 PM »
Strike that looks like T and Holidays pockets aren't deep enough either...  That Mark Lawd fella trumped at the last minute....

When marklawd starts, he never loses.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #1865 on: January 31, 2012, 08:57:08 PM »
Ya, MARKLAWD!! Lets go.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1866 on: January 31, 2012, 09:08:44 PM »
FUCK YOU  Cl442358!!!!!!!

Yow, that's a cool B1 but $420, 10 times as much as the US 1S????

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:09:42 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1867 on: January 31, 2012, 09:09:03 PM »

+1 unfortunately.

Luckily, he is gracious in victory... he sent me a link to an eBay auction for a poster he outbid me on at eMovie.  I ended up getting it cheaper.  Thanks Mark  :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:10:40 PM by Harry Caul »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1868 on: January 31, 2012, 09:10:03 PM »

All I really wanted in this auction was the Requiem for a Dream B1 and I got it.  The rest was pretty much an afterthought.  The question you have to ask yourself at some point is: "Will I be able to find this poster again at a cheaper price?"  When you buy as many posters as I do, one more or one less doesn't make much of a difference.  I always try very hard to resist Bruce's setup, which leads to bidding and overbidding and spending too much on a poster.  I would have like to own that Pearl Harbor, but I ultimately thought it went for too much.  Plus, I already have a B2.  Nothing to take out of Marklawd's win, but you have to set yourself mental limits.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1869 on: January 31, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »

And this... is a bit ridiculous.

Sorry Ho.

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1870 on: January 31, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »

I beat him just 3 weeks ago on a poster for my collection.
nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #1871 on: January 31, 2012, 09:39:36 PM »

Yeah, too close to the one sheet art(which I actually think is better, no cropping of Kirsten), I wanted the other style. Note to self, raise prices on remaining one-sheets.

Bruce

« Reply #1872 on: January 31, 2012, 10:57:10 PM »
"I always try very hard to resist Bruce's setup, which leads to bidding and overbidding and spending too much on a poster"

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1873 on: January 31, 2012, 11:01:53 PM »
 sm1

I knew you would pick on that line when I wrote it.  It's true, though.  Your setup is a pain in the ass.  I so want to play the game.

But I won't.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1874 on: January 31, 2012, 11:07:15 PM »
Yeah, too close to the one sheet art(which I actually think is better, no cropping of Kirsten), I wanted the other style. Note to self, raise prices on remaining one-sheets.

I don't know anyone, really, who loves Japanese B1's as much as I do.  I paid $25 for the US posters, and I don't think it's worth much more than that.  I also don't think the B1 for Melancholia is worth $420.  But, I really like the movie, and really love Japanese B1's, and you just never know if the damned thing is going to turn up again.

How many of you would pay large sums of money for some of the B1's in my collection that you haven't seen again?  E.g., No Country for Old Men.

It could be that another copy of the B1 shows up again, and that it goes for a lot less than what I paid.  That's the risk.  But for a situation like this with a movie I like and the fact that Japanese B1's can dry up overnight, I wouldn't take the risk of it not showing up again.

And, I keep saying, it's not about the money.  I'm happier to have spent the money and have the poster than to have to wait for another copy to come up, just be cause I don't want to spend that much.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery