Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2215570 times)

Der Januskopf

Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #1725 on: November 25, 2011, 04:53:38 PM »
Hi all..

This item is currently on ebay. The seller calls it a herald for Bride of Frank. I wrote the seller and asked about it, saying it appears to be more like a theater ad page. The seller about bit my head off, saying i was ignorant, didnt know what i was asking or talking about, and that he would not entertain more questions. I was taken aback, to say the least, as I asked questions. I also sent him a link to a genuine herald that Heritage had sold, for BOF, back in 2005.

This seller is also asking over $10,000.00 for this.   :o

So.. to all the "herald collectors and sellers" here, as well as Grey Smith-- IS this a first release herald? Or a theater ad? The other thing that caught my eye was the odd looking white border around the BoFrank side of this. Thoughts?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #1726 on: November 25, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
it's a local theatre herald
this ass clown has been hawking the item for some time with that price

old news

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #1727 on: November 25, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »
As a novice i would say its a theatre ad,
Why would all those other performances for different films be advertised on the same Herald?

Stew

Der Januskopf

« Reply #1728 on: November 25, 2011, 05:20:54 PM »
My thought, too, was that it was a local ad or herald, especially with the film titles on the reverse. Was it common for heralds to also feature other titles and imagery on them? I always believed a herald was designed and printed for a specific title only? Or is it because this was printed for and by the specific theater?

And they chose to add "Coming Attractions" on the flip side?

My thought, too, was that the seller's lashing out was due to the fact that he KNOWS what he is selling is not what he claims, and he bristles when asked about it.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 05:23:32 PM by Der Januskopf »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1729 on: November 25, 2011, 06:51:18 PM »
it is a "local theatre herald" done by the theatre itself for their entire week's features

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #1730 on: November 25, 2011, 07:00:07 PM »
it is a "local theatre herald" done by the theatre itself for their entire week's features
Thanks Rich,pretty much problem solved,..

Cheers

Stew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1731 on: December 01, 2011, 11:20:15 PM »
Read this scary tale from Bruce's latest auction:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2403704

After we auctioned the War of The Worlds style B half-sheet, one of our consignors looked at his example on the wall (which he had framed over ten years before), and to his dismay, he realized it had faded over those ten years. Worse yet, he had it framed side-by-side with the Invasion of the Body Snatchers style B half-sheet (he also had a framed "The Thing" half-sheet on the same wall), and all three had faded (the framer he had used was an expensive one, and they had assured him that they had used high quality UV Plexiglas, but they had saved money by using non UV instead). After it completely sunk in what had happened, he thought it would make sense to consign both of them to us, so that he could put the sad affair out of his mind (the framer who did not use UV glass is out of business, so he has no one to sue). While the reds in this poster have indeed faded to where they are now a light orange
Chris

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1732 on: December 01, 2011, 11:24:44 PM »
It's scary to think that to be absolutely sure that the framer is doing its job, that you actually have to see the material in its original packing to be sure it's UV filtering.

Read this scary tale from Bruce's latest auction:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2403704

After we auctioned the War of The Worlds style B half-sheet, one of our consignors looked at his example on the wall (which he had framed over ten years before), and to his dismay, he realized it had faded over those ten years. Worse yet, he had it framed side-by-side with the Invasion of the Body Snatchers style B half-sheet (he also had a framed "The Thing" half-sheet on the same wall), and all three had faded (the framer he had used was an expensive one, and they had assured him that they had used high quality UV Plexiglas, but they had saved money by using non UV instead). After it completely sunk in what had happened, he thought it would make sense to consign both of them to us, so that he could put the sad affair out of his mind (the framer who did not use UV glass is out of business, so he has no one to sue). While the reds in this poster have indeed faded to where they are now a light orange
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1733 on: December 01, 2011, 11:32:55 PM »
It's scary to think that to be absolutely sure that the framer is doing its job, that you actually have to see the material in its original packing to be sure it's UV filtering.

