Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2203557 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1775 on: December 15, 2011, 12:48:49 AM »
It is a pretty nice poster Thierry but man I could find a lot of really special posters for $1,500!

Thanks Chris, but that wasn't really the point of my question.  I have many posters worth $1,500 or more, and hopefully will get many more before I die.  The question was more... is it worth it, to which Silence seems to have an answer.  There are so posters that I would spend $5k on in a heartbeat, like Laura, and some that I need comforting on.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1776 on: December 15, 2011, 02:42:16 AM »

Now, that's what I'm talking about...
McGinnis...nobody does Bond better.
 clap

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #1777 on: December 15, 2011, 08:14:47 AM »
Back to that elusive "worth" thing again.  Market value is more about how others place worth on an item than how you do that.

Personally, I think that poster is by far one of the nicest Bond designs out there.  The market tends to value the US original 1 sheets higher though.

Can't really ask me, as I have never spent more than $500, and seldom more than $120 on any poster.  I have a lot of "junk" that gives me great pleasure.
-Jay-

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1778 on: December 15, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »
Thanks Chris, but that wasn't really the point of my question.  I have many posters worth $1,500 or more, and hopefully will get many more before I die.  The question was more... is it worth it, to which Silence seems to have an answer.  There are so posters that I would spend $5k on in a heartbeat, like Laura, and some that I need comforting on.

T

I think if YOU need comforting, then you should let it go.  What's the point of getting it if there's even a seed of doubt to cloud your feelings about the purchase?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1779 on: December 15, 2011, 10:13:54 AM »

T

You did ask for opinions - and my opinion is I would rather buy a different poster for $1,500 (but then again, I am no Bond fanatic)

But I also opined it has some pretty colours so that helps to offset its "Bondness"...
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1780 on: December 15, 2011, 11:49:39 AM »
I do pick up a fair few Bond posters, but I (and don't get me wrong, I do like it) would rather spend $1500 on something much more special. In-fact, I could buy 3 or more posters for that kind of money that would in my opinion......er, can I say piss all over it!!
It's more than a Hobby...

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1781 on: December 15, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »
It's a lovely poster, T. Great art.

If your gut says yes, go for it.

I didn't realise there was a baby re-release, will have to keep an eye out for it...it's more suited to my shallow pockets!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1782 on: December 15, 2011, 12:43:45 PM »

clap

Ted.. you do know that McGinnis only did the bottom panel don't you??.
the top two panels are done by Frank McCarthy
but it is a very nice poster no matter who did it

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1783 on: December 15, 2011, 12:58:29 PM »
I just checked Heritage.  They sold one for $2k a month ago, so I feel better about my purchase.  I think I'm going to go for it... 

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7043&lotNo=83373

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1784 on: December 15, 2011, 12:59:27 PM »
oh.. here's a fun line
eatbrie Thierry hates "French Grande"

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1785 on: December 15, 2011, 01:03:38 PM »
Yeah, very funny, the only problem is that now I can't post pictures anymore because they come straight from my website and APF doesn't recognize Eatshit.com.

Actually, if you do a search for eatshit.com, you get this.  Disturbing!!!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1786 on: December 15, 2011, 01:43:28 PM »
Ted.. you do know that McGinnis only did the bottom panel don't you??.
the top two panels are done by Frank McCarthy
but it is a very nice poster no matter who did it

Yes, I did Rich.  I should have specified.
Those McGinnis girls always give me tunnel vision.
 hitself
McCarthy is one of those unsung greats that some of today's younger poster collectors might be unfamiliar with.
At one time, I had several of his movie posters...today, only this:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1787 on: December 15, 2011, 08:00:38 PM »
 clap

Nothing like this French double panel.  Now, that's a poster.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1788 on: December 15, 2011, 08:05:02 PM »
So I've decided to buy the French Dr. No.  It's too good of a deal to pass.  Plus, if I ever decide to put it up, it will look good next to one that I acquired earlier this year.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1789 on: December 15, 2011, 08:13:15 PM »
I hate rich people.  :P

Seriously. Great decision!

You should put them both up. A great set they would make. I love the crap I put on my walls I can only dream of putting some of your stuff on my walls.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #1790 on: December 15, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »
Nice pick up T,It`s going to the right place..

Stew

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1791 on: December 15, 2011, 08:29:26 PM »
I think I made a mistake by stating how much the Bond poster was going to cost me if I ever bought it.  It is not something I like to do.  I just needed to know what the board thought and I got carried away.  For that I apologize. 

I am not rich, Zorba.  I'm doing okay, but I'm not rich.  Rich is always relative, especially in the neighborhood I live in and with the friends I have.  Trust me, there are a lot of things I want that I can't afford.  I still have a gigantic mortgage to pay on my house and every penny counts.  And like everyone else on here, I droll over other people's collections.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #1792 on: December 15, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »
I think I made a mistake by stating how much the Bond poster was going to cost me if I ever bought it.  It is not something I like to do.  I just needed to know what the board thought and I got carried away.  For that I apologize. 

I am not rich, Zorba.  I'm doing okay, but I'm not rich.  Rich is always relative, especially in the neighborhood I live in and with the friends I have.  Trust me, there are a lot of things I want that I can't afford.  I still have a gigantic mortgage to pay on my house and every penny counts.  And like everyone else on here, I droll over other people's collections.

T

I was making fun T.

I love your taste in posters period.  :)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1793 on: December 15, 2011, 08:35:22 PM »
Nothing like this French double panel.  Now, that's a poster.

T

that's a nice double Thierry hates "French Grande" eatbrie

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1794 on: December 15, 2011, 08:36:22 PM »
ah dammit.. Holiday reset the filter so now I actually have to say eatshit

dammit

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1795 on: December 15, 2011, 08:41:51 PM »
I was making fun T.

I love your taste in posters period.  :)

I understand, but this is a very competitive hobby and I know I don't like to hear what people spend on what I can't afford.  I'm better now than I was 5 years ago, which was already better than 5 years earlier, so this is what I can hope for all of us.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1796 on: December 15, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
ah dammit.. Holiday reset the filter so now I actually have to say eatshit

dammit

Yeah, because I couldn't post pictures, Rich.  You can still call me eatshit, though.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

guest4185

« Reply #1798 on: December 15, 2011, 09:47:49 PM »
Can't really ask me, as I have never spent more than $500, and seldom more than $120 on any poster.  I have a lot of "junk" that gives me great pleasure.

Me too - i get a lot of pleasure from many `lesser' titles that i happen to like

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1799 on: December 16, 2011, 12:34:57 AM »
but this is a very competitive hobby
T

Is it really?  I have never thought of it that way and I think approaching a hobby as a competition is very wrong (much like being a completist!)
Chris