Although none of my posters are in the WotW 1/2 sheet $$$ range, this horror story (and that's exactly what it is  mesmrized) makes me very happy that the materials for all my frames were shipped to me with the UV plexi stickers still attached!
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1734 on: December 02, 2011, 01:27:22 AM »

while UV plexi may help to lessen bad light waves, it is not meant to prevent all fading.
the best way to avoid any fading, is to keep your posters in a drawer
the second best is to not open the curtains
the next best is to make sure you don't have your posters on walls that get direct or reflected sunlight, which is the worst kind of light.

Looking at the WOTW poster, I think it was on a wall that got direct or indirect sunlight and nothing will prevent fading in either case, no matter what kind of glass or plexi you use

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1735 on: December 02, 2011, 01:29:06 AM »
I might also add, I rotate all my displays, even if they only get indoor light. all light fades inks
right now none of my Chandler 1sheets are displayed.. they were up for a couple years.. now they're stacked away

-------

Charlie

« Reply #1736 on: December 02, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »
Is it just me or do the S2 recreations kind of cheapen Bruce's signature auction...  I keep seeing an awesome poster an say to myself "wow, how awesome to see... oh wait its a licensed repro.  Stone litho, yeah but not an original"  I am browsing and keep getting fooled and it's annoying me.... 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1737 on: December 02, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
Is it just me or do the S2 recreations kind of cheapen Bruce's signature auction...  I keep seeing an awesome poster an say to myself "wow, how awesome to see... oh wait its a licensed repro.  Stone litho, yeah but not an original"  I am browsing and keep getting fooled and it's annoying me.... 

Probably don't belong in a "major" auction but I want all of them!

Not sure they are licensed. A lot of the pre-1978 posters were never properly copyrighted and are in the public domain.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1738 on: December 02, 2011, 03:30:47 PM »
Charlie, I wouldn't say that about the S2's but in Tuesday's auction I do see posters that I wonder why Bruce listed in that segment

Mel, re: licensing.. yes they are licensed, but not via the studios. Via AFI
if you notice, Bruce properly lists them as "recreations" because none of them that I am aware of are  reproductions. Each was completely redrawn by an artist whose signature is in the small print and as such, none of them are exact duplicates of anything - just close recreations contracted by AFI for their 100 best list of something

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #1739 on: December 02, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »
The Halloween auction sucked up a lot of the best stuff.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1740 on: December 04, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
I don't want anyone to miss this.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1741 on: December 04, 2011, 01:58:30 PM »
WOW THIERRY.. HE HAS THE FOG ALSO AND WILL SELL AS A PAIR!!!!!

mesmrized

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1742 on: December 04, 2011, 04:04:48 PM »
Damn, auction ended with nary a bid.  Wonder if he'll sell it outright for less...maybe 50?  wynk

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1743 on: December 04, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »
Damn, auction ended with nary a bid.  Wonder if he'll sell it outright for less...maybe 50?  wynk

cents????

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1744 on: December 04, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »
Cents?
No, no, no....
50 wet farts!

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #1745 on: December 04, 2011, 11:52:53 PM »
Cents?
No, no, no....
50 wet farts!

That's just wrong

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1746 on: December 05, 2011, 06:38:21 PM »
I was gonna photoshop "Louie was here" or "Barney Frank was here" on his back pocket, but I don't like to mess with copyrighted work...  wynk

Bruce

« Reply #1747 on: December 06, 2011, 08:26:52 AM »
On the S2s, we very accurately describe them, and we have NEVER had anyone complain after receiving one (because they DO look far better in person) and we have had many people who have sent us happy e-mails telling us they have framed and displayed them.

As of right now, many of these are at insanely low prices, and even the highest priced ones are still HALF of the original retail prices of $325 each!

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/s2/13.html

The below is currently just $68, and there are others as low as $23!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:28:15 AM by Bruce »

Charlie

« Reply #1748 on: December 06, 2011, 09:12:51 PM »
Bruce you need to put a trash talk board on each auction so that when that other basterd bids you up you can say "Take it you fucking rich asshole!" 

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1749 on: December 06, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »
Bruce you need to put a trash talk board on each auction so that when that other basterd bids you up you can say "Take it you fucking rich asshole!" 

LOL.. I have asked Bruce for this before

i want stuff like: Hah! take that, suck on this XXXXX, oh no you don't, nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah and okay scumbag, you win....

-------